Thursday 10 August 2023

Nudge nudge

Good morning. Something Peg said on the previous post, when she/he was expressing their opinion on the UK Column News channel. Got me thinking about emotive language.
Quote 
I don’t like the over use of emotive language. It is all so intensive as opposed to neutral. Also there seems to be little questioning of people interviewed - for example the current Andrew Bridgen interview.
Unquote
UK Column is one of many alternative news channels to be found on the internet. They tell it like it is and get to the heart of the matter. They dig deep and don't stop until the real news is unravelled. The Main Stream Media however is dominated by over emotive language. It's called fear mongering, and is designed to shock and worry people into compliance. Independent, and staff journalists, who sell their work to the main stream media know what is required to get them the best rates for their articles. And we all know that they are biased towards those who call the shots. Money talks. 
I have picked out a few examples of mis information, and dis information. Possibly there is some truth in these headlines, but the sole purpose of them is to nudge people into thinking that whatever is happening is all down to some crisis or another. 
Note the use of the word 'anxiety'. Emotive language to provoke worry.   
The use of the word 'suffer' To frighten us. Stay at home, it's too hot to go outside. 

If you have booked a holiday to Rhodes, you might like to think twice about it. 'Wildfire' gives the impression that multiple fires started spontaneously, when arsonists have been arrested.

Expect events to be cancelled. Too wet, too hot, too windy. 
Don't take any valuables with you, or not go at all. Stay at home. 
Note the use of the word 'shocking'. It's everywhere. 
Untold devastation. Scary stuff.
Rationed. Utilities will be turned off. No aircon.
Rain batters. Scary. 
Wildfires. Best not go to Greece.
Avoid road closures. Find another way round. Use more fuel. 
Huge fire, engulf buildings, warnings. Stay at home. 
Gas boilers, penalties, get a heat pump.
Here we go again. Fears, struck down, deadliest disease. 
Load of bollocks. 
Maybe best to walk or cycle to work then. 
Disruption. Change your plans. Don't go. 
The Guardian, say no more. 
Ban. Scrap your car and get an EV.
Shortage of water. Build as many homes as you like. Maybe give each one it's own well. 
Sick people stranded. Not enough staff. Don't get sick. 
That bloody rain again. Be alerted.
It goes on and on and on. Turn your TV off, and get your life back. Peg, UK Column is trying to address the imbalance of people's perception of what is going on. People will veer towards the sources that they most trust. That's ok, but there are always other sides to the story. Always remember those with the most money will shout the loudest. 
Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona.

27 comments:

  1. I don't like emotive language in news articles, but what I really don't like is over-emoting news readers who pull faces and add their own 'witty' comments. It now seems to be the norm and it is distracting and unprofessional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't watch any main stream news, don't have a tele. I catch some short pieces of news on GB News on yoootooob or twitter, but never noticed what you describe.

      Delete
  2. I remember in the winter we were to be hammered by a wall of snow……just think about that for a moment. How does a wall hammer you? And also when does snow in the U.K. turn into a massive wall?? In my opinion MSN stands for more silly news 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hammered is a scare inducing word. In the snow context it means a light dusting, but that would be too boring.

      Delete
  3. Wow, my comment resulted in a post! I shall read and digest and comment. From a very quick scan of the examples, I think some of the language is neutral.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couldn't agree with you more.If it wasn't so dire ,it would be hilarious reading all that 👍👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when you know what's coming down the line, it is laughable. Stay one step ahead and you can predict what happens next.

      Delete
  5. All I can say is that I agree with every thing you say on this.The big boys are controlling us now.We are being watched.Manipulated.Told what we can do,what we can say....and we have to pay and be punished if we dont comply.Well the lot of them can stick it up their backsides as far as Im concerned....see how polite I was then,lol.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fighting spirit Debi. Stay awake.

