Monday 1 February 2021

Exploring

Hello. Yesterday I drove a few miles to a neighbouring village to start my walk. I wanted a change, and it was nice weather. I have done some of this walk before, but it was a few years ago. I set out along this footpath which runs alongside an old railway line, now disused. There are views across to the River Trent here. 
There is a rickety old footbridge which crosses the line. It doesn't go anywhere, there is a field at the other side. Probably not a good idea to stand on it. 
Muddy tracks to slip and slide along. My walking pole helped to keep me upright. A few dog walkers were about, but the area is so spread out with lots of walks in different directions, it was easy to avoid them. 
Hidden away in a small wooded area I found an ancient graveyard. The headstones must have been laid flat some years ago because trees have grown up between them. The dates were mainly from the 1800's. The trees have been cut down and the logs were laid out around the edges. Here you can get an idea of how big the trees were by their circumference. Someone had fastened makeshift laminated notices on the remaining trees asking people not to step onto the stones out of respect for the dead. I was quite surprised to see this here. It's on the side of a hill, not what you would expect to see. Apparently there was a church here, but all I saw was a short piece of low stone wall, which might have been part of it. 
A view of the Solar Farm, taken near the graveyard. 
Eventually I came to the Retail Park. Not a very exciting place to walk through, but it joined the circle.
The main car park looked busy, from a distance. 
I came out of the Retail Park and walked along a busy road to the Industrial Estate. Again not an exciting place, but it was quiet with the odd few lorries about. I walked all the way through it from one side to the other. 
As I headed towards the other end of the Estate, I thought I would try and cut the corner and walk across a piece of wasteland. I could see that others had walked across it before, maybe going too and from work. I came across what looked like a squatters camp site, maybe someone homeless had been here. They had gone, and left all their belongings, everything was strewn about and wet. 
The disused railway line was between me and the road I wanted to get to, but it had high metal fencing on both sides of it. I walked alongside the fencing to see if there was a gap I could get through. No gap, but there was a gate which wasn't locked, lucky. Now all I had to do was walk along the track and hope that I could get up onto the road. Yipeeee, done it. Climb up the bank from the track down there, with the help of my pole. 
Success, now all I had to do was walk back to my car along the road. The wind had got up and I was flippin cold. Quite an interesting walk, I like exploring. Six miles covered. 

Thank you to those Walking Group members who have checked in. It's good to see you taking part. If you haven't yet checked in you can go back to the page on the first of every month, at any time. 

Tattybye for now. We'll catch up soon. toodle pip.   ilona

14 comments:

  1. Thank you for such a nice post of your adventure. 6 miles is a lot to walk. Congrats on that. You amaze me!! Lots of snow where I live and more coming tonight. Will stay home, cozy and warm. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we woke up to snow this morning. I may not go far today.

      Delete
  2. That was a very interesting walk. Lots to see along the way. I did 3km yesterday, which is just under two miles and was glad to get home again, it's been so long since I walked that far. Today I'll go again, a bit later when the heat goes out of the sun and gradually increase the distance once my hips and hamstrings have got used to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have the opposite problem to us with the weather. It's snowing here this morning.

      Delete
  3. You found some interesting things to photograph - edge of town is so different to out here in the country

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will do more 'edge of town' walks.

      Delete
  4. i enjoyed reading about your walk, and coming across the gravestones. Was there a marker about the church? I wonder why it had ceased to exist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was no markers, just the laminated notices attached to the trees. More info here about the history of it if you want to read.
      https://ancientmonuments.uk/107597-flixborough-saxon-nunnery-and-site-of-all-saints-medieval-church-and-burial-ground-flixborough#.YBprzpdxfcs

      Delete
  5. I thought that the grave stones were really interesting and Ive never seen them all laid flat like that.Very respectful to a grave yard and church to keep a reminder of what was there.I love walking around our local grave yards.It is so peaceful and there are 3 within walking distance to me.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they lay them down so they don't topple on anyone.

      Delete
  6. It's the graves that interest me, I would be looking them up when I got home just to do some research around the history of them.
    Just something I like doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked for information of the site, but not of the gravestones.
      https://ancientmonuments.uk/107597-flixborough-saxon-nunnery-and-site-of-all-saints-medieval-church-and-burial-ground-flixborough#.YBprzpdxfcs

      Delete
    2. That looks really interesting. I love history and what used to be.
      Thankyou

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing your walk!

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.