Monday 7 November 2011

Her lucky day

Today I am so happy, to have made someone happy. Yesterday I found a little red bag in the street, it was lying in the gutter. Loads of people must have seen it and passed it by, as it was on a busy road through the village. I was walking with my head down as I am quite frequently, habit I think. I can even spot a small coin amongst the debris on a dirt track, ha ha.

I noticed a red bag, a bit like a pencil case with a zipper, but it didn't look empty. At first I thought a child might have dropped it on their way home from school. I crossed the road to pick it up. It was a bit damp, had probably laid there all night in the rain.

I unzipped the bag to find not pens and pencils but nail manicure tools, clippers, files, scissors, and buffers. In amongst them I found a small scrap of cardboard with a mobile phone number written on it. That's lucky I thought. I sent a text message, saying I had found a bag.

Today I had a phone call, the man described the bag and it's contents exactly. He said it belongs to his friend and she hadn't realised she had lost it untill today, when she needed it. Tonight they have been to collect it. The friend is an oriental young lady, she works in a care home as a hairdresser and manicurist, for the residents. She was over the moon to get her tools back, now she can continue working.

They offered me a reward, but I said no thank you. I said all you have to do is to do a good deed for someone else. Her little smiley face was reward enough.

14 comments:

  1. Your good deed for the day Ilona. There is nothing worse than losing something especially if it has sentimental value.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice thing to do Ilona, I like your idea of paying it forward too. Give yourself a pat on the back.
    twiggy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised you didn't take your reward in tins of beans LOL

    No seriously, good job you spotted the purse and what luck there was a number included. Nice work Ilona!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's brilliant! I hope that the next time I lose something somebody has the kindness to get it back to me! (Also, I'm going to start putting my number in things!!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely story...so glad that lady who does such good for the older folks got her tools back.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done. Good idea putting a phone number in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful that you made someone's day! I love this kind of story. That young woman was smart to put her phone number in the bag.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job you were passing, Ilona and picked up her bag. I'm glad you were able to reunite the owner with her property. Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a shame people expect they will have to give a reward for such things... what happened to good deeds and just being kind! At least some of us are still kind and good, I'm sure you made her day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awwwwwwww. we need more people in the world like you. We really do.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.