Thursday 17 November 2022

Unraveling utilities

The paper version of the utilities bill has arrived, and I have just paid it with cash at the Post Office. 
I don't bother working out how much I use annually, I am not interested in estimates. They tell me whether my three month usage is either up or down on the same period as last year. 

The reason why it is so low is that the Government has given me discounts. 

Further breakdowns. The price per kwh changed on the 1st of October. I submitted my readings then. 
Gas. 
Before price change 7.303 per kwh. Standing charge 30.506p per day.
After price change 10.499 per kwh. Standing charge 31.939p per day. 
Electricity. 
Before price change 27.444 per kwh. Standing charge 51.920p per day. 
After price change 34.036 per kwh. Standing charge 53.104p per day. 
Total Gas costs including VAT £69.41
Total Electricity costs including VAT £123.23
Total £192.64. Deduct £132 discount. 
Martin Lewis is trying to unravel all this now. He is reporting on the Autumn Statement. 
My brain cannot cope with direct debits where they work out how much I am predicted to use, then take the money from my bank. With my mild dyscalculia these number mean nothing to me. I shall continue paying quarterly it is a lot easier. 
Some people might say how kind it is of the Government to hand out all these discounts. I had £150, then £100, now this £132, and the winter fuel payment which has been upped to £500 for this year, is still to come. I am not swayed by their generosity. I am not lulled into a false sense of security. I don't have a fuzzy feeling about it all. I am very sceptical about their intentions. This is all a smokescreen. We are expected to be grateful for the discounts they give us. Once we become accustomed to handouts from the Government we begin to expect more. Then, very slowly, we start to comply with whatever they ask of us. They become our Godfather and we lose the ability to think for ourselves. That's how it works. 
We've just has a massive downpour. I won't be going far today. Time for lunch. Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona

14 comments:

  1. My standing charges are similar to yours, so over £300 a year before even switching on a light. The discount scheme is just the government giving us back our own money, to buy a future election vote. It doesn't wash with me.

    Amanda, Sussex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You talk sense. Quote from Gareth. . . The government and those that own them, are in a war against the British people, and the sad thing is, most folk don't even realise they're under a calculated assault and will scoff at those that try to alert them.

      Delete
  2. You are so correct. It's all about control, manipulation and power.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She know's ya know. . . Quote from Hilda Baker.

      Delete
  3. In a properly functioning energy market there would be no need for these handouts. Just get rid of the green virtue signalling and Net Zero claptrap and build real power stations that can keep the lights on 24/7, and fill the gas pipelines with onshore fracked gas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me started on the green virtue signalling and net zero claptrap, that we are all paying for when those who make this up are ignoring their own rules.

      Delete
  4. Exactly all about control, manipulation and power

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think big brother likes to control us voters by giving us back a small amount of our tax money, our own money. Sort of bribing us by giving us back our own money, that happened in California recently just before our Nove. election.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Budget news that didn't make the news. . . . Hidden away in the budget is that in late March next year Fuel Duty is set to rise by a whopping 23% This would mean easily an extra 13p on the cost of fuel.

      They give it us back as a sweetener, then take it away. Nudge nudge.

      Delete
  6. I am always skeptical of "free" money that I didn't ask for. Our gov doled out checks during the lockdown/pandemic and our insurances gave us a discount which, with my new billing, I see they are slowly recovering it, as my bill is higher than last time. They keep pretending they are looking out for our needs but, in reality, haven't got a clue what the people need or want and don't really care. In the meantime, my property taxes are expected to go up 18% next year, Ouch! Ranee (MN) USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They live in their own bubble, Rae. . . . Quote. If you're wondering why there was such a tax hike in today's budget, the National Audit Office Covid-19 cost tracker might give a clue: £376 bn!
      Includes £147 bn on business support, i.e. paying business to shut & people not to work - more than the total pre-Covid NHS budget.

      Delete
    2. Not to mention the cost of all those jaaaaabies

      Delete
    3. And the Nightingale centres they built, and the track and trace, and the masks. All to be paid for. Now we have tax increases. Money is being shuffled around the world. There is a borrowing crisis which will never be paid back. I see a crash coming when someone digs deep into where it has all gone.

      Delete
  7. We shall just have to see what they have in store for us next

    ReplyDelete