Sunday 19 January 2020

Drawing with thread - workshop with Sue Stone

It was a sunshiny day yesterday and I was sat indoors at the 20 21 Arts Centre attending a workshop. Sue Stone who I have mentioned before, was the teacher, and 15 of us followed her instructions. Choose a picture, transfer the outline onto tracing paper, then baste it onto two layers of fabric. Then with a small backstitch transfer the image onto the fabric, stitching through the paper. When this is done, remove the paper by carefully picking it off taking care not to disturb the stitches. 
Everybody beavering away whilst chatting to their neighbours.

Sue provided thread and fabric for those who hadn't brought their own.

Some of Sue's work on display for reference.

This is what I ended up with at the finish of the session. I have added a bit more today and will continue to do so when I have a spare hour or two. I am doing raw edge applique for the hair and dress.

This is a little bit out of my comfort zone, but good to try something new. The stitches are so tiny, I'm not used to working with a single strand of embroidery thread. Progress is slow, lots of stitches to cover a small area. If I did some more of this I would need to add more colour, this is too plain for me. It's like drawing with a pencil, and I am no good at that.

Thankfully it's a sunny day today, so I am off out. Toodle pip.  ilona

5 comments:

  1. Hi Ilona x what happened to those felt curls you had a few days ago? Just curious if you've had any inspiration for them ? !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still got the spirals. I was going to add them to the felt landscape I am doing at the moment, but it wouldn't look right. I need to think of another idea for them. Maybe something like the button heart.

      Delete
  2. Drawing with thread, never heard of it, looks interesting, looking forward to seeing it finished, Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly the term drawing with thread is about drawing a picture with free motion machine stitching, but it can be done by hand with tiny stitches.

      Delete
  3. Yes, a heart with spirals would look good

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.