Saturday 11 November 2017

Three hours and eight miles

Hello. Well, after a gut busting lunch I thought I had better go and walk some of it off. The plan was to walk to town and get the bus back. Turning off the main road, and through the corner of the wood. 
The main crop around here is turf. Lots and lots of big fields covered in the green green grass of home.

Passing the horsey paddocks at the back of the estate.

And into another wood. Ooops, better step to the side to miss the puddle.

Another grassy field, this time with a mob of cruel and horrible people walking through it with their dogs and guns, heading for the wood, where they started blasting the pheasants to bits. I switched my hearing aid off so I didn't have to listen to it. Killing for fun with guns should be banned.

Along another field, and another, until I got to the fishing pond. No one fishing today.

I walked along the edge of a field to avoid the busy road, and found a layby with dumped rubbish. It looked like it was from a garage, lots of broken car parts.

More rubbish in a wood. This time a tent. It looked like this was someone's home for a while, empty drinks cans and a bag of rotting food.

This is the pond where I used to take Rocky swimming.

I walked along the road to the second roundabout and decided I didn't want to walk any further. The rest of the route goes along a busy road, it's one that I drive along frequently, nothing of interest to look at. I decided to head off back towards home, taking a different route. Through this industrial estate.

Into a village where the pub has been closed for a long time. It's a shame, it's a lovely building, but the village is small and there wasn't enough customers to keep it open.

I picked up a track along the bottom of the wood, and was lucky enough to see two deer. One of them went into the wood and the other one ran across the field past the turbines.

I caught sight of a fox in the wood, he soon scarpered when he saw me. On the way home now along this track. Daylight is fading and it's starting to get dark, though by the look of this photo it seems quite light.

At the end of the track it starts to go uphill and round a sharp bend into the wood. Oooo 'eck, it's like going through a dark tunnel and it's only five o clock. Forgot to bring a torch, wasn't expecting to be walking in the dark.

Uphill and round another bend, and I can see a street light.

That's better, I'm back in the village. Wouldn't have liked to stay in the dark for much longer.

Eight miles walked and I'm relaxing with a can of ale. Just the job.

Thanks for popping in, enjoy your Sunday, we'll catch up soon.
Toodle pip

Adding a quick note for other bloggers. I'm getting a lot of spam garbage in my Awaiting Moderation box. Check each comment in case you inadvertently let them through.

21 comments:

  1. It's getting dark so early now. Did you report the layby rubbish? We have an easy on line reporting form for the council in Norfolk - I am a frequent user and then check they have acted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't usually report it. Council cutbacks means they don't act very quickly, and I haven't time to keep going back to check if it's been picked up.

      Delete
  2. Hi Meanqueen. your post has opened many emotion for me ; from the beauty of the countryside to the ugliness of people dumping their rubbish and killing wildlife just because they can, ( I did shed a tear or many more) I also live in a small village with only very few street light and it can be scary at times. I really love your blogs and hope you enjoyed your can of ale after your long walk, loved to you and furry ones Mo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS Made me cry when you showed a picture of the pond where you used to take your beloved Rocky swimming xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ilona, i’m Not sure what you mean about spam. How do we let it through?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By let it through I mean allow it to be published. Spam is electronically generated, it is usually set up by a person wanting to advertise their business. They will blitz thousands of blogs with their comments.

      Spam is also a comment which does not relate to the blog post, basically garbage, someone talking rubbish to get their name out there. Exactly the same comments come through to my blog over and over again.

      As you know I have moderation on. Spam should go into the spam box, but a lot of it is getting into the awaiting moderation box. Blogger is not doing it's job of sorting it out properly. I have to check every comment coming in so that spam doesn't get published.

      Delete
    2. AN EXAMPLE OF SPAM. BASICALLY A LOAD OF OLD COBBLERS.

      Thanks for sharing superb informations. Your web-site is so cool.

      I'm impressed by the details that you have on this site.
      It reveals how nicely you understand this subject. Bookmarked this web page, will come back for
      more articles. You, my pal, ROCK! I found simply the information I already searched everywhere and just could not come across.
      What a perfect site.

