Monday 7 September 2020

Oh I do like to be beside the seaside. Tra la la.

Good morning. It's Monday morning and it's raining. I think we are promised a heatwave, or so I read somewhere. I've just got a few piccies today from my recent seaside trip. Alas Cedric was not able to accompany me on this walk, he aint got no legs you see. 
This is St Andrews-by-the-Ford church, somewhere in West Sussex, at a village called Ford actually. As I was wandering around the churchyard a man on a bicycle turned up looking all official with his yellow vest on. Ooooh goody, he is opening up, I might get a look inside. And so I did, he had come to do some maintenance on the door. It's a quaint little church inside. I have a thing about churches, especially small ones, I want to live in one. 
It's in a very pretty setting at the end of a lane which has a footpath down to the river. 

I like looking around villages. An interesting gatehouse to a big old house. 
I got onto the footpath at the back of the church and followed the river bank . Across the fields I could see a large model aircraft, and with a bit of zoom I could see it was on a stalk. According to the map there is an airfield there. 
I followed the twists and turns of the River Arun. I much prefer walking along a river, rather than a long straight canal. Just before I got to the Marina at Littlehampton I came across a dog walker. I stepped aside to let him pass, making a fuss of the two little dogs. Can't help doing that, dogs are a great excuse to say hello and a exchange a few pleasantries. I don't know how it happened but we stood talking for about twenty minutes. Probably my fault because I can ramble on a bit, you might have noticed. Anyway, a chat provides a nice break. A little bit of interaction with another human being is a pleasant interlude during a walk in the countryside. 
There is a footbridge which crosses the river at the Marina. I walked across and took a few photo's.


I had the option of crossing over at this point, but looking at the map it shows the seasidey part, and the town, which would probably be full of people having a day out. If I crossed I would also have to cross back again over the same bridge, so I decided to stay on the quiet side, and continue along the path on the right hand side of the river. You can see the newer buildings on the other side of the water. 

Of course as we all know, the river goes down to the sea. The beach is mainly shingle. There is a big car park with a few cars parked up, their occupants presumably have gone for a walk on the quiet side. 
There is the funfair over there, no thanks. A little bit of background info, I worked on Blackpool Pleasure Beach for three years in the late sixties, I have been to some of the biggest theme parks in the USA, so small funfairs are not an attraction for me. 
At this point you can follow the seashore along the coast, even though it is not an official path on the OS map, but it is hard going on the shingle. I opted to backtrack a bit and take the path marked on the map, which took me along edges of fields, and through wooded areas. Much more pleasant. Eventually it came out a bit further along the coast, joining the beach at Atherington. 


Coming off the beach at Midddleton on Sea, I followed the road through Felpham, passing through some very swish houses which looked like they had been featured in some of George Clarks TV programmes. Lots of glass verandas and block paving. 
It was time to turn right and head back. 
I came across this converted church as I passed through a village. How pretty and lovely that they have kept a lot of the original features. My kind of house. 
All in all a good days walk. A bit of allsorts. No hills mind you, but that's fine for me, lots of interesting features to discover. 12 miles added to my total. 
Back home now, and I'm off to Crafty Club, so I'll cut you loose. Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.  ilona

22 comments:

  1. I would have loved to have gone into that church. I'm guessing many a prayer has implored heaven from that little place. Beautiful pictures, Ilona. Thank you for sharing them and for the commentary also. ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I go into a little church I am imagining me living there. The bed will be in that corner, the kitchen over there, and I will divide it up into areas, without actually knocking it about. I find churches incredibly calming.

      Delete
  2. Wow,you traveled a long way for a day out,but as you enjoy driving I dont soppose its a problem!.Isnt it nice though to go somewhere different!.Your photos are lovely and always make me feel as though I had a day out too!It must have been so nice to be able to stand and chat to a stranger..with the added bonus of 2 little dogs as well.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a long way. I did have a reason for going, but sadly it turned out to be a waste of time. The walk was the best part of it, so I am focussing on the positive.

      Delete
  3. Thank you Ilona for the lovely walk the little church is so cute. Thank you for the photos always interesting to see where you go.
    Weather is good here I have done a bit if gardening in the front not ny favourite place I prefer to be in the back garden still it's been done now only have to get do bulb in.
    Hazel c uk 🌈🌈🌈

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos Ilona especially of the little church thank you. Love to Maize and Oscar keep following your plant based food items because of arthritis and auto immune disease these kind of meals are ideal. Lots of love Liz Amy and sleepy Benny.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Top marks for eating plants. Meat is poison.

      Delete
  5. Great photos Ilona. You need to get a wheelchair and a nice warm blanket so Cedric can keep you company on your next jaunt!😀😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's a good idea. I think it would frighten some people though. He looks like he has been embalmed with his dark complexion.

      Delete
  6. Everything is so quaint. Beautiful pics. Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's lovely to be able to see somewhere new isn't it. We have such a variety here. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is enough for me to see on this island. No need to go any further.

      Delete
  8. The converted church building photo is so nice! I wouldn't mind having house like that. Nice walk you had. A bit much for me, now but it's a good way to see places not seen. We sometimes talk with people a bit while out walking. Phil likes to tell jokes and make people laugh. Thanks for the photo walk you shared!! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that being friendly with strangers a lot easier than having long drawn out conversations with people I know. Short and punchy, then goodbye, it was nice talking to you.

      Delete
  9. Jac here. Coincidences are often surprising - I was turning out photos yesterday and there I was, aged 4 in my red and white rubbery swim suit, sitting on the beach at Middleton-on-sea, 1953.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's an amazing coincidence. I remember my bathing suit to be elasticated lumpy and bumpy. When the water got into it, it stretched down to my knees.

      Delete
  10. What lovely photos! This looks like a grand day out - I also love visiting small village churches & wondering about all the people who have sat in the pews in days gone by. Ilona, I want to thank you for your blog & YouTube videos - I have gone back to the beginning of both and I'm really enjoying them again! Toodlepip x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. My videos are proving to be quite popular, I have well over 2000 followers on yoootooob now, amazing.

      Delete
  11. Hi Ilona just seems your comment . We are camping at South Sometcotes. Tomorrow we are riding down to near Skegness but not going in and then turning inland to Alford and riding back. Nothing planned as yet for the rest of the week. As I am on the phone cannot find your email address

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for getting back to me. I can't find South Somercotes on the map, and Skegness is no where near me. Will you be coming back over the bridge, or are you going round? I don't have your phone number.

      Delete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.