Tuesday 12 July 2011

Coast to coast

I've made a start, borrow six Ordnance Survey maps from the library. Lay them out on the living room floor, Blackpool one end and Hull the other. The sea at both ends, my coast to coast walk.

Then get a ball of red wool and plot the route. Ha ha, all high tec here.

So, up to now it's Blackpool - Singleton - Elswick - Inskip - Bilsborrow - Longridge - Clitheroe - Barnoldswick - Earby - Silsden - Ilkley - Otley - Harewood - Collingham - Boston Spa - Tadcaster - Cawood - Wiston - Breighton - Howden - then pick up the Trans Pennine Trail to Hull.

Haven't the foggiest where I will be sleeping yet, except Breighton, I know someone who lives there. Hostels are almost non existant on this route, there is one at Earby but I am not sure what time I will be passing through. I will be on the lookout for cheap B&B's, farmhouses that take guests, pubs with rooms, or the odd barn where I can bed down in the hay :o)

I struck lucky today, I found a free door. It was round the back of Humberside Double Glazing, one they have taken out and replaced. They usually leave the half decent doors outside the skip and they usually get nicked during the night, which they don't mind because it saves them paying to dump them. Glad I saw this one or it might have disappeared tonight. The man said take it if you want it. Thanks very much.
A bit of good news today in the post, the test results for my bowel cancer screening samples have come back normal. Then the letter says that no screening test is 100% effective, so a normal result does not guarantee that you do not have bowel cancer. That's a bit confusing. Never mind, no more tests for another two years. Sorry if you are eating your tea while reading this. Toodle pip, off to print some maps out.

19 comments:

  1. This looks fabulous. Wish i could join you. Glad to hear your test came back clear even if it isn't 100% certain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You`ve got some guts to etempt such a walk without having made proper accommodation provisions! Wish you the best of luck in finding some on short notice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. just LOVE it that you are doing this...especially the sophisticated methods of planning! looks like you've an exceptional freebie to add to your list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news on your test results xx
    Good luck on your walk wish I had your stamina!
    Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the good news for the test results and the door. That is some walk, look forward to following you x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the knitting wool trail!!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I know the test that you mean but it is not a colonoscopy. I am 65 and have just had one this year. If you can get your doctor to order one for you it is pretty accurate although the prep. is a bit of trial - the colon cancer rate has fallen in the u.s. due to routine colonoscopies. I bet in the u.k. they wont give you one unless you have symptoms which is sometimes a bit late. Does nt hurt to ask and if they say no ask why not ? I dont have to have another one for 7 years. Do you have a family history ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. No lizzie, no family history of it. I am quietly confident that there are no problems with my waste disposal system, I have no symptoms of anything. We aren't offered routine colonoscopies here I don't think the NHS can afford it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good news on your test result:) I lived in Inskip back in Nov 1973 to Oct 1975. I'm sure it's changed so much since then. That's some walk..... xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the high tech route planning! Have you watched Wainwright's Coast to Coast walk? Different route of course but interesting.

    I'm writing this with cat's head on keyboard which is quite difficult. Now the head is on my left hand.

    Good news about the test. I did one of those. Very awkward the first one then you get used to it! I mean - having to catch it, ughhhhh! At least they sent us the kits.

    Look forward to further chapters of route planning. Could you not borrow a bivvy bag?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good results. I look forward to your coast to coast walk!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That will be a fantastic walk! Good luck with finding places to stay.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are joking about sleeping in the hay aren't you?
    Is it all footpaths or will you have to go on the road as well?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just a thought.... what if you contacted the local press/radio station/tv station and said you were walking cross country (like a stray cat) and were accepting donations for your cat rescue, AND that you were looking for places to stay?
    All power to you!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looking forward to hearing about your adventure - hope you are going to be able to keep us up-to-date as you progress! I had a colonoscopy this year due to family history and all is fine - I'll have to repeat the experience in 5 years time, but at least I can sleep easy at the mo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay good find! Did you haul it to the car by yourself ?

    The impending walk sounds exciting, a bit famous fiveish:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. A survival blanket would be a good idea - don't forget the lashings of ginger beer!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Old She Dragon. I was able to back my car into the yard right up to the door, then get the man to help me load it in. I couldn't fasten the tailgate, which I was prepared for, a bungy elastic held it all together. At home I got my friend Barry from up the road to give me a hand to unload it and stand it in the passage close to where it will be fitted.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good news on the door
    Even better news health wise
    I am so envious of your walk in my head I would love to do such a walk unfortunately weight does not allow one day maybe xx

    My dad who is no longer with us would have loved you the more I read about you on your blog you sound so like him. xx

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.