Tuesday 5 May 2020

Smashing the cubes

I finished a jar of seasoning which I got cheaply from the Cash and Carry. It lasted a long time as I only use small amounts in my cooking. Sadly they didn't have any left when I went to buy some more, shame, I liked that one. So I picked up a couple of boxes of veggie oxo cubes, they were two for £1, and 18 cubes in a box. That will be fine. 
After making a few meals and having to scrape a small amount from a cube because I don't want to add a whole cube, I was getting a bit fed up with the faff. An idea. Why not grind them all up then the granules will be ready to use. 
That's one box done, I'll do the other one when I need more. Much easier to use, out of a plastic tub with a tight fitting lid. Good idea. 
My walk this afternoon took me past the wood. The wild garlic is at it's best right now, the ground is covered, and with the sun shining through the trees it looked magical. A real treat to see. 

It won't be long before I'm off to bed, so I'll say tatty byes, and see ya tomorrow. ilona 

12 comments:

  1. Great idea with the cubes,it will make them go alot further as well.I do this with value dried stuffing mix.Hubby says that he doesnt like stuffing..ooohhh matron lol...but he doesnt realise he is eating the finely ground mix every day with his veg!.I also put it in his mince when doing his cottage pie...,with porridge oats...it makes the mince go alot further as well.The wild garlic looks great.Years ago,a man used to come round where I live selling this from the back of his car.Hope every one is good here,we have all got through another day!!,Keep smiling!,xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 'wood' looks gorgeous. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wood looks lovely and cool, so beautiful.
    Briont
    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea. I don't have a mortar and pestle but I have a good solid rolling pin to smash 'em up with :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I had given my mortar and pestle away because I no longer use it now I have a mini Kenwood chopper. Found it in a cupboard. You can put them in a plastic bag and smash them up. Much easier than cutting a cube in half if you don't want to use a whole one.

      Delete
  5. Good idea, making seasoning go further. You can cook and eat that wild garlic too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a good idea - Oxo cubes are one of the items that got snapped up really quickly over here and it has been hit or miss finding them - luckily I already had a good supply of different sorts on hand as they are always useful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just saw a recipe for wild garlic soup made with the leaves, potatoes and veggie stock. A good use for your cubes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds delishus, I might try that.

      Delete
  8. Wild garlic! I've never seen any before. I've tried to grow my own from cloves I planted but it never works out, it either never shoots or it shoots and I get all excited then it dies or gets eaten by whatever bugs are there at the time. Now I just buy jars of crushed garlic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually buy garlic granules, or garlic paste in a tube.

      Delete
  9. I am always wild with envy when I see a picture from Britain of an open woodland filled with flowers. Our woods are lovely here in New England, but they are not open, flowery glades.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.