Sunday 2 August 2020

Easypeasy tasty veg stew.

Hello. Good to hear from so many walking club members, thank you for checking in. I'm pleased that you are still walking along with me. 
Tonight I made another pan of veggie stew. I know it's summer and stew is usually eaten in winter, but I don't care. I eat it whenever I fancy it, and when I have an assortment of vegetables. Everything in the pan, carrots, broccoli, onions, (frozen yellow sticker onions), and courgette. Any vegetables will do., frozen if you have no fresh. 
Here is the secret ingredient. I bought four packets of Knorr soup for £1, they are out of date by a couple of months. I add half the packet when the veg is tender, give it a good stir, and continue simmering for another three minutes. 

And this is the result, a super tasty bowl of Broccoli and Stilton veg stew, with a few lentils chucked in for good measure. There are two more portions for tomorrow. Try it, it's deeeelishus. 
Pictures from my six mile walk yesterday. Look how the peas are growing.
A field full of pretty flowers. It wasn't long ago when this was a field full of turf. They don't half work fast around here. As soon as one crop has been harvested, another is on it's way. 

A close up. They are like pale pinkish poppies. 

I'm a bit late with this, so I'll wrap it up. Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.  ilona

17 comments:

  1. Maybe they are growing poppies for opium/morphine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what it looks like to me. They'd rocket away on freshly harvested ground. A pink field of medicine.

      Delete
  2. I love how you never let anything go to waste. Even if it’s feeding crumbs to the birds. I enjoy your blog so much. And I agree with your attitude of doing things on your own and making your own path in life. And what a beautiful life you have made!!!
    Tammy Rose
    West Virginia USA

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a great time of year for making stew when all the fresh veggies are available.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love stew whatever time of the year and it is always great for using stuff up!.Yours looks lovely.Ive been using cuppa soups up as seasoning as I am running out of alot of spices.Ive just bashed a few of the packets up and mixed them together in a jar.Then just sprinkle it in what ever I am cooking.I am doing everything to keep me out of the supermarket where I just wouldnt feel safe.My daughter gave me a big box of carrots on Saturday so after giving my family and neighbours some,I made a few meals for the freezer which will keep us going for the next week.Its a lovely sunny day here in Leicester so I hope that it is shining for you too!.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Cuppa soups are also useful in stews. They taste horrible on their own in a cup.

      Delete
  5. Your stew looks lovely. I enjoy stew any time of the year. It is a good way to make sure we get the recommended amount of vegetables. I love the idea of using part of a soup packet in the stew. You always have so many ideas for stretching our pennies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I win the lottery and worth millions I'd like to employ you as my cook, all your meals have me salivating, I love to see your food, lovely. (PS, I don't actually do the lottery) lol, Margaret x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really call myself a cook. My meals just happen.

      Delete
  7. Those poppies are beautiful. At first glance, I thought they were tulips ... but, it’s the wrong time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ilona Mayze Heidi and Oscar - your vegetable stew looks delicious will have to make it soon. You always give us good ideas with frugality and food. Thank you Ilona.xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. The poppies are beautiful - like a pink carpet. The stew looks yummy. I do that too - add veggies to ready-made soups. I love lots of veggies! When I was little, I lived where it was very cold and it was so nice coming in the house to a bowl of lovely stew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have a good selection of herbs and spices in jars and packets, not any more. Soup mix has everything in one packet.

      Delete
  10. Looks good! I pre-soak some pearl barley. This is yummy. Also, gravy mix is good for flavouring and thickening. John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gravy mix, if the veggie variety, is ok for me. Good suggestion.

      Delete
  11. Must try this delicious veggie stew it looks delicious. Need to buy some lentils and pearl barley too. This is frugality at its best but also very tasty. No waste or fuss just lovely vegetables and lentils. Thank you Ilona for your great tips. Love to you and the darling pussies.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dried lentils are cheaper than the ready cooked variety, but as I don't like to spend too much time in the kitchen Aldi ready cooked are good for me.

      Delete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.