Wednesday 18 January 2017

Does she ever stop talking!

Hello. Some smashing stories on yesterday's post, worth going back to see if any more have been added since you last looked. Thanks to all those who shared their inspiring stories of things not going according to plan, and how you have found a new direction. I applaud you all. 
The talk I did for the the WI last night went down really really well. One lady came to me afterwards and said what a rotten day she's had, and my talk was just what she needed. I was chuffed. The ladies were lovely, must have been about sixty of them. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned, the larger the audience the easier it is for me. I get my feedback by watching their reaction to my stories, that tells me where I should be going next. Whether to speed it up or slow it down. If they miss something they can always come and ask me later. 
I move about a lot, wandering up and down, using a lot of gesticulation. No point in standing there like a plank. My aim is to enlighten them about the joys of a frugal life, my good life on a pension, and  to make them laugh. I want them to go away chuckling to themselves. That certainly happened last night. 
I take some props with me in bags, then after the stories, I get them out and lay them on the tables, explaining a bit about my arts and crafts. I donated the last two of my shopping bags to the raffle, now I need to make some more, ha ha. After tea, the ladies come and have a closer look and ask questions. I hope I have inspired some of them to think about using recycled materials when they do their own crafting. 
There isn't a photo of me from last night, but I have found this old one from a few years ago when I did a talk at the Arts Centre at Caister. Showing the bag I made from Judo belts.

I popped to town yesterday to pay some bills into the bank, and to get some of Heidi's favourite cat food. She likes Sheba in the mini pouches. £1.50 from B & M. I had a look in the Age UK charity shop while I was passing. They sometimes have some lovely picture frames in there. No frames, but a rack full of recently donated jackets. Worth a look. Wow, spoilt for choice here. I chose these two. I really need to throw out some of the rags I am walking around in, ha ha. 
Nice eh! Good condition, hardly worn, zip up to the chin, pockets, just the job. The best part is they are only £1 each. I know, amazing isn't it. So lucky to have a £1 charity shop in our town. 


That's it folks. I've just remembered I should have picked up some magazines from Paul's house on the way back from the Jade dog walk. I had better go and get them now. My head would fall off if it wasn't screwed on.

Thanks for popping in, we'll catch up soon.
Toodle pip

24 comments:

  1. I wish we had the WI here, such a great organisation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately no local WI where I am. I'm sure the audience appreciated the talk and your passing on knowledge and tips for a frugal life; with plenty of humour thrown in. The jackets are certainly a bargain (still got some winter to get through so a wise choice). Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those jackets are amazing, both in price and in how you look in them. Brilliant value.
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on getting the jackets good price wish our shop sold things for a £1 we use to have a 50p rail but when we got a new manager prices went up quite a bit but takings remain nearly the same.
    Pleased your talk went well 60 ladies that's a big group we only have 15 in our WI but they are lovely ladies and we all get on well together and have lots of fun. You had a nice display of items. SUSAN you could always start a WI you would get lots of help from your Federation.

    Love the bag from Judo belts so sturdy and colourful

    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your new jackets, especially the navy one. They both suit you. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to attend one of your talks!
    And your new jackets are great. We have only a Oxfam shop here and the prices are much higher.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad your talk went well. You are lucky to have a charity shop that has items for £1. I used to be a deputy manager at a new charity shop and when the manager wasn't there, I used to mark down the stuff. She really used to price things really high. The sales figures for me went really high. Love your stripy judo bag. Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like your talk to the WI gals was just what they wanted. Your jackets are a fabulous find.

    ReplyDelete
  9. bargain jackets. glad the talk went well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When my motherinlaw needed a new winter coat, I got her 4 at the local thrift store (any of them I would have gladly worn) and let her choose. The total for four was less than 25% of a new not as nice coat.

    Husband also got a high end winter coat with removeable liner for less than $20 at a thrift. It was about $150 in a retail store. I am so glad he likes to shop at thrifts. He feels clothes are pretty disposable rather than a fashion item.

    Once I found a new Norwegian wool fair isle sweater with pewter clasps at a thrift for $3. Gave it as a present to a friend. Thrift stores are great. Ana USA

    ReplyDelete
  11. You and The Prudent Homemaker have inspired me. I visited the local Goodwill. Got a gorgeous real suede leather skirt. Thought I might make a bag. My daughter loved it. Will wash,hem and dye.It was about 2 pounds. I would never have done that if not for you.Thank you.
    Becky too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The WI ladies look all bundled up. Must have been chilly! My cat eats mini Sheba too. That's a good price. Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen. I took the photo at the end of the evening, the ladies had put their coats on ready to leave and were having a look at the table before they left. The room was warm, I was hot.

      Delete
  13. We used to have a fabulous charity shop that really believed in pile it high and sell it cheap. Jackets and coats were anything from £3-£5 but everything else was £1 each, or three for £2.50. They were huge too, two church halls and two side rooms, and you could see their van out every day collecting stuff from the big houses and council flats alike. No other charity shop in the town got a look in. I was gutted when it shut, you could go in with £5 and come out with a couple of decent outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love seeing the clothes you buy. It gives me a warm feeling to know that clothes are given a new lease of life when people have done with them, hurray.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to attend one of your talks as well. And if I ever moved to the UK...I'd come to your town to shop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It would be wonderful if someone could make a video of your talk so you could post it for those of us far away. We don't have the WI here, and I wish we did. Your jackets look wonderful. As to your last post, I am not where I had hoped to be but I am content, and that is most important. I was out earlier and paying bills and someone remarked that she hated bill paying. I replied that I felt fortunate to be able to pay what I owe and feel grateful for what I have. Love the judo straps bags.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved your talk ! I am a frugal person but l see now where I mprovements could be made. I love to haggle and it mostly pays off ! The price you see on anything is just an offer to buy you can always knock it down but remember to deal with the seniors in chain stores. Also your blog has inspired me to set one up maybe but then my life is quite ordinary. Keep on
    Keeping on and more power to your elbow!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha, you found me then, welcome to Tightwad Towers. Life is never ordinary, you have the power to make it your own.

      I must admit that I don't haggle in shops, because the only shops I use are the discount stores, and supermarkets. Their prices are quite competitive I find.

      Delete
  18. Love the belt bag, I had a few of these belts and white suits for karate a while back and didn't know what to do with them. in the end I freecycled them and they went to a group who had kids that couldn't afford the karate kit, so was pleased I found them a good home. Julie T

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fab jackets Ilona and a bargain too. The navy one looks perfect for now and the lighter one a good Spring coat. Wish we had cheaper charity shops. I can never find anything much less than a fiver, even tops. I was looking for a plain black T shirt to layer up with and they were all shabby and still £4 each. In the end I bought new from Sainsbury's, still only £4 but actually free with my Nectar points :/ Great bag BTW, I'd LOVE one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I envy you being able to do public speaking. I can teach a yoga class but the thought of standing up and making a speech gives me palpitations! I bet it was great.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that you can share your frugal experience's with others. My Mum and Grandmother taught me how to be frugal when I was a child, it was a way of life in the 1950's. It has never left me although I have more money these days I still look out for that bargain, what ever it might be. Loving those jackets,I have an old Regatta rain mac for dog walking and it's still going strong after 20 years. Rae x

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have a M n S jumper that i have worn today that my Mam bought for me when i was in an accident at school aged 14.I am 62 now and although a bit threadbare on the elbows,i still wear it!,Debi,Leic,x

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.