Tuesday 25 June 2024

Real people.

 I had a drive out on Sunday afternoon to Barton upon Humber. I needed to get out of the house for a few hours. It was too hot, but I went anyway. The plan was to buy some special cider from the Shadow Brewery based at the Tile Centre. When I got there the place was packed. The sun had brought everybody out. Sadly, the brewery had sold out of toffee cider, so I left. 

Next I went to The Ropewalk to take a look at the exhibitions in the two art galleries. They didn't float my boat, not my type of art at all. I don't like ugly art. 

Oh well, I'll take a walk to the nearby Visitors Centre on the banks of the Humber. Not much going on there. People feeding the ducks. I used the toilet and browsed the gift shop. I walked back to the Ropewalk where I left my car. Boy was it hot, exhausting in fact. 

Tesco shares the same car park, so a good opportunity to pick up some bits of food shopping to tide me over until I make the next trip to Aldi. Unfortunately it was getting near to 4pm, closing time. I put a few essentials in my basket and left the store as it was closing. 

Another idea. While I was at Barton I remembered there is a hotel nearby which closed down some time ago. It was vandalised, and someone set fire to it. It used to be a really posh place, but from what I read, it wasn't managed very well. I decided to take a look at that. There might be some interesting photo's to be had. 

I drove down a back road and turned right down a track to a car park for the Country Park fishing lakes. I intended to walk to the hotel. It was so hot I wondered if it was going to be worth the effort. I was in two minds whether I should just give up and go home. Even though I had water with me, I really didn't want to be out too long in the afternoon heat. 

At that moment, a woman got out of her car, she was parked nearby. She said, 'Hello Ilona. I follow your blog and watch your videos'. How amazing is that. A quiet spot, only two other people around and they left, what are the chances of that happening. 

We had a lovely chat. So that was the bonus. From an outing that wasn't very exciting, I got to meet a lovely lady. The internet is a poor substitute for face to face conversations. Yes, it has a role for those with mobility issues. It can be a life line for those who cannot get out, but wherever  possible human interaction with another human beats it hands down. 

Now I am going to town to visit the Bank Hub at the library, to pay for my new roof. Yes I can do the transaction on the phone, but I want to see another human face. I want to speak to a real person. While I am there I will fill my trolley at Aldi, avoid the new self scan checkouts, and wait my turn for a real person to serve me, and of course pay with cash. Give them a smile and say thank you very much. 

Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona

12 comments:

  1. Hi Ilona,
    I haven't posted a comment recently but still follow your blog daily. I quite agree about human faces and speaking to people. I always pay by cash but feel that I am fighting a losing battle. keep blogging.
    Best wishes
    Colin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Colin, good to see you again. When you have strong principles about what is right and what is wrong, make your choices and stick with it. I have just spent £64 in cash in Aldi, on a till with a human serving me. I went to the Arts Centre and chatted with a friend who works there. A man came in who had a photograph in a recent exhibition. It was fascinating to ask him how he took the winning photograph. I chatted to the lady at the Barclays Hub when I paid a bill. A successful trip to town was far better than banking online, ordering food online, and messaging the friend on facebook. Don't feel that we are losing, we must win. Best regards.

      Delete
  2. Hi Ilona.
    I agree we must not give up. I always use cash where its possible. I still have an old fashioned PAYG phone too.
    Kind regards
    Eve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Eve. I know we have a mountain to climb, and it feels like we take one step forward and two steps back, but to lie down and take whatever they have planned for us is unthinkable.

      Delete
  3. I always pay cash and have a debit card just a s backup. On our holiday at the Lake Constance, there was a restaurant with a notice at the entrance that they would take cash only for bills up to 50 € and they even showed the way to the nearest ATM. They did accept debit cards for higher bills, but no credit cards. Of course we had our meal there and asked about the reasons and they told us they had to pay between 2 and 5 % to the credit cars companies, and with the higher minimum wage and the higher prices for everything the could not afford to loose so much money.
    After that, we looked out for similar rules for paying and found three more restaurants which asked for cash, too.
    So maybe we are not loosing at all.
    Hilde in Germany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Hilde. That's just what I do. I take enough cash out with me to cover the purchases I wish to make on that day. I don't have a credit card because I don't need credit. Remember when they said cash was dirty and would spread that nasty bug that was going around? Piffle of course. Just one of the many attempts to gain control of our spending habits. Small businesses adopting a cash only policy would be a good idea, for them and for us.

      Delete
  4. Debi from Leicester.How nice to see someone who reads your blog!.I would love to be walking along and see you! I am still keeping to only using cash and if a place doesnt take it...well they dont get my custom.My friend had a bit of a battle with her bank last week.She wanted to draw some money out to give to her grown up GrandkidsThe bank was insistent that she does it by bank transfer...she was fuming and said that she wanted to see the smile on their faces when she gave them the cash.It wasnt a huge amount.£1000 each towards them saving to buy a house.She got it in the end...but was fuming that they tried to tell her how she was to handle her own money that she had worked hard for all her life.She shouldnt have had to have that argument and it is all down to control.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie for that story. The reason I keep the comments open is that sometimes I get useful comments from those who are wide awake.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a good day out and yes I agree meeting people and having a face to face conversation is so much better than being in front of a screen.
    I’m posting a link to this as it sounds interesting. https://www.avenuesopengardens.org/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that information. Walking around looking into other people's gardens seems a good idea. Anyone finding this, it's in Hull by the way. A short hop over the bridge for me.

      Delete
  6. Hello Iliona ☺. I'm the woman you spoke to on Sunday in the car park at The Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust Nature Reserve. The fishing lakes are way over the other side of Barton, so don't anyone try and fish there, the fish there are for the Herons lol 🤣. We had a lovely chat didn't we, before we had to leave, as they were going to lockmthe gates. Great to meet you face to face, so to speak. Take care, and hope to see you again ☺ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. Good of you to drop by. Very nice to meet you. Amazing coincidence that you happened to be there at the same time as me. Glad you didn't just drive off. Always good to talk.

      Delete

Comments will be published after my approval.