Friday 29 January 2016

Are you still there?

Just a quickie regarding loss of blog followers.
Elaine pointed me in the direction of this blog. Thank you Elaine.
Pleasure in Stitching
Radka has this notice on her blog, which sheds some light on the loss of followers thing. I must say I am still a bit confused, but if any of you notice that your name has disappeared from my list, it might explain what to do if you want to reinstate yourself.

I don't take the number of followers I have as an indication of how popular my blog is, it is open to anyone who wants to read it. It is a bit annoying that my followers have shrunk by 50, but if you are still visiting, I can put up with that. I am still getting anonymous comments, so it makes little difference to me whether people sign up to join or not. I think if you want notifications of when a new post is added, you might have to join something, but as I post most days, you only have to pop in when you feel like it.
Hope this helps, Thank you Radka.

Blogger has made some big changes to
 how we follow blogs
so read on to see
if these new rules will affect you!

We announced the retirement of Google Friend Connect for all non-Blogger sites. We made an exception for Blogger to give readers an easy way to follow blogs using a variety of accounts. Yet over time, we’ve seen that most people sign into Friend Connect with a Google Account. So, in an effort to streamline, in the next few weeks we’ll be making some changes that will eventually require readers to have a Google Account to sign into Friend Connect and follow blogs.

As part of the plan starting the week of Jan.11th, 2016 we’ll remove the ability for people with Twitter, Yahoo, Orkut or other OpenId providers to sign in to Google Friend Connect and follow blogs. At the same time, we’ll remove non-Google Account profiles so you may see a decrease in your blog follower count.

We encourage you to tell affected readers (perhaps via a blog post), that if they use a non-Google account to follow your blog, they need to sign up for a Google Account, and re-follow your blog. With a Google Account, they’ll get blogs added to their Reading List, making it easier for them to see the latest posts and activity of the blogs they follow.

We know how important followers are to all bloggers, but we believe this change will improve the experience for both you and your readers.

23 comments:

  1. I have lost a number of followers too, I wondered why,, you are still coming up on my reader,,

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is quite a radical move for followers who don`t use Google accounts. I hope that lots of your followers can adapt to the new rules.

    Thank you for bringing this to everyone`s attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will still be follow your very entertaining blog but I will not sign up with Google and their bully boy tactics. I hope Google lose business. These big corparations think they rule the world, I use duckduckgo as a search engine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I'd upset somebody with a careless comment.... thanks for this - it explains why my blog followers are leaking away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't lost any followers at this point, but my blog is fairly new. That might be the situation with those of you who have been online bloggers for a long time. Actually my reader count is up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still seem to be able to see your blog so I hope I'm still a follower :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too can see your blog love reading your day to day life experiences (Heather)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,again.Oh,oh.I've never signed up.Have not had accounts with Google,Facebook etc. either...that's because I'm social media challenged,haha.I loyally read your blog though even though am not" officially" a follower.It's one of my quirks :-)Have a good one D.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I havent commented before but love your blog. I am in Vermont, USA I check every day for your post. Have a wonderful day, Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that you are famous and need to go into hiding to stop being hounded by the press :-) I wonder if you fancy a knitting project. I have just learned about twiddlemuffs (google it like I did) Get those knitting needles out and make a start.... tonight.... no....do it now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just signed in and also following by email. All the best to you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! I follow your blog by e-mail. I always enjoy reading about your days and life and all the fun things you do. I am in the state of Ohio in the USA.

    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for stopping by :-); so far I have lost only 3 followers, lets hope it will not get any worse!
    Have fun,
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi Ilona, I just pop by nearly every day to have a look see. I don't think I was on any of your lists but I love reading your bog. you are a lovely lady - very down to earth.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've lost follows as well. Ho hum! I don't expect that it will be as easy for people to follow anymore. I'm not exactly a Luddite when it comes to technology but I find Google sign on clunky and confusing. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I follow you by e-mail and so far that has not been affected. I have not signed up because I don't have a Google account and don't really want to add another email account. I don't do Facebook or Twitter either.
    I am Joan from the Detroit area. I read and enjoy your posts every day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't think I am officially a "follower", but I read your blog every day, I saw you on TV, which was a big thrill for me, and you've even sent me personal emails in the past when I've needed advice. I'll carry on just reading every day if that's ok with you x

    ReplyDelete
  18. So annoying I don't want a Google account. Glad I can post on here using the name /URL thing as I can't on other blogs I read which is frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good to know why the numbers are fluctuating so dramatically. Thanks Ilona and Radka.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm wondering if I'm one of the followers you lost as I originally signed up with Google Connect years ago. Anyway I think I'm back as a follower. x

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wonder if you've ever been abroad. Don't tell me... you don't have a passport coz that costs money !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. I have had a passport for the past 40 odd years. I've been to Moscow, Germany, Spain, Majorca, Italy, the USA New York, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Orlando, Toronto, and other places. I've been on Roller Coaster holidays to the USA, 17 theme parks in 15 days around Pennsylvania and Ohio. I've been up the CN Tower, seen Niagra Falls, up the Empire State Building, flown in a helicopter from Las Vegas to the Grand canyon, been up the Stratosphere Tower, been in all the big hotels in Vegas, done all the Disney Parks at Orlando, been through Checkpoint Charlie to the Eastern side of Germany, and lived in Majorca for two months.

      My passport ran out a year ago, I probably won't renew it as I don't intend to fly again.

      Delete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.