Wednesday, 22 July 2026

Slobs

I know, you have had enough of me rabbiting on about litter. Scroll through if you don't want to see the reality of how it is blighting our countryside. 
On my way to Lincoln on Saturday I stopped for a few minutes at this layby on the other side of Scunthorpe. It's called Mortal Ash layby. It's a long layby set back off the dual carriageway A 18. There is a tumbledown shack that is supposed to be a teabar. 
It has been a magnet for litter and fly tipping for many years. Not so long ago a team of pickers went in there over several days to clear it up. Now it's as bad again, if not worse than before. This is just one layby. 











I see lots of pictures like this on UK Litter pickers page. Teams of pickers do a good job all over the UK, but we are fighting a losing battle. Things have changed since I was a nipper, I can't ever remember scenes like this when I was growing up in a village and running around footloose and fancy free. People took pride in their frontage, rubbish was stored in the right place, not just discarded wherever they felt like it. 

I wish I could come up with some answers. Litter pickers will continue to tidy up their patch, but we are outnumbered by the amount of slobs who couldn't give a toss, literally, about the area around them. Chuck it anywhere, as long as it's out of my sight. 

Have a nice day. Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona

11 comments:

  1. Ice cream mix? Veg oil? Thats household waste. Why not put it in your bin? Do campervans park up for days on end making ice-cream? Or would that be from an ice-cream van? We need some detective work here. By the way, where I live there is virtually no litter, in the parking areas or streets, guess it's a northern thing? Kitty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some it is trade waste which needs to go to a collection site and disposal paid for. People don't want to pay.

      Delete
    2. Oh I see, I didn’t know that. Thanks Ilona, it did get me puzzled.

      Delete
  2. Years ago we did not have a lot of plastic bottles, packaging etc. etc. Plus things were made to last, what we buy now is made of cheap materials that do not last very long and a replacement is required, again with the same cheap materials.. Where to put the old ones, anywhere they will fit, but out of that persons sight.

    Also, you have to remember there were not as many people as there were years ago. The population was mainly British born, now people from all over the world are in your country, and mine too, people who lived differently, and bring that with them.
    Unlike these days, people everywhere respected everyone and everything, so we never gave the thought to just throw things anywhere they liked to.
    Not everyone is a slob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't say everyone is a slob.

      Delete
  3. The population is growing so fast. And the teaching of respect for others and self respect have been pushed out by the ME generation. Can the damage that has been done be turned around? I am running out of optimism for that. We tried to bring our children up to be respectful of yourself, your belongings and of others. I see they are bringing our grandchildren up the same way. But we’re not sure this way of living is the majority as it was years ago. I think we can just do the best we can to carry on, hoping maybe others will learn from our example. And each night lay our heads down that we have tried our best. ♥️πŸ™πŸ»

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need to keep these posts going. I’ve been going on about the tsunami of litter in the UK for years and do my bit litter picking as well although not as much as you. The UK is getting worse and sadly many people regard litter as part of the landscape and ignore or simply don’t see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we need to keep talking about it. The UK is turning into a cesspit.

      Delete

  5. errrr dont know how to break it to you but this is a well known dogging spot ...lol...careful what you pick up , a colleague was approached by someone a couple of years ago...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. In a recent report about the last clean up, the Council re named it the Raventhorpe Lay by, to try and divert the attention from it's well known name.

      Delete
  6. It's thrown away society.. no respect for nobody especially themselves. People took pride 😀 πŸ‘ πŸ₯² πŸ₯° years ago lady's Dolly the Door step with a Donkey 🫏stone my Auntie Harriet mentioned it!
    Consumer society. Make do and mend attitude as long gone.. sad really the amount of litter in our Beautiful countryside πŸ’š 🟩 πŸ“— 🟒 🍏 πŸ₯— πŸ’š 🌳 🌲 🌴 🌳 🌲 🌴 🌳 🌲 🌴 🌳 ...


    Best Wishes Levi xx 😘 ♥️

    ReplyDelete

I might publish your comment, or I might not.