      Delete
  5. Don’t you get frightened walking on your own through these places Ilona? I love to walk but I’m nervous walking through woods on my own - always think someone is going to attack me at worst or at best nick my phone x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Jenette, I feel completely at home in the countryside. Don't very often see anyone.

      Delete
  6. Me and my Grandaughter done 11 miles today...,Had a great time,we do differnt routes every week,And ive got to be honest...the parts that were a bit secluded...i worried about.So i got back on to the main road.I shouldnt have to feel like this..but there is so many things,that have happened to people i know and myself,that i just cant risk it,Debi,xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such varied sights on your walk Ilona.It looks a lovely place to go with your beloved Rocky.I
    T


    Such a variety of sights Ilona.It looks a lovely place you and your beloved Rocky have visited.I too once encountered a horrifying mass killing of birds whilst walking with the dogs.2 trucks loads of dead little bodies-I was traumatized by it and it will haunt me forever.I always think it sad to see an empty public house and imagine the fun shared there.Enjoy your well deserved tipple.Strangely today when I was walking for some reason I kept visualizing a harp! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I grew up in Hertfordshire and used to walk the country lanes, bridle paths and woods for years. Never really used to worry, although sometimes I would get the wind up if the area in which I was walking was dense and secluded woods. Fast forward a couple of decades and last year, I was back in Hertfordshire and the area in which I grew up. I found it absolutely nerve wracking to walk along the lanes, bordered on both sides by woods. I don't know, it seemed somehow sinister! LOL I would not walk anywhere by myself. Paranoid much? LOL My best friend cycled for several miles along the country roads to meet me one evening and I told her straight, I am terrified of the English countryside now. I feel as though I'm being watched!! I would rather in be South Central Los Angeles any day of the week, completely unafraid. The feeling of foreboding that I carried with me in the UK is non existent for me here in the US, which just goes to show how we adapt to our surroundings in ways we never imagined! I admire your strong character Ilona and hope that all of your solitary countryside walks are as enjoyable as this one.

    Sandy in the USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's what you're used to. I feel nervous in busy towns and cities, but being alone in the countryside doesn't bother me.

      Delete
  9. In my experience when they shoot pheasants they are not shot to bits. They are used as meat. I once worked as a nanny for a family where the men went on pheasant shoots and came back with a " brace" of pheasants. They would be plucked and prepared just like chickens and we had them as a delicacy, they were a bit gamey tasting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would assume they are shooting the pheasants to eat them. From an animal welfare point of view it's kinder to eat things that have been free until they are killed. Rather than eat dairy and eggs, both industries that involve the large scale slaughter male chickens and male calves and non productive animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. They will probably eat them, but in this day and age no one needs to kill their own meat. The birds are bred for killing, same as any other animal I suppose. I just think it's a horrible thing to do.

      Delete
    2. Totally agree Ilona. Pheasants, partridges etc are all bred in readiness for the shooting season. In the UK no one needs to shoot to eat those days are long gone. They pay to go shooting its a business.It was reported on our news one year that the Sandringham Estate Boxing day shoot killed and buried over 2000 birds.....Why??? Rae x

      Delete
  11. I hate dumped rubbish. I report it. I don’t tend to walk by myself in lone places - but that’s just me. I often see lady walkers/joggers who do though on a daily basis and are perfectly ok. It is possibly that I don’t have a mobile and if I have a fall (I dislocated my knee earlier this year and couldn’t make anyone hear) I would be in trouble. Of course, nasty things happen in busy places too - if we worried about everything, nothing would be achieved. Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely photos today Ilona.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely countryside pictures including two of my pet hates... Shooting parties and rubbish. Sadly we see both here in Mid Norfolk too.Rae x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, once again, for showing me the country...lovely.

    Have you ever given any thought to writing up bits for tourist pamphlets and travel magazines? They would be lucky to hire you to do write ups of your "walks".

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.