Sunday 29 March 2020

What a racquet

And finally......the badminton racquet is finished. It wasn't going to end up like this, it's not the picture I had in mind when I first thought of it, but it's ended up ok. The handle and frame were already pink, I wrapped some bright pink wool with a sparkly element over it. I see the lollipop trees are leaning a bit. 
First I wove the background onto the mesh. Then made up the rest as I went along.



The green leafy trim around the edge was white, I coloured it with nail varnish. There is a little gap at the bottom where it didn't quite meet.






Covered the back with a piece of snooker table green baize. Just need to attach the wire across to hang it.

My first idea was a single tree made with wrapped wool, but I made it too big. I will use it on another project.




I've got another project waiting to be started, if I can find the right bits. And a plan 'B' for a second project. Must keep the mind occupied. 
Onwards and upwards. This lockdown is not much different to how I normally live my life. The only difference is I can't go out in the car on sunny days to another area. Can't stop and chat to people in the street, a quick shout across the road will have to do for now. I don't like shopping anyway and only go when I have to, when I need food for me, food for the cats, and go to the bank. The difference now is that I don't dawdle, in and out, do what I have to do, then get the hell out of there. I don't like crowded places, so it's ok with me to avoid them. And I can continue with the Walk 1000 Miles Challenge because I can walk from my door. I can walk at night in the dark when I see no one, or use the footpaths around the edge of the village. Eventually the situation might improve, just have to keep calm and wait.
Toodle pip.  ilona

22 comments:

  1. Brill, brill, brill. Love it.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bri. Looking forward to seeing your next stitching masterpiece.

      Delete
  2. I love your imagination! I am lucky enough to have a brother who does my shopping. I am moderately high risk but don't mind isolation. Am glad for bloggers like you though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to slow my blogging down, but is hasn't turned out that way.

      Delete
  3. yes, brilliant ! You know Ilona, whatever you make is extremely neat. Talk about imagination. lol. My life isn't so different. I shop local .Don't go to big supermarkets cos I don't drive so I couldn't carry a lot of things anyway. I also don't like crowded places either. I walk round my 2 local parks. I would do country paths like you do . ( just not as far) Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caz. We are twins. If I go to a big supermarket I only shop in a fraction of it. I don't need to look at stuff I am never going to buy.

      Delete
  4. I like the tiny stitches on those lollypop trees - french knots, right? You are so good at embroidery! You have so many clever, creative ideas! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen. Yes, French Knots, I am in love with them.

      Delete
  5. Your imagination is brilliant. I love the leafy trim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I came across the leafy trim in my broken jewellery/bead box. Don't know where I got it from, but it was more or less the right length I needed. I tried to close the gap at the bottom, I don't think it is that noticeable.

      Delete
  6. I may have to join the walking challenge to keep track of my new activity. For two weeks I was terribly sick, so am very grateful to be able to take walks now. My grandson (age 11) does triple my distance on his bicycle as he accompanies me.
    Your picture is unique. Maybe my old racquetball equipment can be useful, after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be in despair if I couldn't get out and walk. It is my lifeline.

      Delete
  7. What a great imagination and talent you have. Thanks for showing it to us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your amazing, your work is lovely and so different. You are thinking like me about the look down is similar to what I do everyday except you have a car but I go on buses except of course now the buses have stop in the village. I sorted all my wool out today and did quite a bit of crochet on my blanket. I had a couple of phone calls one was from my GD who was telling me she had to do a 13 weeks training she is in the police starting next week. So hopefully everything will be finished then and we can start living again.
    Have a good week ilona.
    Hazel c uk 🌈🌈🌈

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a couple of phone calls yesterday. It was nice to chat to people I haven't seen in ages.

      Delete
  9. Your latest piece reminds me of sunny,happy,carefree holidays during the 1960s with my mum and dad x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful creation as always Ilona. Yes I'm glad to be back in touch with a few old friends, ladies I used to work with years ago. If nothing else, this lockdown seems to be a chance to rekindle old friendships and take stock of what's really important in life. A couple of small things I miss are church bells on a Sunday morning and the sound of little kids out playing at the nearby school. Let's hope after this ends we will appreciate life more than ever. Stay safe and well Ilona x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an excellent reuse of an item. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea. The prettiest badminton racquet I have ever seen. I like the wrapped wool tree too. I don't do crafty things, but I like seeing the things others do. I'd rather read a book than work out how to do fiddly things. My mum would have loved stuff like this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Lovely work on that racquet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're going to need your own show at the Art Center soon!! I'm so impressed by all you have done.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.