Tuesday 29 July 2014

Drinka pinta milka day

I was reading an article this morning about how large numbers of people are switching from cows milk to non dairy milk alternatives. Apparently one in five households choose to buy plant based products such as soya, rice, oat, almond, or coconut milk, as a lifestyle choice or for medical reasons. Here is the full article.
I buy soya milk for my cereals, I quite like the taste of it. I mentioned that Tesco have put theirs up from 59p to 75p and now I don't buy it, but Aldi has something similar, for 59p so that will do. 
I quite like the idea of  almond milk but it is so expensive, so what about a cheaper alternative. I goooglied how to make milk from oats, and had a go at making some. It is so simple.
I soaked eight dessertspoons of oats in a jug of water for seven hours. You don't need to leave it that long, three or four hours will do, or you can soak it overnight. It will separate but that doesn't matter.   
Then I transferred it to the blender jug, and zapped it for a couple of minutes. I did a taste test, not too bad, tasted of cold porridge as you would expect. I had six strawberries left so I added those and zapped again. Hmmm, yes, acceptable, would have been better with more strawberries. I then added a teaspoon of honey and zapped again. It can be strained through a muslin cloth, but I didn't bother, the blender has broken it all up.

Yes, much better, like a smoothie. I've put it in the fridge and will pour it on my bran flakes in the morning. I think I could get a taste for this. Porridge oats are 75p for a big 1kg bag, so lots of 'milk' could be made with that, at a very cheap price. And it's got to be good for you, with no additives. The only concerns I have is that a carton of soya milk has added calcium, and vitamins B2, D, and B12, so I would have to look elsewhere for those.

I think there could be scope here for lots of different flavours, maybe Jane will come along and suggest what else could be added to make it tasty. Or if anyone else has some ideas. They've got to be affordable though. No point in bumping up the cost when the idea is to make a healthy alternative at a cheaper price.



And what did I have for my dinner tonight? Here it is, before steaming. From the garden, potatoes, courgettes, runner beans, broad beans, and a couple of carrots from a bag of Value. 
On the top I grated some cheese. I bought this one from the Cash and Carry. Good price I thought for £1, and it isn't out of date till the end of next month. It is ever so tasty. That's all you need for a meal.

I've been sewing most of the day, the picture is coming along nicely. Sorry I can't show you another progress photo, someone said I am such a tease. Maybe it's not fair of me to drag it out over a long period of time, posting little snippets, maybe it's better I wait until it's finished and post the whole thing. It's looking really good though, ha ha.

I see a new follower has snuck in, welcome to Tightwad Towers, or the Mad House if you like. I hope you enjoy yourself here.
That's all for now. Toodle pip.

27 comments:

  1. We tend towards oat or nut milk. You are right though it can be very expensive so I often get a spoonful of peanut butter add water and blend. It works out well for us. Great topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I`ve made the oat milk before, too. It`s great for smoothies and milk shakes. Add some banana or gapes to make a smoothie. I also like it mixed with a dessert spoon of cocoa to make a chocolate shake. Never tried it on other celerals yet, but might give this a go over my cornflakes or even over shredded wheats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blackberries would work in your milk and free at the mo'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes phyllis, good idea, I am eating them straight from the hedgerows as I walk.

      Delete
  4. I have cows milk in my tea (but I'm fussy, it has to be organic semi skimmed!) but I actually hate milk, if I have cereal, I have to have soya milk on it. The oat milk sounds interesting, I'd never have thought of making it myself so thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How big is the container of soy milk that you buy for 59p? I'm trying to figure a comparison to prices in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Barbara. The carton size is 1 Ltr.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. I sometimes buy 1.89 liters (1/2 gallon U.S.) for $1.48 British pounds ($2.50 U.S.). If I am very lucky I might have $1 coupon that reduces it to $1.50 U.S. (.89 British pounds). This is for soy milk. I almost never see almond milk on sale. Great idea to make your own with oatmeal.

      Delete
    3. Barbara, I`m not sure if you have an Aldi supermarket near you. They sell almond milk. You could possibly get it from health food stores, too.

