Monday 12 August 2024

More exploring on Day 2.

Good morning. It is now Monday and this is the last post from my Burton upon Trent visit on Wednesday and Thursday last week. Breakfast at Albert Village. A convenient car park. 
Then on to Ticknall where I found the entrance to Calke Abbey and Park. There is a lot of renovation work going on here. At the back it is covered in scaffolding. The weather was a bit drizzly so not many people about. Not much to see except acres and acres of parkland. 
I went in the church which is near the house. A nice window caught my attention. 

I decided to walk to Staunton Harold Hall, there is a craft centre marked on the map. On the way there I noticed this skeleton tree. It is still drizzly so the photo looks a bit hazy. 
The  Ferrers Craft Centre is in and around a courtyard. It's all about arts and crafts. Check out their web site here. 
There are cafe's which people were crowding into, to get out of the drizzle. I sat outside on a bench under my umbrella to eat my sandwiches. 

Staunton Harold Hall is a big old rambling mansion. All around it there are signs saying no access, private. I asked a staff member about it. He said it is a family home that's why it is private. I wondered how big is the family that they need so many rooms. What about sharing it with people who haven't got a place to live. I looked into some of the windows. Empty rooms. 
The church next door to the hall is a National Trust property. Only open at certain times. Here is a web site for more information. 
Still drizzly so I went a walkabout. 

At this point I was fed up of the rain. As I was leaving to go back to my car I spotted the humungous tent. I asked a worker what it was for. He said it is for television people to hang out. They are filming a period drama there. Sadly not open to the public. 
I walked back to the car under my umbrella. Time to go home I thought. 
One more idea, why not stop at Ashby de la Zouch for a look around there. I drove into the town looking for a car park. The traffic was very busy. I was being cautious looking for a place to park. A young man appeared from nowhere behind me, his window wide open, and he started yelling abuse at me. I don't know why. At that point I thought, if that's the kind of people who live here, then I am out of it. I backtracked and headed for the A42 then onto the M1 and home. 
Ashby is not how I remembered it. It used to be a lovely quiet market town with one main street through it. I always thought it was a posh place with expensive houses. My short visit this time told me that it has grown beyond all recognition. For a Thursday afternoon it was very busy with cars and people. 
I like these two or three day jaunts. A break in the routine of daily life. Have a look at somewhere new, or go back to a favourite place I have visited previously. 
Now it's Monday morning, the start of a new week. The cats want feeding.
Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona

6 comments:

  1. Amazing, not only did you visit all my regular haunts, but you had breakfast in a village near mine !
    Where did you eat just out of curiosity?
    J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take my food and drink with me. I am sat outside my car eating porridge.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I read the post, commented, then watched the video later.
    Some years ago Staunton Harold belonged to the Sue Ryder Foundation. There was a tea room and a charity shop. The rooms are massive and the charity shop was spread out in one such room. You could walk round the grounds in which previous owners over the years had planted every tree imaginable from other countries as well as native species. The trees are obviously huge now and all the different leaf shapes and colours are beautiful in the autumn. In one spot there is at least one pet grave, possibly more, l can't recall, where there is an engraved headstone where a much loved pug belonging to the Lady is buried.
    Did you see the two stone tombs in the little room by the church?
    It's got a really interesting history and such a shame that it is now in the hands of a private owner. We've spent many happy days wandering round and enjoying the house and grounds, and the beautiful statues.
    J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ilona I am sure that the rooms would be shared if the persons who shared them were compatible with the family .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marlane. Yes, compatibility is important when people live close together.

      Delete

Comments will be published after my approval.