Pages

▼

Monday, 28 September 2026

Paying attention.

 I really should take more notice when I am dashing around a supermarket and throwing things in my trolley. A quick whip round the small Tesco at Barton on Saturday for just a few items to see me through, was all I went in for. I am sort of familiar with this store, so this should be easy and only take ten minutes. 

You may have noticed that my choice of quiche was not what I normally buy from Aldi. Notice the word 'bacon'. Oh well never mind. Maybe I can pick out all the dead animal pieces and eat the rest. 

I cut a slice for my dinner last night, and started poking it around with a knife and fork to separate what I could eat, and discard the flesh. I nibbled the pastry, it was like a lump of tasteless hard rock. With a feeling sick moment, I gave up, and opted for an egg on toast with grated cheese on top. 
This morning my garden birds are having a feast. The fat pigeons will be getting even fatter. 

Now I get ready for Crafty Club. Have a good day. 

Toodle pip.   ilona

7 comments:

  1. I’ve been caught like that before, especially with pancetta (fancy bacon bits) in macaroni cheese etc. I love homemade quiche, but can’t be bothered with making pastry (also I don’t think it’s worth the calories). I just make a large omelette, with cottage cheese mixed in with the beaten eggs, which makes it lighter textured as well as boosting the protein. Add some veggies and any carbs that need using up (cooked potatoes / rice), mature cheese on top and finished under the grill. Nice cold as well. Supermarket quiches are usually under-filled with leaden pastry. Have you tried a readymade Spanish-style omelette with potato and onion? Lidl do a nice one. Very firm, cuts up cleanly for a buffet., and longlife (generally a month or two). Salty though. Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pigeons are going to have terrible headaches from all that salt and nitrates. It looks horrid, doesn't even look like bacon, yuck. Charlotte.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quiche is so easy to make and can be much tastier than bought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss my mums quiches :-( she would be 96 today. Died 18 years ago, and I still have her recipe book with cut out recipies from magazines,... all covered in cooking stains,... :-( Norma.

      Delete
  4. I wouldn't have eaten this as the taste of the bacon would have still been there even with the meat removed. I hope the birds enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn’t that so disappointing when we make mistakes like that. Hopefully the birds enjoyed. Since they rarely have bacon hope it won’t be too much of a health hazard. lol Take care mother, rest well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make my own quiches - the supermarket ones are crap. Mine have a deep topping and good pastry . . .

    ReplyDelete

Comments are open.