Sunday 25 June 2023

Lincolnshire Show - the people

Good morning. Another sunny start to the day. Here I am bright and bushy tailed after standing around all day yesterday at the Summer Fair, and doing a dog walk. A good nights sleep works wonders for me. 
Let's catch up on the Thursday visit to the Lincolnshire Show. I could go to an event, walk around all day by myself, and not speak to anyone, but I don't. My middle name is gasbag, I will talk to anyone. So for me it's all about the people I meet, asking questions, finding out about why they are there, and what they do. I also like to contribute to the conversations by adding my own little stories. 
This is Shaun. I asked him about the equipment they carry on the vehicle, what it is used for, and the types of emergencies they are called out to. He has a full time job and can be called out to attend an incident via the pager he carries. He talked about the checks they make on the equipment. Every piece has an exclusive stock number, so they go through it all on a regular basis to make sure nothing is missing, and they have what they need when going to a shout out. 


I had to speak to the Red Arrows team, as I follow them on Twitter. These are the engineers who look after the aircraft. They agreed that it was a good choice of career for them. I am always pleased when people say they love their job, it is so important. 
More happy smiley faces. We talked about the importance of looking after yourself with a good diet and plenty of exercise. They were interested in my long distance walks, and the 1000 miles a year challenge. Have you noticed how I gravitate towards young good looking men, ha ha. 😜

The owner of this magnificent beast talked about his passion.

I can't tell you much about this aircraft, I was more interested in how it was actually transported to the showground. With my interest in heavy haulage I wondered if the yellow support frame and the jockey wheel would be removed, thus reducing the travelling height. No, they said. It sits as it is on a low loader which has to be hired for the job. They said it can travel on a motorway. The bridges on motorways have to be 16-6 high. So there you go. Interesting. 
Look at this gorgeous beast. Imagine sitting high up in that cab, and look at the width of that harvesting machine. I remember the first time I started thinking about becoming a lorry driver. What would it be like to sit high up in a cab? Now I am thinking I would love to have a drive of this mighty machine. 

The lads on the Iveco stand were very chatty. Can I sit in your cab please mister. Did I really drive a vehicle of this size for all those years? This one is fully automatic, no clutch, no gear stick. That would take some getting used to after wrestling with a twin splitter gear box in an ERF. Massive cab size, two bunks with plenty of headroom. Not sure I like the wrap around dashboard though. There is often a need to step across from the drivers seat into the passenger side when waiting to load/unload. 
I will be back tomorrow with lots and lots of flower pics. Do pop in if you have time. 

Toodle pip.   ilona
 

6 comments:

  1. That looks like a great day Ilona enhanced by you meeting such very nice men x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that when people are away from their home environment and the humdrum of ordinary life, their spirits are automatically uplifted.

      Delete
  2. I admire your independent and energetic spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That really does look a lovely day out.Lots to see as well.Also great when you can get into a conversation about what it is they represent.Errrrm,any.chance that you could bring me and Flis a couple of Red Arrow men back when you go next time?Thanks!xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments are closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.