Friday 29 January 2016

Get it down you, it's good for you.

Hello. Life is back to normal at Tightwad Towers. What a windy day, must be all those sprouts, I've just eaten the last portion of sprout stew. Nothing is wasted here, even though my meals sometimes don't look very appealing, ha ha. Just shut up and get it down you my mum used to say, when I turned my nose up at anything she dished up. I was forced to eat food that I didn't like, it was eat that, there isn't anything else. I was once bundled into the coal shed with my dinner and had to sit in the dark and eat it, because I had been a bit cheeky. 
I've made a start on tidying my fabric stash today. this is as far as I've got. I am ready to start a new project, and I thought if I go through everything the colours might inspire me with some ideas. 
I cheated a bit with my three mile walk this afternoon. I did the distance alright, but I split it into two, and stopped off at my friend Heathers house, she had invited me for coffee and cake. We are nearly at the end of the month, so don't forget, if you are in the Walking Group please send in your miles on Monday so the page can be updated. I am getting excited to see how you have all been doing. I was hoping to get to 100 for January, but I am only on 81 now with two days left so I won't make it.  I see Vicki is ahead of me, she is on 112, well done. Don't forget, February is a short month. I have a walk planned with my buddies on the 12th, so that will give me a boost.

My hair needs cutting, it's getting on my nerves. When it gets to a certain length, hanging around my face, it irritates me. I thought I might hold off cutting it until the weather gets a bit warmer, but I can see me getting fed up of brushing it aside, and make an appointment at the hairdressers. I'm sure she will be able to fit me in. Two mirrors hanging on opposite facing doors and a pair of scissors in my right hand should do the job. Handy that the salon is on my back door step.

Good news from the vet. Heidi had another blood test yesterday and Marian the vet left me a voice mail saying her blood count is normal, no treatment is needed, and to bring her for weighing in four weeks. Oh heck, I've just remembered, I should have rung to confirm I got that message. My brain has been overloaded, not surprising I forget things.

I'm going to put off food shopping for a week, I have plenty in the freezer. I darn't show my face at Tesco now, probably find a massive scrum going on, ha ha. I'll give it a couple of weeks until the hullabaloo dies down.

I've just paid my car insurance, it has gone up a bit from a year ago, but apparently everyone's has because of a new tax the government introduced in November. I remember reading about that. I was speaking to my broker on the phone and mentioned that I am with the RAC, she asked me how much I pay for it. I told her about £75 ish for roadside recovery and get me home if it can't be fixed. She surprised me by saying I could get it through them for £45. The policy I have with the RAC also covers me for any car I am traveling in as a passenger as well. It turns out that there is a policy that insures my car and not me, but the RAC doesn't offer that, and the broker does. So in April when it comes up for renewal I shall be on the phone to the RAC and will cancel unless they give me the policy with the lower price.

I caught up with Call the Midwife on the iplayer tonight. I love that programme. I also look forward to Mr Selfridge, Jeremy Piven is drop dead gorgeous. Pity it's the last series, I think his empire is about to come crashing down around him.

Think that's all the news. There might be something coming out in the papers tomorrow, or could be Sunday.  It should be the last time you see my mush staring at you as you turn the page. Thanks for popping in. Catch ya soon. Have a nice weekend.
Toodle pip.  

34 comments:

  1. Hello, have a good hair cut. I hope your doggie is ok. Well done on RAC membership. I hate sprouts I just about eat them once a year at Christmas so well done. lol. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Ilona;
    Our car insurance went up about 20.00 a year American. Our gas bill went down for this time last year. And, i noticed that for the one day a week that i work in the Winter, the federal tax went up 50cents, which means i get 10cents less in each check. It's hard to keep track of everything one needs to keep a home! I'm so happy the gas went down, though! It all helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Things go up and they go down. We have to keep our eye on things. If I have to pay more for something I look at how I can claw back that amount from something else I pay for. It's a juggling act.

