Friday 20 October 2017

My porridge runneth over.

Hello. I had a little accident with the porridge this morning. I normally make it in a pan on the hob, but I thought I would have a change and do it in the microwave. While I am preparing food I usually find other jobs to do at the same time, I have no patience when it comes to waiting for food to cook. I set the timer to a couple of minutes, then went back to it, not ready so set it for another two minutes. Then checked the emails, and look what I found. Oh dear. 
It was a bit too solid so I added a splash of milk and some yellow sticker strawberries which I had frozen, it was fine.

I've been rearranging things today. There was a space where the treadle sewing machine was. I was using it as a table so something needed to go in it's place. Upstairs in the office I have a cupboard with a glass door, my friend gave it to me, it used to hold her stereo unit.I pulled everything out of it and very carefully lowered it down the stairs, step by step. It is just the right size to fill the space, and I can put things inside it as well as on top of it.

Then I had to find something to put all the files in which I had taken out. Luckily I had salvaged a set of plastic drawers from the skip. They needed a wash so I did that outside on the table. Now everything is put away, so that's one job done. I need to sort out my boxes of crafty bits and bobs, I keep saving things in case they might come in useful for something, and I don't know what is at the bottom of the boxes.

Another little job I did today was to strip out the plastic inserts from a wooden CD storage unit. Something else salvaged from the skip. It's quite a big size, storing three stacks of CD's in an upright position. If I turn it on it's side, it makes a nice shelf unit. I'll keep it and find a use for it.

I went to town yesterday, stocked up on Heidi's wet cat food, but found that Poundstretcher don't have any of their favourite dry Ultima left. I suspected that they have stopped making it when other shops ran out. Oh dear, I have two bags left, I think they will be sulking when that's gone and I have to put out a different brand. I went into the bank to take out some cash and pay my credit card bill. I also changed the two old £1 coins that I found. I did a top up shop at Aldi as well.

That's all for tonight. Brain has stopped working, now winding down. I am in the habit of going to bed early and getting up early at the moment. 5am this morning, make a mug of coffee and back to bed for a read.

Thanks for popping in, enjoy your weekend, we'll catch up soon.
Toodle pip

15 comments:

  1. Its dark here in NE Scotland when you get up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm an early waker - between four and five usually. It's a lovely time of day.
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a bit lazy and just pour boiling water on basic oats and put a saucer on top of the bowl for a few minutes-it's fine for me.I add whatever I've got-always soya milk or soya protein powder and if no fruit or seeds just a bit of homemade jam(not by myself) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a live wire Ilona, I do love to hear about all the things you do. Keep on trucking!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've had a full day. I find you need a bowl twice as big as usual when you microwave porridge hope that helps. Kath

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love hearing how your day has gone and what you have done.Good idea with the salvaged CD rack,I love finding things and looking at them at another angle to see if i can do something else with them.You could also use your rack for planting your herbs in aswell.Shelving this winter...herb planter next summer!!..As anyone on here noticed their shopping bill creeping up in Aldi?.In the past week,my Basic bread has gone up from 36p to 40p,The shampoo that used to be 35p isnt stocked no more,cheapest 99p,their colgate toothpaste,from 79p to 99p and so on...We have an Asda straight over the road from Aldi where i live so i might give them a go.I did try them one evening,a while back for yellow stickers,but also found that in the evening they had alot of empty Value range shelves,trying to force you into buying more expensive branded stuff.Anyway,i will give it a try when i next go shopping.Have a great weekend all!,Debi,xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Try 1/2 cup instant oats plus 1 cup milk, plus 1/4 cup water in a bowl - microwave 1.40 seconds - comes out perfect for me every morning. Microwaves do vary so you may have to adjust.

    I usually go to bed at 9 or 10 pm and up anywhere between 5 and 6 am.

    How us your weather?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe you need a larger bowl to contain the oats. A lot of microwaving recipes call for a ridiculously large container to keep the contents from boiling over.

    I'm getting to the place I wonder off from my cooking to do other things, so I've had to start setting a timer to remind me to come back and check on whatever I'm cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two minutes in a 700 watt microwave will do it for the oats. I always make my oats that way. I have had the boil-overs, too. It is so annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’ve learnt my lesson with porridge. It’s the only thing I watch like a hawk in the microwave (oh and soup too). I get bored easily so I only barely heat it - I can’t bear waiting and watching it. Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never tried making porridge in the microwave but will now as had such success in making scrambled, poached eggs and omelettes. I wake early but usually get back to sleep quickly in the dark mornings. Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maybe find some more dry food and mix it in half and half with the stuff you have for the cats, that way they will get used to the new stuff while having some of the old, it wont be such a culture shock to get new, also the old will last a little longer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi,I'm the same cant be bothered to watch food cook!! Especially porridge,although. O like it, so... I eat muesli!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aldi's dry cat food is good and their premium dry dog food ("Langhams") is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I found that when I swapped dry food brand, the cats needed more water for a day or 2. (Doesn't happen when i mix and match the wet food.) No idea why, just a heads-up for you.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.