Wednesday 2 October 2019

Inspiration from a fridge

A year ago I was on holiday in Orkney, and found a small countertop fridge on a rubbish tip. Inside were two wire shelves. I'm having those I thought, I can do something with them, weaving perhaps. The first one was smaller than this, I wrapped it in coloured wool and added some bling to it. 
This one is 12.5 inches by 9 inches. I cut some t shirts into strips and wove it through the wire bars. 

Adding different shades of green wool, and orange French knots. It was difficult to push the needle through several thicknesses of fabric. I had to use a pair of small pliers.

There were a few loose ends of fabric, rather than stitch them to the back to hide them I decided to add more and make a fringe across the bottom.


The tree is made by cutting ten strands of wool, then starting in the middle, wrapping wool around it to make the trunk. Then splitting the ends into branches and splitting again and wrapping them right to the ends. I wanted to do big floppy French knots for the leaves but it was impossible to get the needle through so I cut them out of felt and stitched them on with cotton.


One job left to do is put a back on it. It's only taken me about ten days to make it. A small fun picture, and it looks quirky. Churning them out now. Next........
Toodle pip.  ilona


17 comments:

  1. Wow awesome pieces it's amazing what u can do with junk and odds and ends x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brilliant idea, you really are the queen of recycling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really lovely Ilona.You could have your own Exhibition with all your beautiful Artwork x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is lovely. So creative and beautiful to look at too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a property arty piece and is the kind of thing that looks gorgeous on a wall. Please keep churning them out. I love seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so clever and from a discarded item! Brilliant! Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your imagination. Your great ideas look wonderful. Sincerely Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such imagination and talent!.Who would ever think that a fridge shelf could be made into something so lovely!You wouldnt have a clue as to what it was originally.Amazing!!...Just going off thread for a min...you must be used to me by now,lol...but have you seen how washing machine liquid can be made from conkers,for free?.You maybe know already,but for anyone who hasnt heard,try googling it!.As you can imagine,my house is full of conkers at the minute,lol,xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent! You need to have your latest work on display.

    ReplyDelete
  10. An amazing piece of work. I always love to see your work, I wonder what is going to see next.
    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. one of my faves of your creations; love the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always impressed at the amazing art you create!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your artwork makes me feel happy. Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic you're very inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like your design and art work! Very pretty and keep up the ideas and stitching, Ilona! Cheerio!!!

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.