Friday 8 January 2016

Robert Koenig, wood carver, at our art gallery.

Hello. I mentioned that I had been to our 20 21 Arts Centre a few weeks ago but forgot to take my camera. I went back today for another viewing, and took the camera. The exhibition by Robert Koenig is amazing. He has been sculpting wood for over 35 years. Born in Britain of Polish parents, he studied art at Brighton. Take a look at his work on his web site. You will marvel at his distinctive style.  
Our Arts Centre has recently undergone a refurbishment programme, and is a much improved exhibition space. Into the front entrance and turn left along the link gallery, are some of Roberts huge shields. His carvings are all done by his own hands using traditional tools. I love the colours he chooses and the way he has distressed the paint.  



Look closely, they are trees.



Amazing that the birds are all flying in perfect formation. It reminds me of Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

Inside the church which is the main exhibition hall, Robert has constructed a new Memorial Structure. You walk into a massive wooden box like a packing crate, which has alcoves to each side. In this first photo I used a flash, hence the slightly different tint to the rest of them.  





This exhibition is on in Scunthorpe until the 20th of February. Well worth seeing if you are coming this way. Maybe it will be near you in the future. I've found a video of him constructing the Memorial Structure in the church. Take a look, it's interesting.



It's the weekend again, the weather has been a bit better today, not much rain but the temperature has dropped a bit. Enjoy your weekend whatever you are doing, and don't forget walkers, try and get a couple of miles in, it all adds up. I'm going out now at 8.30pm.

Thanks for popping in. Catch up soon. Toodle pip

19 comments:

  1. These are wonderful, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whilst I can see the huge amount of work that has gone into the making of the sculptures, I don't understand the significance of the images chosen, especially the one of the ladies with their backs to the viewer and what looks like umbrellas and is it rhinoceros ? Was there any literature explaining the meanings of the works?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caz. I didn't see any literature, but that might have been because I only had ten minutes due to arriving just before they closed.

      Delete
    2. Thank you anyway, Ilona. Jonathan Livingston Seagull is a book to get you thinking. I hadn't read it until a couple of years ago. (still have it).

      Delete
  3. wow, thats amazing, what a talent!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tony and I are woodcarvers and of all my hobbies it is the one I love the most. I got first prize and reserve champion overall in the wood section at Stokesly show last year. I was gobsmacked as it was the first carving I had ever entered... I also took the second prize in the same section for another of my carvings. My head was so big when I saw my rosettes that I could hardly get it in the car :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely and something I'd not see otherwise. Thanks much and enjoy your walk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's stunning, I really appreciate beautiful wood art.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Margie in Toronto - amazing work - would love to see more of his work. I am off to The Art Gallery of Ontario to see the touring exhibit of J.M. Turner's paintings - really looking forward to it. I have a yearly membership so try to make good use of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can never find the right words to describe how wonderful some things are. This is one of those wonderful things! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. As well as his obvious talent of carving the wood, it's also the size of his creations which are amazing.

      Delete
  9. Those are amazing pieces of art.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I bet they were even more amazing in real life! Despite being sick for 3 days I'm up to 12 miles for January walking and will try to add to it today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this, have taken a look at the web site and the people are wonderful. Never heard of him before.
    thanks for showing.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely Grey posted a Fish tin mold that looked like the Fish plaque posted. I don't know why that caught my eye and I remembered it, but that was what popped into my head. Intricate detail on so may pieces. I love that craftsmen/persons, are being embraced as the artists they are. Having no talent in either area, I appreciate what others can do and then share.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was in England several years ago and saw a bunch of Robert Koenig's figures displayed at a cathedral(sorry, forgot name of the cathedral.) They were beautiful. Wish I could see more of them.
    Maggie from Floria

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow what stunning wood carving. thanks for sharing this Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi.Very interesting and enlightening read today.Beauty and meaning come in many forms.He is so connected to his inner self and his beautiful work is a gift.Thank you,D.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What lovely carvings....really a fascinating artist....thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.