Sunday 11 April 2021

New cat shelter.

It was a bit cold outside today. Half way through making the shelter I had to quickly move things into the garage and wait for a hailstorm to blow over. 
I used an old kitchen cupboard which I had stored in the garage. It had flower pots and wood in it. It didn't have a back so I found a piece of board which fitted it perfectly. I took the door off it and used that for the roof. The shelf wasn't wide enough so I cut another piece of board and nailed it to the existing shelf to extend it. 
It has a piece of foam three inches thick on the shelf, topped with a couple of old cat beds which have lost their puffiness. It's easy to get into, not too high to jump up. Should be quite cosy. 
It stands in the porch underneath the plastic roof, so it has some protection from the weather. I can see it from the house, I will keep my eye on it and see who is the first one to use it. It's for Oscar. I don't think Mayze will use it, she likes to stay closer to the house. 

Thanks for popping in. Catch ya tomorrow. Toodle pip.   ilona

6 comments:

  1. It looks nice and cozy and Im sure that Oscar will love it.I have got one in my front garden for a cat that belongs to someone in the area.I feel so sorry for it because they have kicked it out because they bought a new kitten....I do have words for people like this but wont put them here...I feed it,fuss it and would take it on as my own but my 5 cats hate it.It keeps sneaking in my house through the cat flap.so as you can imagine there has been fur flying.My 5 cats have all been neutered but this one hasnt...so it has started spraying its territory in my kitchen.I just wish that it would use the bed and shelter I have made for it!!Hope that the sun is shining for you today.Although chilly,the sun is beaming down here in Leicester.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's disgusting of the owners to do that. Can you take the cat to a rescue centre where he could get neutered? I suppose if the owners are still around you would need their permission first. I'm shocked.

      Delete
    2. Hi Thrifty Towers,I have thought this one through and I have been round to there house 3 times....they just wash their hands of it.I have argued with them..but I am afraid that they will take him anywhere n dump him.That is my problem...he is quiet happy strolling around the area he knows..apart from coming into my house and spraying..the poor thing just wants to be part of my family.But like I said,my 5 cats hate him...have done for the last year and it isnt getting no better!.The owners are very much the same with their kids..they have 13..just for the benefit money!.They make me sick.I am just carrying on each day,doing what Im doing...That is my problem as well,getting their permission...they are scumbags and just dismiss anything they dont want...Vile people.xx

      Delete
  2. Morning! Thanks for posting the photos - looks great! I've got an old wooden orange box so i may be able to do a similar structure. Yest morning I sat in a sunny garden-spot to plant some seeds - not even a jacket required; 2hours later and it started snowing. Bizarre weather! gillian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely love your home made cat box for Oscar I'm sure he will love it you are so kind to your kitty cats.debbies comment about the poor stray cat coming in because owners discard them reminded me of an incident last week.my cat Rodney was unwanted by his owners who still live near me.i give him a home and tons of love.the previous owners shouted at him to go away the other day when he went to say hello outside.he looked very hurt to be shouted at and shooed away.some people are so nasty out there thank goodness for kind souls looking after the unwanted oness

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely job Ilona and so cosy and sheltered i am sure the cats will love it.. Thats awful of those people to put the poor cat out and running risk of it getting ill or worse plus more unwanted kittens. I hope you find a home of it or maybe a shelter will take it and rehome. I hope they don't do the same when the other kitten grows up x

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.