Saturday 16 July 2016

The time is right to go shopping

Hello. Not a lot left in my fridge so time to make a meal from a few bits and bobs. Three mushrooms, two onions, one Quorn fillet and frozen veg, on a bed of  cheap noodles. Curry and garlic flavour. That will do nicely.   
I was putting off going shopping, sometimes it is so boring. You buy food, you eat it, you go shopping again. Yesterday I had beans on toast twice. Once for breakfast and again for dinner. The second time I chucked a few chick peas into it to bulk it up, and added some grated cheese.

Oh dear things are getting desperate.

Never mind, I can stretch it to another day with this frozen soup, wonder what flavour it is, I will soon find out. Now I'm going to have to get off me bum and go. 
Last night it wasn't very busy, I had a £4 off voucher so I took my time to select the things I really needed. Found a good buy in the freezer, these packets of 8 veggie sausages were £1 each. Best to buy them while they are cheap. I sometimes grill these, but quite often I will zap one in the microwave to make it soft, then cut it into chunks to add to a stir fry.

Struck lucky in the fruit and veg department, 75% off. I've already cooked some of this up in a big pan and made stew for the freezer. Lots of strawberries to scoff, they normally sell for £2. They were knocking them out for 50p a punnet. Had to have some.
Portion control? Bugger that, I will eat as much of this green stuff as I can pile on my plate. Just chomped my way through this like a rabbit, a whole bag of salad leaves, ha ha.

It has been three weeks since my last yellow sticker dash. In between my Tesco visits I pick up a few things from Aldi when I am in town. I spent £30 last night, cat food and a bottle of wine included, I have enough to last me a couple of weeks maybe longer.

Well I hope you are having a nice weekend. Thanks very much for all the comments on yesterdays post, it's good to get your perspective on health care where you are. Have a nice Sunday. We'll catch up soon.
Toodle pip.

15 comments:

  1. My gosh you do well! Tried my first dinner using quorn mince today, a chilli con carne, very nice. Will try the sausages next as I have tried various soya ones and I didn't like them. I like to give things a go as taste buds are a very personal thing and you don't know till you try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A brilliant haul Ilona, well done! The salad does look delicious. Sorry I've not been around much, just been very busy. However calmer times are in sight now so hopefully I'll be about more. Hope I haven't missed the shed of the year show? Hugs to fur babies,xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SS, I know how busy you teachers can be, you must be knackered. bet you are looking forward to your hols. You haven't missed Shed of the Year, it's soon to start on Channel 4. An announcement is expected tomorrow, xxx

      Delete
  3. That salad looks lovely. I could happily eat salad at every meal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your meals always look so healthy and on a budget too! You should write a book "Eating on a Pension"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not vegetarian but only eat meat max twice a week however after reading about the manufacture of quorn I wouldn't eat it if i was starving lol. Give me loads of fresh fruit and veg with lentils and nuts for protein and I'm happy. Always love your salads though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. true, I just did some looking into what it is and how it's made, no thanks!

      Delete
  6. Did you know that if you fill all the gaps in your empty fridge with bottles of water then the water will retain the cold and your fridge will not have to turn on to re-cool itself every time you open the door....you will save on electricity usage this way. It works a treat. We just use empty juice containers etc and refill them with water to be used as 'cool bricks' for the fridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I did know that but sometimes I forget to implement it. I like to see what I have in my fridge and not lose things at the back. I suppose I could put the bottles of water at the back and leave them there.

      Delete
  7. Mr Home Maker has suggested a good idea with the water bottles, might try that myself. But your fridge looks very sad right now, and I was thinking, it would be good if you had a stock pile of dry goods at least, just in case you fell ill for any reason and couldn't get out to the shops. You'd at least have something to eat in the house at all times. Just my thoughts anyway...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sue. I have some pasta, rice, and a few tinned and frozen items that I could knock up into a meal. I also have some very good friends who would go shopping for me if I gave them a list, and a local village shop nearby. Thank you for thinking about me.

      Delete
  8. I find it extraordinary how you stretch your budget, and how healthily you eat. Well done. It's inspiring. I made a soup inspired by your recently- veggies that I needed to use up in the crisper- onion, fennel and carrot- I put them through the blender to make cooking quicker. It was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish my local Tesco had such bargains. Very occasionally there is an odd packet it two, but never very much

    ReplyDelete
  10. I buy powdered milk in bulk, and make ricotta cheese out of it with plain white vinegar and salt. And best of all- my dog loves the whey with her dinner afterwards!

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.