Friday 18 August 2017

A walk in Derbyshire with my buddies

Hello. I've had a fab day out with my walking buddies today. Paul and Paul as usual, plus new member, Shaun, Paul's brother. It was my turn to drive, and Paul organized the route. It took us just over an hour to get to the starting point the other side of Sheffield. We parked in a layby on the A625 near the Grouse Inn pub, not far from Nether Padley. Most of the walk was through the Longshaw Estate.  
It was lovely and sunny as we made our way through the woods.


After crossing the main road near the Fox House Inn, we went onto Burbage Moor. As you can see it was lovely and sunny, but there was a very strong wind, we stop for a photo shoot and admire the views.



The purple heather can be seen for miles and miles.


Super views which ever way we looked.

This was quite high up, the winds were quite strong at this point.


Time to set off again after lunch.

Fabulous views.

There is quite a long drop down there. It looked as if people down in the bottom were preparing for a bit of rock climbing.

We came back along the river through Yarncliff Wood. This apparently is an old explosives store.

It was a 10.5 miles anticlockwise circular walk, The last part through Tumbling Hill and Hay Wood was a killer. It was so steep, and I was sweating buckets. I slow up on hills so the others have to wait for me. I was almost at the point of collapsing when I got to the top. Thank goodness it opened out into a field with a breeze to cool me down. The rain held off until we were almost back, then I got the brolly out. It was a heavy shower which passed in a couple of minutes.

On the way home it poured down, so we got back to the car just in time. There was a massive rainbow over Sheffield. We had a great day, all enjoyed it, it's good to walk in a different area and see new sights. So now there are four of us in our Elite Walking Group. I look forward to more walks with them.

That's a few more miles to add to my total, I should make the 800 by the end of the month. I hope you are all keeping up with your walking. 13 more days to go to the first of September. Thanks for popping in, have a good weekend, we'll catch up soon.
Toodle pip

23 comments:

  1. You are so lucky living in such a beautiful part of the country. We have countryside here but not half as lovely as that.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks a great day out. The heather clad moors look stunning. Sarah



    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like a great day. I know what you mean about going to a different area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful place. It's good to see bits of Britain that haven't been built all over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Kate.Near where i live it has always been fields at the back of the houses there and a few years ago there was talk of it being built on.I hoped that it wouldnt happen....but now it has and the diggers have been there a few weeks now.Before long we will have no green space left.Debi,x

      Delete
  5. The heather and the rocks are glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Living in California and being a native of Herefordshire I love looking at the English Countryside. Well done for making it up that hill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! Hertfordshire ex-pat :) I love seeing pics of Ilona's walks. One of my best friends from school lives in Derbyshire too.

      Delete
  7. Thanks so much for the photos. I have heard of the purple heather but never seen it, looks absolutely lovely. Thanks again from the land of dust and cactus ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What gorgeous scenery. I'm glad that you didn't collapse. You are inspiring me to do more walking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely walk you had Ilona and 3 gallant men to look after you. The Heather looks gorgeous.

    Enjoy the weekend.

    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great day out!,Beautiful area and stunning views.A Friday spent doing something like that would really set me up for the weekend.Debi,Leic,x

    ReplyDelete
  11. The heather is absolutely stunning. I don't think I have ever seen such a large area of heather. It looks like an amazing day out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought you only got heather like that up in the Highlands - beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love it, the scenery is so beautiful and you get a fabulous walk in as well. We have just come back from Alaska where we did some amazing walks through rainforests, mountains and even a glacier walk. What a hoot, like you, I would rather walk amoungst nature than most any other thing. Have a lovely day.
    Fi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fiona, did you organize your own walks or did you go with a travel group? Your Alaskan trip sounds like something the spouse and I would enjoy :)

      Delete
    2. Hi, we did a cruise and land tour through Princess cruises. We booked the rainforest and glacier walks through them. It was just the most amazing trip. We flew from Australia to Vancouver and got on the ship from there. Hope this helps.
      Fi

      Delete
  14. Really pleased you had such a good walk and managed to miss the rain. This is an area I go to often as I can get there really quickly. Would be good to meet up if you come this way again and I'm not at work. Kristel

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would like to join an Elite Walking group too Ilona! I love Derbyshire,but haven't been for ages.I slipped on the stepping stones crossing the River Dove with my dogs and got drenched.I've been on the South coast for 3 weeks walking quite a lot .Today I've walked all morning ,thoroughly enjoyed it but exhausted now.Ate some blackberries,the sloes are ripening and the paths were littered with ammunition as its on a military range x

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely experience - looks a fab walk !!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for sharing these lovely pictures. The colour of that heather is amazing. Annie (Glos.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an amazing walk that was, although the steep ascent sounds less pleasant- but what an accomplishment for you. It looks like you went at the perfect time of year- the heather in bloom is glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You take fantastic photos. Such a lovely part of the world, and it's been far too long since i was there myself "sigh"

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.