      Delete
    2. I have just been talking to a neighbour who is worried because she was in Wilkinsons yesterday and paid with her card.The cashier asked if she would like to give 5p to charity and to press yes on the card machine.She felt mean saying No so pressed it.No idea of what charity!!...but who ever they are they have now got her details.I wonder if they ask this if you pay with cash?....Will this become a thing in all the big shops now?.Another way of trying to guilt trip us but getting your details at the same time?xx

      Delete
    3. This is sad, playing on people's emotions. No need to feel guilty if you don't want to give to charity. It's always a personal choice. She will probably get a letter asking for more money. Wilko is on the verge of closing down, that's if they can't muster up a rescue package from whoever with a lot of money.

      Delete
  6. I agree with some of these examples but not all of them.
    - The race meeting cancelled - that, to me, is just factual reporting
    - Daily Express - I expect emotive language from that paper. I don’t really see it as serious journalism
    - Road closed - factual reporting
    - Daily Mirror - again I don’t expect much
    - Independent - bisexual people experience worse health outcomes. Not sure why that is “complete bollocks”. I would need to read the article
    - Bridge and train - again factual reporting
    - Guardian - well the heat waves have been deadly and the vast majority of scientists are of the view this is caused by man made climate change
    - the rest of them (is below the Guardian) all see factual reporting to me.

    Perhaps I should have more of a look at UK Column

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your brain works differently to mine. My post was about how emotive language was used to instill alarm, like OMG what is happening here. Whether the articles are reporting factual news or not, is not the point. It was all about the way they are delivered. Shock headlines stir up emotions and bring reactions, which is what they want. Just like, 'get your vaccine and save your granny'. We are all being manipulated, and the main stream media have the upper hand because that is where the money is.

      Delete
    2. That was my point. Let’s take the ban on petrol and diesel cars heading. I see that as completely factual and no emotive at all. If the feeling is OMG - well that is a reaction to the fact. I guess the ban on petrol and fuel cars could be seen as manipulation - but all laws are in effect manipulation aren’t they? You can’t go more than 70mph on a motorway - your speed is manipulated. Shops can only open for so many hours on a Sunday,

      So I don’t see the headline as emotive or manipulating.

      Delete
    3. So now we know that you will go along with anything that is asked of you.

      Delete
    4. I definitely obey speed limits. Nasty fines if you don’t!

      Delete
    5. So do I, they are set in law. Emotive headlines are not.

      Delete
    6. But my comment was about laws could be seen as manipulative and then you said I had shown I would go along with anything that was asked of me. Perhaps I should have been clearer in what I said. Sun is shining here - time to get out. As you would say toodle-pip!

      Delete
  7. It’s not about being “alarming”
    It’s about short, sharp headlines that capture people’s interest .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, grabbing peoples attention. The worriers of this world will follow it through and read the article.

      Delete
    2. Yes,it is click bait just so they can worry people to death......They also have the other headlines,about Jennifer Lopez.In her tiny thong showing her peachy bottom.....there was a picture,I didnt read it cause I was eating my crumpets at the time and it was a bit off putting.May be I should strive to be like her.....or those with their ample bosoms spilling out of a low cut thigh high outfit.Implants that are on show for the camara man who just happens to be on the same boat.Is that to make us ordinary folk feel inferior?....Yet if a bloke wolf whistles from a building site,they are treated like rapist!!.Oh,Ive just realised....it is because the big boy owners of the paper sell more when bums n bosoms are on show!!xx

      Delete
  8. I think you are correct Ilona. When I think back to my so called education in the 1960/70s we were taught to read and accept things as facts. We were certainly not taught to perhaps ask where the source of this information was coming from and certainly not critical thinking which I now try to apply to my life now and it personally helps me. Have a good busy day. Sharon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when I was young I followed the rules and believed everything an older person told me. They have experience, they have lived longer than I have, so they must be right. Now we have the internet we have access to a lot of alternative information. Topics that were never discussed before. Now there are no boundaries and we can find out the backgrounds behind the stories.

      Delete
  9. Critical thinking and an open mind are essential.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wide awake media. Christine Anderson.
    https://twitter.com/wideawake_media/status/1689899083937239040

    ReplyDelete
  11. Listen to Senator Ron Johnson.
    https://twitter.com/ABridgen/status/1690040333957050372

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published after my approval.