Wednesday 23 February 2022

What's going on in town

I went to town this afternoon to pay my car tax at the Post Office. Our small pop up village post office is not able to do this transaction. The one in the High Street is a fairly big shop, you wait inside the door to be called to a counter. Quick service, in and out in a minute or two.
I see that our Wilko is closing early March, I went in to see if they had any bargains. They have started shrinking the stock. Big gaps throughout the store where they have removed the shelving. I spoke to an assistant to ask if there would be a last minutes sale where they sold everything off. She said no, it was to be shipped off to other nearby stores. That's another very large building which will soon be empty. 
I had a chat to the young lady who works on the Virgin desk in the shopping precinct. I always stop for a chat, she is very friendly. 
There was a man and a woman with a sound setup, microphone and speakers, in the middle of the High Street. They were taking it in turns to preach about Jesus and God. The usual thing, we should turn to the bible for comfort. Then he starts singing, that was a bit hard on the ears. Nobody stopped to listen, everyone hurried past including me. 
I bought a stuffed lion, a small toy for Billy dog. It was £1 from a charity shop. He carries them about and dumps them in the front garden. I pick them up and put them at the front door. They don't last very long after he has been tossing them about. 
On the way home I called in the Cash and Carry. I haven't been in there for ages. Not much to tempt me. A box of Shreddies 60p, fat balls for the birds £1, and two boxes of cat food £1.20 each. They haven't had that brand before, we'll see how they like it. Maybe they won't. Oh and I found some rolls of spearmint lozenges, four for £1. I like spearmint better than peppermint. 
This afternoon I did a three mile village walk. It is still very windy and freezing cold. I am a bit behind with my miles, I doubt I will reach the target this month. Never mind, ten months to catch up.
Here's a video I made this morning. I am showing the last three pictures I made, and a few food items from my kitchen. 
Thanks for popping in. We'll catch up soon. Toodle pip.   ilona

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your video :) Wilko announced a while back that quite a few of their shops were closing around the country. I'm a good 47 miles from my nearest one, would take 3 buses and most of the day to get there! I order from them online, service has been good. I know it's not ideal but there's nowhere in my wee toun that sells seed potatoes, craft stuff etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try not to mind the miles in the cold months. We're having a bit of a cold snap as well, and even though it's been mostly bright and sunny there are days when I can't bring myself to head out. Supposed to be back to near normal temps by Sunday. Also, with Feb being a short month totals are bound to be low. As you say, lots of time to catch up!

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.