Monday 27 January 2020

Walking in South Yorkshire. Day 2.

There are some gentle rolling hills in South Yorkshire, so there are some nice views to see. After breakfast I set off in a different direction through the Industrial Estate to Pilley. I crossed over the top of the motorway at Birdwell and walked north to Worsborough. Part of it was on the A61 road which was very noisy with traffic. 
The sun was shining as I passed Worsborough church.

The map indicated a Country Park and a mill, might be good so I headed in that direction. The Mill is a working mill and was operating with some clunking and knocking. There are a few spots on the photo's due to the sun shining through the skylights.



There is a cafe which was busy with a cycling party, it was warm enough to sit outside. The gift shop wasn't open. I had a walk around the reservoir.

When I had seen enough I set off along the Trans Pennine Trail. This bridge goes nowhere because the train track which was once below it was dismantled a long time ago when the railway was closed. It makes a nice feature though.

There is a video below, made at this point.

I got almost into Silkstone on the Trail, then decided that I had better start heading back as time was getting on. I saw on the map that there was Wentworth Castle and Stainborough Castle, maybe take a look at them. I came across the entrance to a College and took this photo. A board at the entrance pointed further on along the road for the castle entrance, so I carried on.  
I seemed to be walking a long way on the road, all down hill, couldn't find the entrance to the castle. Eventually I did come across it, aha, at last, the sign pointed up a long drive. Now getting later and I wondered if I would have time to visit it. I thought well I'm here now so off I went along the drive, uphill. Almost to the top, a bit further to go, and I saw two people coming towards me on their way back to the car park. I asked them about the two castles. They said it was only one castle, with two names, and it's not a real old castle, more like a modern building made to look like a castle. That was a disappointment. I decided at that point to go no further, turn round and go back to the road. I needed to get back to the hotel before dark.

This is a sight I love to see, gulls following the tractor looking for their food.



I followed the road, under the motorway, over the motorway, back to Pilley and back through the Industrial Estate to the hotel. This relic in the woods I believe is an old pumping station which supplied water to the trains many years ago.



I did make it back just before it got dark. 14 miles today. Day three to follow. Toodle pip.  ilona

9 comments:

  1. Another set of lovely and interesting photos.I love the pictures of the seagulls...thats a bit how the close where I live looks at half 6 in the morning,lol.Full of seagulls waiting for the left over cat food that I put out for them...and a few other bits and bobs as well!.Unfortunate about walking to the castle and finding out from the couple that its not all it seems..but at least it put your miles up!.It really does look a lovely area and thanks for the video!.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enjoying this walk so much. I love to see and learn about places I may never get to see in person. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to start the new year! You must already have all your miles for January. This is a really lovely area you have been walking. It shows that you don´t have to travel for hundreds or thousands of miles to see something new and interesting.
    Hilde in Germany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilde. I am ahead with my miles for January. Still topping them up though just in case I want to ease off later on. There are a lot of places in the UK that I have never visited, but sometimes I just don't want to drive for hours to get there.

      Delete
  4. The mill looked like an interesting place to visit, and I love the pictures of the tractor and seagulls. It sounds like you had a most enjoyable walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was most enjoyable. Something new to look at, and keeping fit at the same time.

      Delete
  5. Lovely to see your photos of Yorkshire, a place where I would love to visit sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to see you and your videos Ilona-you are a breath of fresh air and remind me that I should live my life to the full as you do - Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lived in the estate in the background of your first photo! Thanks for some happy memories! As a small child, I lived in Hoyland, very near to Elsecar. Elsecar Park was a frequent place to go, I remember the bandstand well. No heritage centre in the 60's though!!

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.