So to plan B. Make a bag. I had some upholstery fabric offcuts from the Scrapstore, and found a template for a bag in a magazine. I cut two pieces back and front, a 2inch wide gusset, and a piece 2.5inches wide for the shoulder bag length strap.
Before I stitched it together I put the decoration on the front. The red leaves were cut from another piece of upholstery fabric, I then painted the edges with clear nail varnish to stop it fraying. After sewing it on I put more varnish on to make sure it definately wouldn't fall apart, and then I added five red beads.
I made the lining out of some thin grey fabric. The ends of the strap are sandwiched between the outer and inner layers, and luckily I had a black zip of the right length.Here is my new bag.It looks lovely, I am really pleased with it. the measurements are 7" by 9", and 2" deep. Enough room for essentials, purse, phone, keys, etc. So the day was not wasted, I will get to Derbyshire one day.