Monday 26 July 2021

An incomplete book review.

I am not a fast reader. I slow right down to try and digest all the information. This is a book which can be picked up over and over again. It will be difficult to review the whole thing in one go. I am 145 pages into it so I will make a start now, and maybe come back to it later. 
At the end of the book there are references to all the information Laura has gleaned from a myriad of web sites. Everything she has published can be verified. I will use this list later for extra information. 

Chapter 9 is about coercion.  In 1956 social psychologist Albert Biderman investigated and reported on how Chinese and Korean interrogators brainwashed prisoners of war. His studies resulted in the Bidermans Chart of Coercion. Doctor Harrie Bunker Smith, a psychologist, compared some of the Governments tactics to psychological abuse. In an interview with Laura she said she sees a parallel with an abusive relationship, because she is trained in domestic abuse. 

Here is a brief rundown of some of the points she makes. 

Isolation. Stay at home orders, isolation from loved ones. 

24/7 news and social media flooded with Government and public health advertising. 

Isolation and loneliness affect sleep and physical health.

Fines threatened for activities which were previously normal. Threats of repeated lockdowns when compliance is not enough. 

Re opening of some social and sporting activities, then taken away again. 

Proclaiming that we must not act on basic human instincts, hugging family.

Shaming people for struggling to wear masks, without knowing their reasons. 

Enforcing trivial demands like standing on dots in shops and following illogical rules. 

Bunker Smith believes people are getting used to being controlled by the Government. A bit like domestic abuse, the goalposts are moved. You wait to be told when you are allowed, and it can be taken away from you. People in an abusive relationship get very angry when they are called out if they are not ready to hear what's going on. 

This is only a tiny example of how the book digs deep. Laura has covered all aspects of the questions set out on the back cover. 

To my readers. Armed with knowledge and an understanding of what is going on might help you deal better with the situation. On the other hand you may wish to ignore what is going on, that is your choice. My impression so far. From what I have been researching on the internet, this book confirms a lot about my perception of the situation. From what I have read so far I am keen to follow it through to the end. There are still a lot of unanswered questions. I'm not sure that there ever will be an end though, I do feel that it will not be a happy one.  

Now I need to go outside and water my plants. I thought it might rain overnight but it didn't. Some of them will be drooping. 

Thanks for popping in. We'll catch up soon. Toodle pip.   ilona

19 comments:

  1. There are certainly some factors about this pandemic that don't stack up.And some very worrying undertones that dehumanise us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. Quite a lot I think when you dig more deeply. The language they use is meant to make us subservient.

      Delete
  2. I am reading it too, before it gets withdrawn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura is thinking about writing a sequel.

      Delete
  3. I also believe that David Cameron frightened the Scots into not voting for independence when they had their referendum. Then when we had the Brexit vote in 2016, we realised what had happened, and so people voted to leave Europe. I'm not saying if that's a good or a bad thing, I'm just saying that fear was definitely a tactic in the Brexit campaign & Scottish referendum. Thanks for opening our eyes Ilona, you are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't take much notice of the Brexit campaign. I was getting bored with it as it dragged on. I now think it was leading up to what is happening now. The EU was getting too big, I feel they were heading towards the Great Reset, one world one government, and globalisation. I think we did the right thing to get out. It might be a rough ride now, we have to put up with the inconveniences, but the war we are now in is a real one and has to be won.

      Delete
    2. Absolutely. You've given me a lot of food for thought.

      Delete
    3. Ilona. I don't think we have 'got out' at all. What exactly has changed except we now have to give a whole load of money to the EU. I am sure you have noticed that the leaders in just about every country are following the same agenda. The EU are not the only ones heading towards One World Government, we all are.

      Delete
    4. You are right, there are still some lose ends that need tidying up.

      Delete
  4. I'm a few pages behind you Ilona! I've got to the bit about Edward Bernays the Father of PR and how together with the CIA he manipulated the Cold War.

