Wednesday 22 February 2012

Yorkshire Sculpture Park (some of it)

Good morning. It's a good job I went to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park yesterday, as that nasty wet stuff is coming down today, and it's blowing around a bit. So, I am going to split this topic into two posts because it's taking a while to upload all the photo's, as usual I have taken lots. Yes, the park is free to enter, free to look round all the exhibits inside and out, free to walk round all 500 acres should you wish to do so, but there is a £5 per car parking charge, except that this old biddy doesn't pay for parking. No no no, I am a pensioner, let the rich folk pay. I found a free parking place on the other side of the motorway, under the railway arch, about half a mile along on the road to Woolley Edge. Have legs will walk :o)
They very kindly give out free maps when you go in, this is very usefull to plan your walk. I didn't enter at the main entrance, but a little further along at the Coffee Shop which is only open at weekends and Bank Holidays. However there are picnic tables to use if you have brought your own. I had a bite of my sandwich and a drink first.
The leaflet is full of info to help you find the bits you want to see. It has details of the current exhibitions, and the permanent static outdoor ones as well. First I headed for the Chapel.

This is the banner advertising this exhibition

And this is it inside the chapel. You enter the large room through a black curtain. Inside it is dark except for a very large screen, carefull not to stumble over the benches. I sat down and started watching, wondering what was going to happen next. I blinked and nothing happened, I seemed to be watching a very nice picture of a woodland scene. 
After a few minutes I was thinking about leaving, I didn't have time to sit around all day if nothing was going to happen. Just how long am I expected to sit here. I wondered if I was missing the point, so I stared at the screen a while longer, but then something magical happened, and I started to understand what it was all about. The picture was changing very very slowly. There is no sound, you need to watch in total silence. I was on my own for a while and I was completely moved to tears by the beautiful scenes which unfolded before my eyes. This snapshot is just one of 18,000 photographs, yes eighteen thousand, which were fused together by the artist Jem Finer. The film goes through all the seasons, night time as well, the camera never moves, it is fixed in a tree.  
I sat for about half an hour or more, completely mesmerized as if in a hypnotic state. People came and went, they didn't get it, they missed out on a beautiful experience. The film goes through all the seasons in very slow motion, so slow it is hard to detect the changes. People appear then disappear, deer enter the scene and fade away again. You think there is not much going on but as you watch you see the gift of changes that mother nature rewards us with. 
Check out the Sculpture Park web site for more information of this stunning artwork. To experience the full pleasure of it you have to see it live, however. It is here untill May, so look out for it advertised in other art galleries after that. 
http://www.ysp.co.uk/exhibitions/jem-finer-still

Out into the fresh air again, this is the Archway Lodge near the main entrance. There is no vehicle access through here, except for agricultural vehicles. Parking for staff is through the main entrance and round the back.  
The walk towards the main auditorium and shopping centre/cafe is over this iron footpath, which has thousands of names cut into the metal. I guess they must be sponsors as the park is a registered charity.
This current exhibition is by Donna Wilson, entitled Endangered Species. If you google her name she makes loads of stuff for the home in her quirky designs. Here we have a world of knitted trees and curiosities.
Back outside again and here are just a few of the many exhibits you see as you walk around the park. 
Jonathan Borofsky is the artist who created Molecule Man.
I like the way these clay pipes have been assembled to create an interesting feature alongside the path.
It's lunch time, I'm off for a bite to eat, plenty to go at in my kitchen. Catch you later.

25 comments:

  1. What a lovely experience MQ - too far for me I'm afraid, but looking forward to the next lot of pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was very enjoyable. Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, did you see the hostel you stayed at in derbyshire on Superscrimper. I reckon they go the idea from reading your blog. Taught the young couple that you can have fun on a budge

    Brilliant blog as always

    Midlands annie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Annie, what a coincidence, I am just watching SS now. The couple have been told they need to cut their spending on nights away, and I am shouting at the screen, Hartington Youth Hostel I'll keep watching while I eat my lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dammit. Just left a comment on your other blog.... not realising it was posted in 09 (?).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Annie, Yes I do believe that Super Scrimpers have borrowed my idea with the Youth Hostel. I know they read my blog as that's why they contacted me in the first place. Nice to know I have been have been of assistance. By the way, I stayed in the room next to Bonnie Prince Charlie's room. But why didn't they eat in the hostel, it would have been a lot cheaper, and nicer food. They didn't get the room as cheap as I did, £8 per night. So I won that challenge, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's alright Cro, I've been over there and read it. Thank you. I'm leaving that blog there in case I want to play with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous place, and it's free!!
    Ilona, you are a bit of a computer whizz....I can't post because on the new post page...it is stuck in HTML...there is a circle revolving in the middle of the page as though a picture is loading,and I can't get the page to COMPOSE. I have no control over the page. Have you seen this before?
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jane, I have had photo's that take up to three attempts to load. I click Cancel while the wheel is whizzing round, that gets rid of it, then try again. Not been stuck in html mode though. Try saving as draft then going back into it again through edit post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for this post Ilona! It's great to see a bit more of the park through your photos. I'm glad you mentioned the parking, like you, if I can find a free space I'll take it as I don't mind a walk to save a few pennies! The Jem Finer exhibition sounds wonderful - I must make sure I get there while that is still on. I'm looking forward to part two :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ilona, no luck I'm afraid..several other people have complained so hopefully Blogger will fix it.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha we always park outside too, £5 for parking !!! The names on the walkway are dedications. Basically when it was made, you could have the name of a loved on or your own (I think Michael Parkinson might be on there) for a certain amount of money. I thought about doing it for my lovely Dad as a memorial, but my Mum didn't want anyone to walk on his name !!
      Twiggy x

      Delete
  12. Ilona. I have been reading your blog now for many weeks,and wanted to say how informative I think it is. An inspiration to me as a new blogger. Thanks Abigailx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jane, I have just put a link into your comment box about your pronlem. Check it out.

    http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/blogger/thread?tid=1b8436a256f82049&hl=en

    Hi Abigail, how nice to hear from you. I'll take a look at your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ilona, thank you SO much for that!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a fabulous park, I particulary like the knitted trees. Going now to look upo donna Wilson.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been thinking of having a blog of my own, but all these problems are putting me off ! I'm techie wizzkid !

    ReplyDelete
  17. that should read 'I'm NO techie wizzkid'- I rest my case ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, that place looks ace! Loving the weird trees! The film sounds really interesting too, kind of a peaceful flash through time!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the film idea.Nice place you visited.

    I cannot post pictures due to the little wheel that just quit spinning. I have tried dozens of times in the last week, often a dozen on one picture. What did you say the problem is?

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great visit, thanks for downloading all those fab pics. I wish I had seen the woodland "film" I would have loved that too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely pictures, I would loved to have seen that show.


    I watched Super Scrimpers this afternoon before rushing for my train to Manchester.On the way back, called at Asda and bought 4 loaves, 2 packs ciabatta, 3 packs sprouts, some bananas, a large bag of apples and something else for £1.25. Then spoiled it by buying an insulated lunch bag for my friend who liked the one I have. I didnt look for much more as I've got stuff in already and can only use so much.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Crafty devils pinching your ideas. You should be on commission ha ha. I wondered also why they did not eat in.

    You should ask them to make you a consultant for money saving ideas. At present they are getting their ideas for free.

    Midlands Annie

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's been great looking round the park with you, looking forward to part two.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.