Friday 1 April 2011

How not to waste money

Did you watch that Super Scrimpers thingy programme on Channel 4 the other night? I saw it at the hostel, tele is a novelty for me as I don't have one at home, so I settled down for a bit of light hearted entertainment. Core blimey, what a load of twaddle that was. I was hoping to pick up a few more money saving tips to add to my already long list, but no, it didn't tell me anything I don't already know.

There was a well off family with good jobs and loadsa dosh coming into the house, and still they couldn't manage. Mr well off had to give up his Volvo gas guzzler for a week and drive an economical Ford, and Mrs well off had to stop buying clothes that she wasn't going to wear. And they all had to stop eating takeaways and learn how to use their own kitchen.

There was a woman with worn out knickers and bra, she chose to buy a packet of dye, and colour her undies with it. How much is the dye going to cost? She would be much better to start wearing boys pants, someone tell her they last much longer than frillies. How to freshen limp lettuce. First buy it in a bag ready chopped up, the most expensive way to buy it unless it's reduced of course. Then buy a lemon and cut it in half and mix the juice in some water, and stick the lettuce in it. For goodness sake, just eat the lettuce before it gets to the limp stage, or slosh some salad cream on it.

Make your own nettle pasta. Well she called it pasta, it looked more like boiled pastry to me. Take two free eggs from your own chickens, mix them with some flour. Since when do chickens give you free eggs, don't you have to build a house and a run for chickens, buy feed and grit for them, take them to the vet when they are poorly, treat them for red mite, etc etc. All very well for a woman who has thirty acres of land, she can afford it. As I said, a bit of light hearted entertainment.

Talking of scrimping, this is my dinner tonight, or should I say was, I've eaten it. A pan of steamed veg, drizzled with toasted sesame seed oil. Sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, and carrots. Lovely.

I'm watching my pennies more carefully now, starting today I shall report back my spending. Living on £8,000 a year means a very disciplined lifestyle, one that I am well used to, but you can't let your guard drop.




Here is my lovely Bugsy asking for his dinner.


20 comments:

  1. I watched that prog. too, what a load of rubbish ! They had a weekly income of over £2000 and still managed to overspend. I had the same thoughts as you about the lettuce and the 'pasta'. I would have liked to know more about the wine, the interesting stuff they didnt tell us about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Love the cat video, my puss doesnt 'talk' as much as that but he still manages to let me know what he wants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your cat video. I did not watch the program but I believe no one nowdays knows how to cut corners like we do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHAT a sweetie your cat is, Ilona. I watched the programme and I can't believe that an Indian family don't know that it is cheaper to make your own food.

    I thought that pasta looked just like pastry. Also, just imagine those Sloggies with all the elastic half gone in them, died! Better off to use them as dusters, & buy tougher knicks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. could nt get that programme over here in the States but I d rather read your blog. You live so well on 8,000 a year and your food always looks fresh, light and appetizing. Too many frugal blogs are nt really frugal at all- yours is one of the few that has taught me anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh!!what a darling your little Bugsy is!!great Video!!your dinner look's good as well,so healthy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a very lovely and talkative cat. Made me want to pick him up and hold him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI I missed that programme. I tried looking for it on catch up but couldnt find it. It doesnt sound like I missed too much.
    Love the cat video, so sweet. Sounds like you had a great time away.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree with you about that TV programme and, as I loudly said to my TV at the time, it WAS boiled pastry and disgusting it looked too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I watched the programme and marvelled at the family on SO much money 'not being able to manage'. The boiled pastry looked like a dirty dishcloth not Nettle Pasta....now I could show them nettle pasta!!

    We all seem to be so far ahead of things in this Frugal World maybe WE should make a programme....one that would ACTUALLY help people.

    But TV nowadays is all about entertainment not teaching us anything....to be honest I'm running out of things to watch.

    Nice to have you back and on top form too!!

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I quite agree with you lizzie. There seems to be several interpretations of the words frugal, simple living, and money saving. Cutting back does not start with spending money on items to assist with spending less. Cutting back means to stop spending, period.

    Making do with what you already have is the answer. Looking around you, in your house, in your garden. Finding different uses for things, without spending an extra bean.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I couldnt agree more about that programme. I thought I would pick up some tips. If you ask me it was just another reinterpretation of the Alvin Hall "Your Money or your Life" programme only not as good. They are literally entertainment value not to be taken as educational. I must say I did love the Alvin Hall show and I miss him on our TV all the others are a poor imitation. I agree with Izzie, I learn so much more from you. I do love Bugsy what a gorgeous cat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooo I just found your blog and it's a bit fabulous. I'm going to take a look at all your money saving tips, I adore saving money :)

    ali

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a darling puss, I miss my cats, but with the 2 lurchers, it'd be like "Tom and Jerry" all day long :-O
    Your boy certainly looks like a character :-D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw the programme, the dad with the 'prestige' car, it's all about image with these people. Imagine his 'image' now when all his friends/colleagues & neighbours have seen how they cannot manage on £120k p/a. My nan has a saying that you have to '' follow people home'' and that is so true.

    ReplyDelete
  16. *grins* Saw the same programme and came to the very same conclusions as you, Ilona!

    http://halfrida-albertsdottir.blogspot.com/2011/03/superscrimpers-um-ah-erm.html

    Isn't it funny how us frugal types all have a very similar mindset?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I quite agree! far too much false economy nonesense marketed as money saving sense.

    I love your Bugsy! We lost our lovely cat last summer, he was murdered by a dog that got into our garden. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm another who thought it was tosh- those pants looked awful and I certainly wouldn't have been hanging them on the line for everyone to see.I don't think I will be watching again as I just want to shake people who ' can't manage' on what seems like a lottery win to me. My next frugal efforts are going to be targeted at renovating a house on next to nothing. We are moving from our home of 19 years to one which needs some TLC to go along with the rewiring,new gutters, roof work,crack-filling,pointing,repainting etc. Good job we are good at DIY, bargain hunting and thinking outside the box as the rewiring is going to take the money which was earmarked for renovating the entire house. Might just have to start a blog about it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Ilona, I also watched THAT programme, expecting you to be hosting it, and was very disappointed that you weren't. You would really have cranked up the entertainment and educational value. None of the tips given were as useful as yours. The programme simply highlighted that, in spite of the recession and economic doom and gloom, there ARE families out there who do have large incomes and are skilled at throwing their hard-earned wages away! The combined annual income of the Indian couple was 180K and STILL they managed to OVERSPEND by 2k a month! The mind boggles! In fact, I am still reeling from that information and in need of a large whisky which I can't afford! Any suggestions as to what I can drink instead? :-[

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dont have that programme here but i think i could watch Bugsy what a cute way of talking

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.