Wednesday 25 February 2009

Playing with plastic bags

I've been playing with plastic bags again, there must be something else you can do with them besides cutting them into strips and knitting them. A quick search on the internet, and it seems you can do something called 'fusion', with them.

Lay a bag flat cut off the bottom and handles, and turn it inside out if it has writing on it. Then fold it twice so that you have a piece that has eight layers. Get two pieces of paper, I used baking paper, and sandwich the plastic in between. Press down with a hot iron for a few seconds, this is the fusion bit, all eight layers are supposed to stick together. Hooray, it works.

I tried it with several bags, the plastic goes crinkly. Best not to have the iron on a high setting or the first layer shrivels up too quickly and the inside layers don't stick together. The Sainsbury's bag made a lovely textured orange piece, very interesting, now what can I make with it?

I made a square of plain white plastic, eight layers of a charity sack, and put some coloured stripes across it, to see how that would turn out, it looks quite arty. You could cut any shapes out of coloured plastic and make up pictures, or you could sew the pieces together to make bags. I am going to do a few more test pieces to see how mixing the colours turn out, then think what I could make out of them. I've got my friends collecting coloured plastic bags for me.

If you want to have a go at this yourself, see how to do it here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNziDXtm1SA&feature=related

Daily spend - nothing

1 comment:

  1. Very Clever! Mmmmmmm. Added to the list of things to do... one day! I liked the make up bag that she made on the video... you could do wash bags... mucky shoe bags... gym bags.... yes very clever. Thanks for posting the link Ilona.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.