Saturday 4 July 2015

Hi Ted

Hello and Good Morning. Sounds of the Sixties on Radio 2 is getting me in the dancing mood, can't stop jigging. Another humungous storm last night. I woke at 3am to flashing lights and booming thunder. Had to get up and look out of the window. Torrents of rain, a river running down the street, overflowing gutters that couldn't keep up with the deluge, and the sky lit up like something out of a science fiction film. It was wonderful. I must put a chair in the summer house so I can go out there and sit in it next time.

Has anyone found Ted? It's a channel on yooootooob, hundreds of vids about all kinds of topics, most have a thought provoking message. I found this one yesterday, while looking for Judith Tebbutt. I thought it so reflects the way I feel at this moment in time. The simple message on a simple life appeals to my own common sense thoughts, you might like watch it. It's not long, you must listen to every word carefully to get the message. As you may guess English is not the speakers first language, so turn on the subtitles to make it easier to understand.



Jon has a very simplistic view of life, his splattering of humour is entertaining, and compliments the very essence of the message. A simple life free of all the trappings of a hectic consumer driven merry go round, leaves plenty of time for humour. Listen and watch and tell me if you agree with Jon.

Have a lovely weekend. Sounds of the Sixties is finished, time to get on with my hobbies.
Toodle pip

11 comments:

  1. Ted - I don't think it is as simple as he makes it sound. For instance you must own land in order to build a house, the same for planting a garden, rice etc. I agree with him about we all have way to many clothes and stuff in general. A good example it is easy to line dry clothes where I live but most use the dryer.

    Storms are amazing to watch - has the heat wave broken?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the Ted talks are just amazing aren't they. It's a real platform for all kinds of speakers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meanwhile 40 miles south we got a shower and a token bit of thunder

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you dance to your tunes. We do the same. Its more eighties for us but we still like to sing and dance. The best way to live. Love TED. There has been one in particular that has really stayed with me...amazing speakers. I can't imagine doing that. Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Ted talks
    . Thanks for posting this one, I really enjoyed it and found it thought provoking. I agree with SandyExpat that he doesn't seem to have the land ownership restrictions of the UK (can you imagine the planning authority's reaction to little houses sprouting up everywhere? Awesome!) However the principle of simplicity and not needing stuff is one that resonates with me. I'm off for another listen. Cheers. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the TED talk. I enjoyed listening to him. Yes, I read the subtitles as it helped a lot. I understand that it is not as simple as he makes it sound. I know where I live in the US that there are all kinds of regulations for building a home. But I think what he is saying is to change the way we think. That we don't have to buy into the consumerism society to live our lives. That living a simple life is better for us in the long run as we can avoid the debt that sits on so many shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the TED talks - Here's the link to my post that leads to my favourite, a wonderful take on fostering creativity in spite of 'limitations'. xx

    http://lovelygreyday.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/embracing-our-limitations.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have watched your offering all the way through now. It's brilliant especially the comments on what it means to be civilised and how far off the mark we are. Oh here's another talk for your viewing pleasure that's in the same vein. x

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgBpyNsS-jU

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thankyou for the video it resonates with me but we are still stuck on this hamster wheel and I want to get off please!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,Ilona.The video really resonated with me.It's interesting that sharing his philosophy is considered too uncomplicated and simple for the "real "world by some.Essentially the "get back to the garden" ideology of the "back to the land(ers)"is seeing a renewal after the fail of capitalist/consumer societies.People are disenchanted,disillusioned and resentful that( though they played the"game"and acquired what we were told would make us happy)the dream was hollow and empty.It took us turning fifty-five years old to realize that we had been utter fools for going down that path.My hubby and I have never regretted( as someone here commented )getting off the hamster wheel of debt,servitude,materialism and idiocy(IMO).Life's simple after that nightmare.Thank God.Thank you for sharing the video,bye for now,D.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing the video. Food for thought indeed! I find the older we get (now retired), the less we want. In fact life is simpler and more enjoyable if not always chasing after 'stuff' and just enjoying the moment.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.