Tuesday 17 February 2009

Easy to make bag

I'm posting early today because I am excited about the bag I have just finished, and wanted to share it with you. It's made from a mans tie which I bought for 50p from a charity shop. I have cheated a bit, I can't claim it as my idea because I copied it from someone at a craft fair, she had several on her table for sale at £5.00 each. It was an experiment to see how easy it was to make, I don't intend to go into full scale production, though some people say I could sell them.

It's an evening bag, the tie is swirled round, a bit like a coil, pinned into place and stitched very carefully. The broad end is at the bottom and the narrow end is the handle. It was a bit floppy so I made a stiffener out of an old plastic tablecloth, the same shape as the tie, and threaded it through the middle. It has a button fastener, I left a small gap where I joined the tie to make the button hole, and there is a matching button to attach the handle to the bag, with a piece of chain added for decoration. I didn't cut the tie at all and it doesn't need a lining.

There is room for a small purse, keys, mobile phone, and a few essential small items that a girl might need on a night out.
Daily spend - nothing

2 comments:

  1. Wow! that's amazing, you would never guess it was made from a mans tie. I really like the embellishnents you've added, makes it more glitzy for an evening out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jane, I felt that as the tie is already patterned it only needed minimal decoration. I have a plain blue tie for the next one so I'll look for something different to brighten it up.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.