Saturday 1 January 2022

New Years Eve, a day out in Bridlington.

Yes, I did go to Bridlington yesterday. The weather was a bit breezy but it was warm. I saw a Park and Ride on the map on the south side of the town. That will do nicely I thought. When I got closer they had plastered a big CLOSED notice on the road sign. That's a pain, so I carried on towards the Town Centre. I came up to a queue of traffic at a junction. I don't like queue's of any kind, so I did a 'u turn' and went back the way I came, then turning into a residential street. I dropped lucky on a quiet road so parked there. It was ten minutes walk to the Promenade Sea Front. 
Quite a lot of people about. There was almost as many dogs as people. It was lovely to se them chasing about on the beach. 

I went down the steps to walk on the beach. These are the rules. 

The sun was trying to make an appearance, not very successfully. 

Outdoor showers if you want to wash the sand off before you put your clothes on. I assume these are mainly used when the weather is warm. 
Rows of Beach Huts. Apart from these attractive blue huts, the rest of them looked rather dull. Why no bright colours? 

The door was open on one of these, so I stopped to chat to the couple who were sitting outside, while they sipped their hot coffee. They live five miles away and come down here on their bicycles. 

These are really ugly. They look like army barracks. What a difference a lick of paint would make with some bright colours. 

I like the little white fence dividers here. 

I stopped to talk to a woman on the beach, I thought she was litter picking. She showed me what she had in her bags. I was amazed when she said she comes down here to pick coal. How very frugal is that. Free coal to be found on the beach. 
I climbed up some steps to walk back towards the town on a higher level, and spotted the coal picking woman. 

Then the sun came out. There are plenty of benches to choose from should you wish to sit down. 

These very posh houses are in prime position overlooking the sea. Most of them have balconies to sit outside on. How the other half live eh!

I've got a few more pics but I'll make another post with them. In the meantime I made this video just as it was starting to get dark and I set off walking back to the car. 

Thanks to those who have checked in with their miles. There is still time to add yours if you haven't yet done so. We'll catch up soon. Toodle pip.   ilona

8 comments:

  1. Just a beautiful place. Looked and sounded very busy. Looked like lots to do and see. I found the lady picking up coal amazing! Does she use it for her home? Living here in West Virginia US That was the main source of income, coal mining. We have many relatives in past generations mine coal. It’s ex excellent heat. Thank for the lovely tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she uses it in her home. As it has been washed about in the sea for a long time, the surface of it is smooth. More like nuggets than rough lumps.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I knew there was coal on the beach at Whitby, only because of the Whitby jet gemstone that can be found on the beach, with lots of coal, but never thought it would be as far south as Bridlington.
    We have had many happy holidays on the Yorkshire coast, I recognised Bridlington immediately, my long departed gran used to go every year.

    I'm also a big fan of staithes, well worth a car camp there ๐Ÿ™‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently it is quite common further north, to find it on the beach. See the links I put on below.

      Delete
  3. Where does the coal come from and how does it get on the beach?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked her that. She said ships have gone down in the past and the coal gets washed ashore. When you think about it almost everything lost at sea eventually appears on land.

      I googlied it and found this. some interesting explanations.
      https://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/threads/coal-on-the-beach.49824/

      there are big ships (65,000 toners) go in and out of Portbury Docks with coal There lots of coal at portbury it's then loaded on to trains for power station up north
      Also coal comes into Newport dock and Cardiff docks as well
      Ships will have to wash out if there picking up another cargo

      Another useful link.
      https://co-curate.ncl.ac.uk/sea-coaling/

      And another. Googlie is your friend.
      https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2309040/The-twilight-seacoaling-Pictures-capture-dying-industry-men-scrape-coal-washed-sea.html

      Delete
    2. Interesting....thank you.....sounds like a wonderful frugal hack.

      Delete
  4. That's GREAT ilona ❤ Bridlington is very nice .glad you enjoyed your outing.
    Can you still burn coal as there's laws about it don't no why as it kept Britain going before gas fire's ๐Ÿ”ฅanc central heating and is better for your health than central heating is .. how great she still uses coal.. I no some folk use fire logs as I seen lot's in a gentleman's garden in a shed,,

    Best Wishes Levi x

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.