Thursday 12 December 2013

Let's make a bag

Thank you all for your comments on yesterdays post, there was some interesting stuff there. It's great when you take the time to write about your experiences, we can all learn from them.
The weather has been miserable today, so I have been playing with fabric, and bopping around the room to the music on Radio 2. I had a smashing salad lunch, couldn't be better.
So, I have an idea for a bag. I have a massive piece of donated denim to use up, so I cut two pieces for back and front. I have been collecting tiny pieces of scrap fabric to try something I have seen on a yootooob  video. Spread some of it out on the front of the bag, in a sort of oval shape.  
Bits of cotton and string included.

Then cut a piece of gold coloured organza and pin it over the top, tuck the stray bits inside. I used a zigzag stitch and went around the outside twice.

Next I went across the oval a few times, then did a spiral from the outside to the centre. Looks a bit like a pizza now, ha ha.

 
 Check this out for ideas if you want to have a go.

To make the bag a bit more interesting and jazz it up a bit, I am making some embellishments. I made the first one of these out of velvet, but it was a bit too bulky, so I found some thin silky fabric, it works better. Cut two circles, one bigger than the other.
Sew around the edge using a matching cotton, with a running stitch, and pull tight to make a puff ball, then flatten it.
Put the two pieces together and sew a button in the centre. I have six matching buttons to make more, I'd better get on with it.
Look out for part two of the bag. Toodle pip.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my! I love that idea of using up all the scraps. I always have tons of scraps. When I'm sewing I usually selotape a plastic carrier bag to the table in front of me and as I sew and cut off the ends I simply drop them into the bag - now the bag usually goes into the bin but not any more! Thank you for sharing this one Ilona. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have had a very productive day. I like the yoyos.
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was keeping my odds and ends for stuffing for a doorstop but I think I like your idea better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, this reminds me of when I ran a craft week at the place I used to work many moons ago.
    We made christmas cards, using church window apeture cards, usinf fine net over bits of my threads from sewing, added lurex snippets,ribbon bits, you get the picture? They then looked like stained glass windows, with a bit of artistic licence LOL! I also made stars and other ornaments for them to hang on their trees when they got back home, with the date of their class on the back in fabric pen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS Just watched the video - loads of brilliant ideas there for using up scraps.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.