Friday 31 May 2024

Very rude

 I had a phone call the other day. A very well spoken gentleman with a foreign accent, background noise of a call centre. I was very quickly alerted to the fact that it was another of those sales pitches that was coming down the line. I jump in with both feet and within the first few words I say, 'I don't need to speak to you, goodbye.' 

Within a couple of seconds the phone rang again. I picked it up and said, hello. The same man said why did you put the phone down. I replied, because you are selling something and I don't need anything. He said, no I'm not. 

That's the tactic they use. Pretend that they are your friend, a little bit of chatty small talk, like how are you today. I'm not falling for that, so I cut them off quickly. Then he said, 'well I don't want to talk to you today'. And he put the phone down on me. 

He rang me back just to tell me that. Ha ha. Silly bugger. I wonder how many people would listen to him reading from a script for any length of time. 

And before any of the woke mob say I am very rude to cut people off like that, they are only doing their job, piffle. I know selling is a hard job, I have done it, on the phone and face to face. Expect the 'no thanks, I don't want it', and move on.

A sales job is a bit like life really. Expect some knockbacks. Get up, move on, and you never know, you might hit the jackpot with the next one. 

By the way, saying 'no' gets easier the more often you say it.  

Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona 

11 comments:

  1. Yes, it is true. In my country there are less su ch kind calls. But I don't 'like when they call from bank and they offer me loans and other products. Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Banks in the UK should never cold call their customers.

      Delete
  2. I don’t get many of these calls but my step father does which really worries me. Several years ago my neighbour got scammed by someone phoning and insisting there was a problem with his broadband. He gave them the password to his computer and from there they were able to empty his bank account. The bank were completely unhelpful although he eventually recovered most of the money with the help of a solicitor. It’s one of the reasons I refuse to do internet banking and in this instance I’m happy to be seen as a luddite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to get them almost every day. Hence my brief reply to them. It is shocking that so many people are taken in by the scam.

      Delete
  3. I get those phone calls all the time.
    I’m rude and tell them “I know you’re a scammer so piss off” then I hang up . Never give anyone trying to sell something over the phone any personal details .
    Someone over the phone selling something , offering you a better deal or trying to persuade you to provide details
    is always going to be a scammer .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best to get rid of them as quickly as possible.

      Delete
  4. One word of warning even if it is the bank the only difference is I will phone back to the number on my bank card, if the bank is trying to contact you the info will be on the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always say "I'm not interested, thank you" and put the phone down when they start their spiel. I've never had one call back to say that they don't want to speak to me though! That's funnier than most of the 'comedy' now on tv!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always hang up in the split seconds between me answering the call and them noticing it (a light goes on for my number in their bank of call lights). It's great as you don't have to hear their voice.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.