Monday 30 March 2009

Diesel In My Veins

I watched a programme about lorry drivers in the Scottish Highlands, today, and it made me a little bit sad. There were two drivers taking their Class 1 HGV test, the anticipation as they were waiting for the examiner, and the elation when both of them proudly waved their pass certificates. Memories came flooding back to when I gained my Class 1, I remember the day well, I was so proud of myself.

Driving a lorry was my life for 32 years, I was so lucky to be doing the job I loved. It wasn't just a job, it was the excitement of always going somewhere, always on the road, the freedom of not being tied to one place, and seeing lots of different places and people. It was a job that suited my personality, I have always been a bit of a loner, so to go off on a long journey was pure bliss.

Why am I a little bit sad? Because I don't do it any more, and I miss it. I don't want to drive 60 hours a week like I did before, it would be nice to just do the odd trip now and then, more as a hobby. No one understands the draw of the open road, apart from the people who are continually pounding up and down them. You never get it out of your system, I definately have got 'Diesel In My Veins'
Daily spend - £5 Tesco late shop reduced prices.

3 comments:

  1. Could you register with a temp agency and just do the odd run? I used to work in a job agency and employed temp lorry drivers - we were always looking for reliable drivers with up to date licences. Might be worth considering?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not enjoy driving but I do understand the pleasure in travelling... somehow the destination was not really the point... the journey was always the happy bit... especially when I was young and single... travelling with small children is not so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip, Caroline. I have been employed by an agency for the last seven years, driving for B & Q, untill it was announced that they would be closing the depot. The reason I stayed with this agency was they could give me enough work in this one job, I knew what I was
    doing, it was booked a week in advance. I keep in touch with them to see if there is anything else, but the jobs situation in North Lincolnshire is dire, almost no driving jobs about.

    I have been with several agencies, they promise work, they want to sign you up, then you wait. They ring you with last minute, drop everything, go now, totally unsuitable jobs, forty miles away, because they want to fill their targets. Your twelve hour working day turns into fifteen hours of hard slog. Sorry, but I am not impressed with agencies, it suited me years ago while I was still learning, but not now. I am not one to dwell on this, moving on is my bag, one door closes and another opens, but I still have the need to move about. Maybe it will materialise in another way. Ilona

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.