      Delete
    2. Just stumbled upon your site - it' fabulous, well done. Such sensible advice and your tips are brilliant. I shall certainly keep on following your page. I eat a lot of yogurt and now make my own: buy a very small pot of natural yogurt, put a teaspoon of it into a saucepan, add a pint of milk and mix, bring to just below simmering point and pour into plastic box. Then place this in a warm place; airing cupboard is good, for 6-7 hours or overnight, then into fridge and voila! This mixture can then be used up to 9 or 10 times to start the batch again before buying a shop-bought natural yogurt. Saves pounds and tastes great.

      Delete
  3. Done good Ilona. Love the blog and I dont comment much but as no-one else has yet thought I would. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you jill. I moderate the comments, so if you don't see any they are in a queue and I check them in bundles. They are published in order of receiving them, so as you can see yours is the third comment in the space of eight minutes.

      Delete
  4. It's a headscarf and dark glasses for you my girl, when you next go to Tesco's. Ha Ha. I have been watching Call the Midwife on Iplayer too. Where do they borrow the new babies from ? That's what I'd like to know.Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered about the babies, maybe pinch bits of film from somewhere else.

      Delete
  5. We like seeing your mush, don't worry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to hear little Heidi is OK.
    I had my last hairdresser appointment in November last year. I remembered reading about your two door trick in an earlier post so had a little go and will be doing it myself from now on (another couple of hundred + a year you have saved me there Ilona). Just waiting now to see how the grey grows out???
    Very pretty stash of fabrics and well done on the car insurance.
    Have a lovely quiet week~end with the little ones after all the excitement of the past week. X
    X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good news about Heidi! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad Heidi is doing so well.
    Well great now you can save on your insurance, happy for you on that!
    You do have a beautiful fabric stash of color, and very neat. Mine tends to slide all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You'll have to say what your fave coffee is, if you don't like tea. My neighbour is a pensioner and likes Aldi coffee. What do you like drinking most days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried Aldi coffee. All the other budget coffees I have tried are awful so I stick to trusty old Nescafe. I have discovered Carte Noire which is a bit more expensive so I mix it with Nescafe, which is perfect for me. I only have one mug of coffee per day, occasionally two. The rest of the time I have dilute juice, very watery, with hot or cold water. I sometimes have a mug of chocolate in the evenings.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Ilona. I get Moccona in large jars when it's on sale, for instant coffee. I get what I like for home, on sale, as it's much cheaper than going to a cafe, in the end. I love your avocado price. Here in Australia they are $4.50 each, about two GBP. Luxury at the moment.

      Delete
    3. I bought some Carte Noire to try, 100g was $5 on sale, or 2.5 GBP. And I bought 2 more to try, 100g each. One day you'll have to let me buy you a jar, in appreciation for your blog. How can I do that? xx

      Delete
  10. I use the very same hair dressers, lol, ME !!!
    Those are two of our favorite shows as well,,
    I am so glad Heidi is doing well,

    ReplyDelete
  11. From Margie in Toronto - I've just been catching up on the last few days posts Ilona - congrats on all the publicity - what a great laugh!

    A lot of bloggers have posted about their numbers dropping and its all down to Google - not you - I'm surprised your numbers aren't through the roof after the last few days! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad that Heidi got a good report from the vet!

    It is nice that your fabric is out in the open where it can inspire you. Looking forward to seeing what you make for your next project.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your fabrics are very pretty...Don't have a car now but when I did the insurance was exorbitant. Good you can lower yours. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm putting off getting my hair cut too, deciding wether to grow it or not but I think the pro.'s for keeping it short outweigh the pro.'s for having it long or do they!!!!! What do you think Ilona? Heather W

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather. I don't like my hair too short, it doesn't suit me having a long square face. Too long doesn't look right either, like an afghan hound, ha ha. Medium suits me. Pro's of short hair, less time spent washing and drying. Cons not so easy to dress it up if going out and wanting to look nice. You have to have the right shape face for short hair. Longer hair can look lank and lifeless if not washed almost every day, split ends with extra brushing. Needs more faffing to keep it looking nice, high maintenance. Pro's more feminine styles for going out.

      Delete
    2. That's that then keep it short it is then! Seen as I don't go out anyway so no need to faff hahaha! Thanks Ilona xx Heather W

      Delete
  15. Hope you have a relaxing weekend IIona you deserve it and catch up a bit with your walking.
    I am lucky my daughter has been a hairdresser for nearly 40 years so has always looked after my hair even though she gave up the salon a few years ago she still does a little.
    Beautiful stash of fabrics you have I wish mine was as tidy as yours. Do you live anywhere near Skegness Ilona fir I am visiting there at the beginning of April.

