Thursday 16 December 2010

Snapshots of the V & A museum

Still got a few more pics of London, think I'll stick a few in here, while it's still fresh in my mind. Another couple of weeks and I'll have forgotten all about it, the memory is fading fast, ha ha. The Victoria and Albert Museum. It is recognised as the worlds greatest museum of art and design, and it is free to get in, though some of the exhibitions ocassionally have an entrance fee, I avoid those.




This was a fascinating exhibit, musical instruments which look like they have been flattened by a steam roller. I am standing on an upper floor looking down over a circular balcony into the room below. The instruments are suspended from the ceiling with very fine wires, you can just about see them in the photo. The wires are all vertical, there are none stretched horizontally to support them. It must have taken ages to get them all at exactly the same height so they look like they are lying on a flat surface.

How do you fancy a chest of drawers like this? They are all different shapes and sizes, stacked loosely in no particular order, and held together by one strap around the whole lot. I like the higgledy piggledy mess.

This book shelf is a strange design, but very interesting, I am quite drawn to it because it challenges the norm. Who says you have to have books stacked neatly in rows anyway.

At the rear of the main building is a courtyard with gardens and a stone paved oval with water jets and fountains. It was opened in 2005 and named the John Madejski Gardens after he gave two million pounds to the V & A to build it. I am pleased I was still there as darkness fell, to get these photo's.



Beautiful.
Anyway, it looks like I am having Henry choc lab for the weekend. I hope he doesn't pull me over, we have still got a lot of compacted ice lying around, and with the threat of more snow, it looks like we are going to have some fun.
Toodle pip.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for showing these.
    I heard an interview on "Front Row" (BBC Radio 4) with the artist who created the "squashed band" and thought it might be worth a look.

    Artists, eh... what are they like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, really enjoyed the trip...vicariously. and I know your brain is fine from how sharp your posts are. Equally sure it thanks you for all the turmeric though!

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.