Tuesday 29 September 2015

Eat up all your greens.

Hello. Thank you for your comments on yesterdays post. I'm chuffed that you like the poem, and thank you Joan for sending it to me. 
I've been to visit Helen this morning, we took her dog Henry choc lab for a walk, with Angus and Guinness, two other dogs she knows. Rocky came with me but he stayed in the house while we went out. He has been there many times before so he is fine with that. He has had three short walks today, it's best that we walk alone then he can go at his own pace, he can't keep up with other dogs.  
Here is a variation on the felt hearts, why not make felt miniature Christmas stockings as well, to hang on a tree. I have made five and they are so so cute. The tiny sequins were fiddly to pick up and the silver braid was awkward to sew around the top edge while holding the back and front together. I have put a bit of stuffing in to fill them out.  


Do you remember the cushion covers made from men's shirts? I made the one on the right a few months ago, and the two new shirts, charity shop £1, have now been made into cushions. So now there is a matching set of three, I deliberately chose stripes again. I am pleased with them, they will be sold on our cat stall at the Christmas Fair.   

Oh no, I have gone and done it again. I said I wasn't going to buy any more of the mayo in a plastic bottle because of the difficulty of getting it all out, unless you cut the bottle in two pieces. The trouble is that it was only 20p a bottle along with the sweetcorn relish, so how could I not buy them. I'll just have to put up with the inconvenience of shaking the bottle like crazy and bashing it on the work top, then slicing it in half with a knife, and finally washing the two pieces of plastic to go in the recycling bin. 
Dinner the other day. Quorn is or was on offer at £1 a bag, so I stocked up with sausages, fillets, and nuggets. Added to a plate of steamed greens and it's the ideal dinner for me.

Courgettes, pickled onions, one mushroom, and spinach cooked in a bit of oil, and add two eggs and scramble them. Serve with iceberg lettuce and cucumber. Very nice.

 I took Heidi to the vet yesterday late afternoon, for blood to be taken for another test. On the way back I popped in the Tesco Local. I was lucky enough to get a few items. Small bottles of fresh milk 5p each, I got three. Spinach 22p. Potato salad 7p, I got two, and pasta salad 68p. Total cost £1.19p. So this was my dinner last night, a no cook meal, half of the potato salad and half the pasta salad, eat it out of the tubs to save on washing up, ha ha. Have eaten the rest for lunch today.

It's been lovely out in the garden for the last few days. I am making use of the summer house and sitting out there busy sewing. I think I'm going to get rid of the raised beds over the winter and give up on veg growing. I fancy making a flower garden instead.

Thanks for popping in. Catch you soon. Toodle pip.

23 comments:

  1. Those christmas stockings are beautiful (as was the heart). The cushion covers look good and should sell quick.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  2. For using the up the mayo, what I would do is when you get down to the bottom with it, add some herbs and some vinegar (mustard if you like) shake it up really well and it makes a nice salad dressing and waters it down some so it's easier to get that last little bit out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it sage and onion stuffing in the bots?:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your little Christmas stockings, and your stripey cushion covers are gorgeous. Nice bargains from Tesco - I'm rather partial to their yummy spinach and pine nut pasta salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you remember me - I really miss reading your blog when you lived in Essex. Do hope you are keeping well.
      Wendy (Wales)

      Delete
  5. Hi.Gosh your sewing up a storm!Those are pretty stripey pillows and the boots are very cute.I like the embellishments.Nice job,Ilona.Sounds like a lovely time with a friend walking the doggies and getting out and about.It's a little bittersweet but at least Rocky and you know his limitations and work round them.I really like to have easy food days too and you show just how simple,healthy and budget friendly it can be.No junk food there.Too bad I 'm so far away,otherwise you could raid my garden to add blooms to yours.Oh well...always cheering to visit you,bye for now,D.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Xmas stocking ornaments. Your stitching is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cushion covers from men's shirts are lovely. They look so nice on your sofa so perhaps you will decide to keep them.

    I hope that Heidi's blood test turns out well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have an idea for you with the remnants of the mayo in the bottle. Dissolve a little sugar (maybe 2 tsp) in 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar. Lavish with enough pepper to taste. Pour into the mayo bottle, shake vigorously/ It is a delicious salad dressing, or a marinade for cucumber and onion slices. I love it, and this is what I do when I get to the bottom of the jars. I assume you can unscrew the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that, I have some cider vinegar.

      Delete
  9. The mini Chritmas stockings are lovely, will great on the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving those little Christmas stockings xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love to see your sewing projects, may I ask where do you get your mayo for 20p?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. We have a Cash and Carry which is open to the public, they are called Barnes, and also have stalls in Scunthorpe and Ashby markets, and a shop in Gainsborough. They buy up close to out of date food, or just gone out of date, in packets, tins and jars. They sell pet food, cleaning products, and a lot of junk food such as crisps, biscuits, cake, sweets, and fizzy pop. They also have a licence to sell alcohol. They have a chiller cabinet and sometimes have cheese, bacon, and margarine spread.

      I only get the odd items there, because some of it is dearer than the discount stores. Every so often you get a bargain or two, I always pop in when passing on my way to town. Maybe you have something similar in your town.

      Delete
    2. I am sure there must be something in Cheltenham I will have to do some research x

      Delete
  12. Love the Christmas stockings and the cushion covers. They would look great in your summer house where I hope you are spending time. Kristel

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the little decorated stockings and the cushion covers ... you would never know they were once shirts!!

    I hope Heidi's blood tests come back okay, fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those cushion covers made from shirts are so stylish. I really love them and would buy them if I saw them in a shop. You are so clever at designing things.
    Wendy (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have you ever tried making mayonnaise, Ilona? Easy, delicious and inexpensive. I use my little thriftshop stick blender and it takes about 5 minutes start to finish and I make it right in the pint jar that goes into the fridge. I could make more at once, but as it's just for me, I'd rather make a small amount. It's hard to go back to the plastic bottle (or even the glass ones) after you've made your own mayo :)

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.