Thursday 1 April 2010

On the road again!

I've come over all excited, something amazing has happened, I've been offered a job. I took my car in for a service this morning and as I walked across the road to spend some time in the library while I waited for it, I saw that the fair has come to town. Now fairground people favour old British lorries for their workhorses rather than the posher foreign types. There are still a lot of Foden's and ERF's about even though they haven't built any new ones for years in this country. The old ones just refuse to give up, and with a lot of love and attention they will give many years of service, going round the clock several times.

Lucky I had my camera with me as I found these three beauties. I've had many a love affair with an ERF. I remember driving one just like this, for British Road Services on the Crompton Cable contract. It was a beast, twin splitter gear box, couldn't find the gears, like stirring a rice pudding, I played some lovely tunes on it. Brings back memories.

I was positively drooling when a guy who was hitching up his trailer came over to speak to me. Well, I'm in my element when I find someone who talks trucks. I was rabbiting on about all the jobs I had done with ERF's, Leicester Heavy Haulage being my favourite. Lo and behold, he comes from Leicester. I mentioned that I had recently reached retirement age, and I was beginning to miss the life on the road. How I would love to get back into a cab again.
A broad smile crept across his face, 'We need some drivers', he said. I couldn't believe my ears, I said, 'What, really.' The next thing, I was sitting in his posh living trailer, with his wife making us a cup of tea, and talking about what the job entailed. He explained that I wouldn't have to do any of the heavy manual work of erecting and dismantling the rides, but I would have to work on the rides when the fair was open. Taking money in the pay booths, or collecting money from the punters when they are already sitting in their seats.
He said I would have to have a trial on the Waltzers to see how my balance was on a moving platform, as it could be a bit tricky to start with. They usually find lots of coins underneath the ride after it has been taken down due to the attendant stumbling and missing his pocket. They even had one guy knocked off his feet by one of the cars because he wasn't paying attention. I told him I have a very good sense of balance because I am a very good ice skater, he seemed to like that.
Anyway, I have got to go back tonight for a trial run. The man, Jim, said come at 7 o clock, then we can see how you cope in the dark as well, and you can meet the rest of the gang. He said if you are happy with it you can come for six months. It seems a tight schedule, with a fair few miles between the bookings.
Wow, this is all a bit quick, I'd better get onto Sue to take my cats for me. Then I'll have to get some steel toecap boots. Not sure where I am going to live, he did say they had a small trailer for me. I'll let you know how I get on at the trial ;0)

8 comments:

  1. How exciting! You are planning on running away to join the fair!

    Good luck at the trial tonight - it sounds like it's going to be great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how wonderful! You never know what is around the corner do you? sounds very romantic... I hope you will have time to let us know how it goes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fab spending Summer with a fair it sounds a real adventure. Good luck and don't spend all your wages on the hook a duck stall :)
    twiggy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. How romantic............you've run away with the gypsies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you have a wireless laptop to bring with you, I'd hate to miss out on your adventure! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no, boohoo big cries lots of tears ;0(
    The boss said he never gives anyone a job on >>>April the 1st<<<
    GOTCHA

    ReplyDelete
  7. JEEEEEEEZZZZ.....I fell for it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet they give you the job! They`d be daft not to. You`ve got bags of energy, - just the type of person a fair ground needs. Best of luck!!! What a terrific adventure!!! Keep us posted with lots of pictures! Nobody can say that Ilona lives a boring life when retired.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.