Tuesday 10 July 2018

Now there's a thing.

Hello. I get a few phone calls on the landline from call centre's, they usually try and sell me something, or they are scammers. Every time one comes through and I can hear background chatter I know it's someone in a big office so I put the phone straight down. About two weeks ago I listened to the introduction and heard the word Santander. Oh, maybe I won't put the phone down, my house insurance is with Santander.

I was cautious because it could still be somebody who wants me to part with my money. A male Scottish accent asked if I had read the renewal proposal which they had sent in the post. It was still on my desk, so I said I have glanced at it but not read every word. He was checking that the details on it were the same, and asked if anything had changed. I said it looked alright, still being cautious.

He asked me if I had a mortgage on the property, or if it was owned by me. I answered, it's mine, I paid off the mortgage about five years ago. He said I can give you a discount, which is all very nice I thought, cheaper insurance, a little bonus for me, and I didn't have to ask for it. Every little helps.

I was still a bit suspicious, companies don't normally ring their customers and offer a discount without a catch. It was on my mind, so I went into the Santander office in town with my paperwork  and told them what happened, voiced my concerns that I might have been scammed. They had never known that before, so I went in an office with a very nice man and he agreed it was a bit strange. He got on the phone and  spoke to whoever in whichever department, and said it's ok, all above board, you will be getting a discount. Phew, sigh of relief.

No bank or payment details were talked about on that first phone call with the Scottish gent, he didn't ask me and I didn't tell him. But it was best to get it checked out just in case. So, an extra few quid for me to spend on whatever I fancy.

Thanks for popping in, we'll catch up soon.
Toodle pip


9 comments:

  1. I would have been suspicious, too. You obviously did the right thing, smart woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. huh....I myself quite likely would have hung up long before hearing about a discount. Glad you went in and got it sorted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For once, a happy story with telephone callers, well done: we still get a few irritating sales calls regarding conservatories; PPI; we-know-you've-been-in-a-car-accident-and-can-help-you-claim nonsense, even though we signed up for the 'blocking' numbers programme. Hot again today but at least tolerable at night but I understand it's going to be another scorcher for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it sounds too good to be true, then it is usually a lie. I double check anything to do with money. best be safe than sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Ilona on another saving-I would have missed out as I usually end the call x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite right. My parents had a call from their bank and wanted to discuss things. They did the right thing and contacted the bank themselves. Turned out to be legit, but the bank said they were right to double check.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get a lot of scam calls too even though we are on the do not call register for marketing calls. Thats great that you received the discount and a good idea of yours to go into the office to confirm with them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always put the phone down and then block the number - glad you took the risk and saved - I’d have missed out there x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I pay my phone company 50p per month to have caller display. Then I can decide whether or not (and 99% of the time it's NOT) to answer calls from unfamiliar or foreign numbers. I find if the calls come in during the day they're usually from scammers/call centres.. It's worth £6 a year to me... Paul H

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.