Thursday 26 January 2023

Where to next.

It's time I was gathering a few ideas for the trips I hope to take in the spring and summer. I take my map books to bed for a few minutes perusal before I nod off. The next step is to put the area I am interested in visiting into the yooootooob search engine, and see what videos are thrown up from people who have been there. 
I keep a notebook handy to jot down any places that I think might be worth checking out. Then look for web sites to find out more about a particular attraction which has caught my eye. This is how I worked out a route for my South Coast holiday, which turned out to be super exciting. I worked my way through Devon and Cornwall, ending with a flight from Lands End to the Isles of Scilly. The icing on the cake. 
September 2021 saw me in the Outer Hebrides, now that was a smashing holiday. Before that I went to North Wales and Anglesey. This year I might go to south Wales. 
When I started lorry driving This area was a regular route for me. Every Monday night would see me at Cardiff Lorry Park. Next day I would head off to Swansea and onward to Llanelli, taking in the valleys around Merthyr Tydfil and Pontypridd. I remember having a night out at Bridgend. I parked the trailer at the BRS depot and went to a pub in the tractor unit. I had a meal, and had a good night with a German driver who was also there for the night. I have to say I couldn't keep up with his drinking. 😜Boy was he knocking them back. It was a good laugh though. 
So, the research is on to plan some trips out. In the past people have asked me about my safety, travelling alone. My reply has always been I am careful, taking note of my surroundings, and being aware of anything that doesn't seem quite right. I am a fairly confident traveller and like to think I can take care of myself. 
Now I am going to make a confession. I am becoming a little bit jittery about some areas where there seems to be an increase in the amount of people who have come here from other parts of the world. There doesn't appear to be enough cross channel ferries to cope with the large numbers wishing to come. Smaller vessels are being sent to bring them in. Only yesterday it was reported that around 500 of these invited guests arrived from France, courtesy of the Border Force taxi service. I call them invited guests because it's obvious to me that's exactly what they are. 
There does seem to be rather a lot of them, and have you noticed that most of them are men of a certain age. They are being spread far and wide throughout the country. I have to admit, as confident as I am, I feel rather intimidated by them hanging around in groups. It's just the sheer volume which is quiet worrying. Hotels are filling up at an alarming rate, seaside resorts, town centres, and some big hotels in rural areas. 
I hope to keep on exploring parts of Britain that I am not familiar with. As I have mentioned many times, I love big open spaces. I love fields, canals, rivers, hills, mountains, villages, and the coast. Let's hope they don't become too overcrowded while I am still able to travel around. 
Thanks for popping in. We'll catch up soon. Toodle pip.   ilona

14 comments:

  1. Dear Ilona I really love to see all your travel plans for visits to places you want to explore.im glad you are a bit cautious and carefull it is a great shame we have to be like that .I think you have always looked after yourself well and will continue that way whenever I travel alone which I like to do if something isn't feeling right I make a speedy exit.looking forward to seeing where you go to next😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily I have not encountered any difficulties with random strangers in the past, but I feel it would be better not to be over confident.

      Delete
  2. From my experience some time ago I would suggest the north coast of Sutherland (maybe called something different now), places like Cape Wrath, Smoo Cave. Big skies and endless evening light in summer with being so far north. I have also spent time camping on Dartmoor around Yes Tor and High Willays, and around Thetford in Norfolk - plenty of history there with Neolithic flint mines (and the assault course that featured in Dad's Army - i've done that one in my youth).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those good suggestions. I hope I can fit in a trip up north sometimes, out of midge season of course.

      Delete
  3. You are right to be cautious of unknown people just arriving here we have no knowledge of there background at all I have a friend who used to work in probation type job there retired now but they said once that when getting to know some people who come into the country that way who commit a crime here some admit they have done far far worse in there home country I think your sensible you'll be carefull but still enjoy your holidays as you have every right to do soxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some news items appearing where a person has committed violence against a vulnerable person, usually a female. The unusual name of the perpetrator is a giveaway.

      Delete
  4. Having lived in Wales for 35 years, I can recommend some lovely areas for walking. Carmarthen has fabulous sandy beaches, the Gower (t'other side of Swansea) has Rhossili beach, which is one of the top 10 best in the world. The Brecon Beacons offer some fantastic walking - you could climb Pen-y-Fan for starters - and the area I've moved to in Powys, offers lovely walks - the Elan Valley near Rhayader is just stunning. Wherever you go, enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that's really useful information. My friend says The Gower is where they go every year with the caravan.

      Delete
  5. P.S. When I mentioned beaches, they are for walking on - know you don't want to go and sunbathe! Rhossili Beach is nearly 3 miles long and there's a fab walk I did which went in a loop up across the headland above it. Plus, didn't mention the dozens of wonderful castles in Wales as I know history isn't your sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to do some of the Pembrokeshire coastal path. I like castles for the architecture, but I don't need to know the history of them. I just like looking.

      Delete
    2. Ah, you confused me by saying South Wales, Pembs is West Wales. Fabulous walking and scenery. Please do try to take a trip across to Skomer to see the Puffins (advise April/May/June) you are in for a day you will NEVER forget. They walk around literally at your feet!

      Delete
  6. Ilona I would not come anywhere near Ipswich, Suffolk as we seem to be filling hotels with as many diseased " Guests " as they can fit in. All paid for by the tax payer. Veronica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have ruled out most of the south east. Too many towns and cities to pass through.

      Delete
  7. From Julie C
    Fantastic choice Ilona. If you wished to break up the last section of your journey, you’d be welcome to stay here, about 30 minutes from either Severn bridge crossing. It would be a great way to say thank you for all your inspiration over the years. Julie C x I rarely check my google account, so if you wish to make contact, please use,- - - - - - - -

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.