Thursday 20 July 2017

They'll be something in the bit box.

Hello. Post number two. Several people said they were looking forward to seeing what I did with the mirror. Well the after photo doesn't look any different to the before photo, from the front view. It's a bit different round the back. I stripped it down and cleaned all the parts with polish. The mirror didn't fit tightly in the frame, it was a bit loose, so the dust was getting inside. 
It needed an extra layer to make a tight fit, I have a roll of black sticky back underlay the sort you put underneath a vinyl floor to add a bit of insulation. I cut a piece to fit and stuck it on the back of the mirror, the put in a few veneer pins around the edge to hold it in place. 
Next I needed a new piece of board because the original had mould on it due to it being stored in the garage. I remembered the single bed bases I salvaged from my friends when they moved, just the job. It's a very thick cardboard, I cut it out with a Stanley knife.

 Next to screw it on the back. It needed washers to stop the screw heads biting into the cardboard and disappearing.. I don't have any washers so what to use instead?

Can you guess what they are? Answers on a postcard, no prizes, ha ha. If you haven't got the exact parts that you need, improvise. Job's a good one.

I decided not to paint it, the wood is in good condition, no marks or scratches, it looks fine as it is. 
Hooooray, the sun is out, I'm off out for an hour. Thanks for popping in, we'll catch up soon.
Toodle pip

15 comments:

  1. Buttons????
    Eilidh x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, I'm buying some wardrobe doors with mirrors on to save buying two new mirrors. Improvisation is the name of the game now as I am having pay cut at work. Thank you for all of your good ideas, I am learning all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm holding my arm up in the air Miss Ilona-is it the top off a tin of beans? x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fab mirror. Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3.5" Computer Diskette centre boss. I,ve used them for washers too. ;-)
    John Uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct, you win. The centre of a floppy disk.

      Delete
    2. Brilliant idea Ilona. On a side note, my daughter is too young to remember floppy disks, but she is a bit of a hipster and uses one to attach her keys to (to make it easy to find her keys in her bag). She also uses them for coasters.

      Delete
  6. I'd never have got that. Right hemisphere thinking in action there :)
    Eilidh x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the same mirror. A gift from years ago that is nice and still does the job. Not flash or fancy but great. I hang my sunhat off it which cheers it up no end. xx

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.