    I was wandering around Sainsbugs at the weekend happy in my own maskless little world when a woman almost threw her husband against the shelves out of my way. Couldn't believe it. If I'd said boo to her she would probably have fainted. Left me thinking that the government had done a very good job on her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in Aldi on Friday night, I asked the check out lady if many people had given up the mask. She said it is about 50/50 at the moment. So some have, but not all. There is talk of bringing the mask mandate back, in August.

      Delete
  5. We have a liar as PM who is incompetent and lots of cronyism giving mates billions for PPE and Test and Trace and the whole of his government. Dawn Butler called him a liar and was told to leave parliment for the day but she had the guts to say what has to be said. Our press run by billionaires give the Tory government an easy ride as they don't want to upset their means of keeping their billions. Other countries like Newzealand has handled this pandemic much better. Lockdown sooner better workable test and Trace and proper PPE for our brave workers in our NHS which the Tories are privatising and only giving 3% pay rise after all their hard work with several dying because of lack of proper PPE The vaccine has been thoroughly tested Drs and scientists have spent their lives working on vaccines and with lots of support got to the public a lot quicker then usual because of the urgency of the pandemic. People have died because of listening to conspiracy theorists and so called experts so peddle their views to make money. I have and my family are glad to take a vaccine for protection and because protects other people. I hope we can get rid of this Tory government and a decent politition take on the Labour Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m surprised at your reply to Teresa. Don’t you allow others to have a different opinion?
      Anyhoo..for what it’s worth. I was/am a mask wearer (when required) was happy to stick to the rules. But now things are on the up (so to speak) me & hubby are back to doing the things we enjoy again. Have already been away. Booked again for October & Christmas. No complaints from me.

      Delete
    2. Barb, I have published Teresa's comment, I have allowed her to voice her opinion. This is my blog it is not a forum. People with opposing views can put their boxing gloves away, there will be no punch ups here.

      I hope things work out well for you for your future holidays.

      Delete
  6. I haven't been afraid of this whole Covid thing much for several reasons. 1) My Depression era parents taught me to get info, make a plan & be prepared fo change to other options as the situation develops. 2) My mother had a Master's degree in public health & I picked up quite a bit assisting her, like Annie Sullivan did for Helen Keller. She wasn't handicapped but she had 3 children, worked full time & went to school half time in her 40s!!3) Having been through a domestic violence situation of actual attempts to kill me or my children & we survived that, what do I have to fear from mindless germs??
    Hope that you & your readers are changing the things that can be changed, enduring the things that you can't, & having the wisdom to tell the difference.
    Bye for now, KMC from Oregon, USA.
    PS-- making plans now in case the smoke from the western forest fires blows this way like it did last year. Our Bootleg inferno is getting quite a lot of PR, even internationally!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your story. If we can pull through life's misery we can become stronger. Recognising when something is wrong can be the start of something better. There is always an answer.

      Delete
  7. Hi llona as l said before l was scared into having both jabs and regret having them as they made me feel so ill. I will not be having the third as a top up as l have learnt valuable lessons and should have listened to what my gut was telling me instead of running scared by main stream media. I have been asked to self test twice a week but l am not sticking anything down my throat or up my nose. Work don't like it as they want us to record our testing on the government website and l don't know what is on those tests and l refuse to be a government Guinea pig. As always llona l really respect your thoughts on this issue you tell the truth as it is. I just wish l had the courage of my convictions not to have had both jabs l truly hope and pray l am not storing up trouble for myself in the future as l know there will be consequences for someone like me who took the jabs out of pure fear. Take care llona and keep on being your wonderful self xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lee Lee. Don't be too hard on yourself, everyone makes mistakes. Just carry on looking after yourself, healthy eating and exercise, and stop worrying. Try distracting yourself by keeping busy. A new hobby, going outside, seek out the calm in the countryside, near water, sea shore or lake. A walk in the woods. The future is uncertain for everyone, so you are not alone.

      Delete
  8. Bless you llona brilliant advice as always 😊❤️ xx

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.