      Delete
    4. Yes, I do have an Aldi and I buy most of my produce there. I have never looked for soy or almond milk there but I will on my next shopping trip. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. From Margie in Toronto - What about a few drops of Vanilla - some of the soy milks use it so that might be nice. I would also try some instant coffee granules.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Ilona. I'll look into making oat milk, as I have a lot of oats! I wonder if one could cook with it? Your veggies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never heard of oat milk before...interesting...may give it a try sometime. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a milk drinker, either. I do have real cream on cereal and use milk in cooking, but am not likely to drink a glass of milk unless I'm eating a bowl of chili. It does help to put some chocolate in the milk for flavoring, or maybe to make a smoothie with some added fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Due to the estrogen enhancing compunds in cow's and soya milk I use almond and coconut milks instead.I try to do without dairy.The oat milk recipe is something I will try. We pay $3.99 plus for the almond and coconut and though I try to buy only when reduced it is nice to have the oat as an alternative rather than buying more of the others when we run out.Thank you.Yum,look at that veggie plate, looks good.So, re: the comments about the unemployed and the pensioners and vulnerable people and their circumstances and lack of food and money and gulag type living conditions, and finding that disturbing.Are there not food banks,government health care provisions and other such services that the working and unworking poor can access in your country?Do they not have family, friends, neighbours, community, churches and community care access?Isolation and depression and lack of information about services,funds, transportation and mobility and health problems can delay and sometimes prevent any change for the better.I guess we could all pay more attention to those around us and really see them..contentious subject,enough said,regards, Destemona.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought of making my own veggie milk before, but I was thinking almond milk, with almonds on offer from aldi? We can't have cow's, it gives my boyfriend eczema around the eyes and it gives cronic otitis to me. Shame, I love the taste! We are fine with cream, yogurt and cheese.
    I wouldn't worry about missing those sintetic vitamins dear, seriously! I highly doubt they do any Good for you. Some homegrown veggies give you so much more vitamins, some dried fruit can compensate..you have an exellent diet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now I need to search thriftstores for a big pitcher..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Ilona
    Have never a tried oat milk but I have tried all the others, some just taste like water to me although soy isn't bad once you get used to it.
    Tom thinks your plate of veg looks lovely.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. We buy soy and almond milk,both the same price at $3.99 for 1.89L. I don't make my own because of the vitamin additions in the bought milks. I'd add maple syrup (it's cheap here) or cinnamon...or nutmeg.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Diy oat milk is gr8 & perfect for a warming hot chocolate in winter! X

    ReplyDelete
  16. Powdered milk can be very economical as well

    ReplyDelete
  17. We only use milk in tea and for baking. Switched a couple of years ago to Powdered milk and absolutely love it! We just make it up 1/2 cup at a time and never have to worry about it going off or having to run out for milk when we return from a trip. I wish we had thought of this decades ago. We do eat oatmeal at breakfast every day but prepare the quick cook oats with boiling water. JanF

    ReplyDelete
  18. Maybe this is a bit sad, but I rather look forward to seeing how your picture is developing! Sometimes it's good to have to wait for something! Linda J

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great idea, I'll try it, thanks. Same veggies for us today...you can't beat fresh runner beans - I love summer!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm going to try making oat milk soon! That sounds like a great idea :)
    These days I actually buy milk regularly after not doing so for years, because I've been making kefir. Storebought organic kefir used to be a rare treat; now I drink it almost every day! Most mornings I slice a banana into a blending jug, add a splash of whatever organic juice was on sale the last time I went shopping (mango is my favorite, but I've had lots of variety!), zap it with the stick blender, then fill the jug the rest of the way with plain kefir, and zap again. This has been one of those simple, easy, inexpensive things that makes a BIG difference in my daily diet.

    ReplyDelete
  21. As a vegan I have been drinking non dairy milk for years. There are all types and most taste ok on cereal etc. Never been one for milkshake or drinking it by the glass though, then again I didn't with dairy before I gave it up!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hmmm.... I wonder if cats can drink it

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.