    Enjoy your weekend, I am if to work in the charity shop this morning, wonder what goodies will come in, I am on the lookout for buckles and big buttons.
    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Hazel. I am not near Skegness, which is right over on the east coast, about 70 miles away. I am in the north of the county. I have an uncle and an aunt who are hairdressers, and my nephew also, he cut my hair once, but they are all 100 miles away, so too far to go for a haircut.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for replying IIona, pity it is so far I would have loved to met up. Enjoy your day whatever you are doing its raining here and gas I have a heavy cold will not be going to church. Hazel c uk

      Delete
  16. I have enjoyed seeing you on TV and in the papers, Ilona, and OH who works p/t at the same company you drove the trucks for is totally in awe of your driving skills. He would love to have a go but not do it for a living. Just relax a bit now after the media storm!
    The piles of fabric are lovely, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely neat and tidy stash of fabric. I wish mine was in such good order. Still, I have cut out a scrap quilt so that's some progress.
    Have a lovely relaxing weekend after the rushing around of last week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stay safe it that wind and keep your sunglasses on in Tesco's! Unlike you I do go to the hairdresser's for a hair cut, it is one of my life's little pleasures. I enjoy someone else washing and styling my hair and it's great to have a catch up with J who I have known for more than 30 years. I budget for it and I don't smoke or drink so it's my treat. I really must sort my stash of fabric and wool...you are making me feel guilty as to how tidy it looks. Rae x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Unlike Rae I hate having my hair done. I sit with my teeth clenched waiting for them to finish. "Them" being either my bessie friend or my niece. They cut my hair and I cook them a meal or do their mending. I'm afraid I've never been able to eat something because it is good for me and though I grow brussels (loved by my husband) I don't like them at all.
    Nice stash
    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  20. I make a chicken soup from a boiled carcass and tiny bits of meat from it and any left over veggies. I have never got the hang of making it look good but it tastes delicious and is very filling. Thankfully my daughter isn't too fussy. Your fabric stash looks fantastic. Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've made a chicken soup from the bird - put it in a pot (whole) with virtually all of the meat off and water and veggies and cook up. More meat flakes off (which I put in on a plate). I hoike out the carcase and leave that aside too. The carcase can be flung in some water again and more bone broth is gathered. Not bad for a vegetarian! Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Ilona, Glad to hear that Heidi is doing well. I have no choice but to go to a salon for a haircut. I have thick (really thick) curly hair and it's impossible to cut by myself. I tried it once and made a mess of it. Had to go to the salon to get it fixed. Ha ha! Enjoy your weekend. Kearnygirl

    ReplyDelete
  23. I once worked for a woman who had short, dark, rather curyly hair. She used a plastic credit card, and put that against hunks of her hair and cut all her hair that length. Difficult to describe without demonstrating! And her hair always looked great, too, not hacked about at all.
    I'd not have put you down as a Mr Selfridge (or Jeremy Piven) fan at all, but yes, drop dead gorgeous! I will really miss that prog. Never watched Call the Midwife, not my thing at all. Had two babies, don't want to watch more being born or the sob stories that are bound to go with them, because without sob stories there'd be no stories!
    At least putting you in the coal hole to eat your meal when you were cheeky didn't cure you of cheekiness I'm very glad to say!!!
    We were with the AA for roadside recovery, etc. When it went up 100% I phoned them up and told them they would lose our business unless they could do better. They reduced it to within a few pounds of the previous fee - they were obviously trying it on. I don't mind a bit of a price rise, but almost 100% was ridiculous.
    Actually, I like having my hair done and pay a lot of money for the fun of it. Besides, my hairdresser makes the best coffee around. She bought an Italian coffee machine for the salon she was about to open. She said that if the council didn't permit a change of business (it had been a bookshop previously) she'd just open a café instead, she had the coffee machine! YOu can have anything you like from an espresso to a flat white. Total yum. But it's an expensive way of getting a decent cup of coffee, I admit ...
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.