Monday, 27 July 2026

Yesterday at Sandtoft

 Good morning. The sun is shining, it's Monday. 

Some pics of the Sandtoft Trolley Bus Museum visit yesterday. There are many more pics on this blog of previous visits here. Just put 'Sandtoft' in the search facility on the sidebar, and it will throw up all manner of transport related stuff.

It was a warm but very windy day. Clouds of dust swept over the open fields surrounding the Museum. Attendance was much greater than last year as I remember. A good sign that there is still an appetite for transport related nostalgia for both young and older generations. 

The trolley buses went round and around the circuit all afternoon, with shifts of happy volunteers ready to take the wheel for their turn. Photographers were out in force. Eager to get one more picture of their favourite bus to add to their collection. Such is their dedication of transport matters. 


The 350 is the bus I sometimes get between Scunthorpe and Hull when I cross the Humber Bridge. The fleet is much more modern nowadays, and lacks the charm of these old workhorses. 
The style of this bus reminds me of years gone by when I was piloting a yellow peril lovingly known as a Stevenson's Rocket. David Stevenson had depots in Burton upon Trent, and Uttoxeter.  Separate cab for the driver, window behind the seat for communication with the guard keeping order in the back. 

This bus is from Portugal. Notice it's a left hooker. Apparently it is from Lisbon. Coincidentally I was watching a video the night before from Ben and Emily, who are in Portugal at the moment. Their Lisbon video is entertaining and fun. You can watch it here. 

Another bus with an interesting history. Read the blurb for more details. 

My favourite truck from my early days of trucking. Got to be the British built ERF from Sandbach in Cheshire. Lots of these have been preserved as showmans wagons. Lots of them were imported into Malta. They love old British trucks there. 
A few interesting badges. 




Plenty of classic cars to look at. 

I was spotted and recognised within ten minutes of arriving. Dave and his lovely family live north of the river, and they have been following my blog and videos for ages. It was a pleasure to chat face to face. 

I had other chats as well with various people. I am very bold about starting conversations with people I have never met before. The atmosphere at transport events is very friendly. 

After I had finished looking around everything, I drove the ten minutes to a friends house at Belton to see if Polly was in. She was. Come in and have a cuppa she said. I have mentioned before that I don't drink tea, but on this occasion I thought I would accept her offer, and the tea was palatable. I still won't be getting any tea bags in my shopping though. Polly and me go way back. She was the first member to join the Lady Truckers Club. Our paths have crossed many times when we were both working, and socially, at the Truckshows. 

It was a year since I last saw her so we had a lot to catch up on. Her mobility issues were causing her to use a scooter to get about, so I was pleased to find that she has had a knee replacement operation and is now back to being fully mobile. Whatever is thrown at Polly, health or personal, she will deal with it. 

Anyway, now I must go to Crafty Club, so excuse me while I dash off. I will pop back later. toodle pip.    ilona

2 comments:

  1. You say ' I am very bold about starting conversations with people I have never met before.' Is that because you don't like close relationships? I'm the same, talk about exactly what I think to strangers knowing they will never be around again to critisize or disagree with me. You can't do that with best friends and family,... they don't forget harsh/truthful or bold words. .. but stranges you can say any old thing,.. and they usually smile and pretend they agree as most people are polite to strangers ....where are family,... the mind-games,. ah,.. not for me any more. Christianne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Relationships come into our lives on all different levels. Our personality is moulded on how we are brought up, and what influences we are subjected to. Our personality is also dependent on how receptive we are. Confidence is a trait we learn as time goes on. It plays a part in our desires to be liked and loved. For some it comes easy to make friends, for others it takes a lot more effort to build up friendships. Tapping in to your own emotions is essential to be able to categorise relationships. There are some people you want to hold onto, and some you only allow limited time in your company. It's essential to know the difference. Every friendship and relationship has a cut off time. When you set your own boundaries you can then claim to be free.
      Thank you for your comment.

      Delete

I might publish your comment, or I might not.