Monday 25 September 2017

Skip diving super star

Hello. Plenty to do today. Bailey poodle walk first thing. Then Crafty Club, it was very busy, full house, new members. This afternoon I went round the corner and had a coffee with my neighbours who have recently lost their elderly cat. They had a sort out and as they don't plan on getting another fur baby, they donated their cat paraphernalia to our cat rescue. There was wet and dry food, litter, carriers, litter box, scratching posts, and blankets and towels. I had to take my car round there to pick it up.
Opposite their house is some building work going on at a big house which has recently been sold. I could see that things were being thrown in the skip on the front drive. Had to go and have a look. This is what I rescued. 
A sink which will make a quirky planter for my garden. I will have to make a wooden stand for it because the bottom is not flat. 
A wooden plate and cup stand which has been painted in the shabby chic style. It looks a bit of a mess and is a bit wonky, so with some repairs and a coat of paint I will upcycle it into something else.

Three shelves, also shabby chic. These are really solid, very heavy wood, my friend thinks they are oak. It weighs a ton, he had to carry it from the car for me. There must be some fabulous pieces of wood underneath that scabby paint. It will stay in the garage awaiting my attention, until I get an idea for it.

A piece of new carpet 4 ft x 4.5 ft. Good for the summer house. Colour not very obvious on the photo, it's green.

Useful pieces of clean wood. Some flat pieces which are laminated on one side. You can't have too much useful wood.

So, a very satisfying day, stuff rescued from landfill, and a donation for our rescue cats. People are kind.

Just to remind you that it's the last day of the month on Saturday, the last few days for the Walking Group to up their miles. Sunday the 1st will be check in day, and I am getting very excited that such a lot of you are sticking with the challenge. I had a few days off last week after my long walk, but I am back on the three miles a day again.

Thanks for popping in, we'll catch up soon.
Toodle pip

16 comments:

  1. You are a Superwoman-Superstar Ilona.You are a tonic.I have not had a good day today and you have made me feel much better.Moving on! -I just luv your rescues from the skip-shabby chic is what I adore.I'm afraid that a lot of my stuff is just shabby.The sink,shelf and the plate rack it's all gorgeous-well saved.It's far to good for landfill x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Flis...Well,if it helps,i have had a really ...bad day today...i was trying not to swear there!!.So,tonight ive looked on here and at least one other person in the world..you!...has been suffering with me!!.And i agree,Ilona is a tonic and helps you forget what a bad day you,ve had.Hope you are feeling a bit better now and trying to think of what we could do with those rescues.They are brilliant Ilona!,And great that you have more things for the rescue cats!!,Best Wishes,Debi,xx

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that Debi.My day started hopefully-went to a yoga class and then doggy walk and then my hemiplegic migraine spoiled my day.I saw my Dr who didn't give me much help.Ilona has been my medicine today and thankyou too.Hope your day has gotten better x

      Delete
  2. You know the saying Ilona "one good turn deserves another" and that is just what happened to you today. Look forward to seeing what you make with your new finds.
    Have fun.
    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shall be interested to see what you make with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a top hoard Ilona, I'm always amazed by all the stuff you find! I have started to notice skips now ha ha, when previously I ignored them. There was a large one on the driveway of some new flats near here, I had a look but it just contained some large pipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate. It depends what the pipes are made of. If they are asbestos don't touch them, but there again they shouldn't be in an open skip. If they are metal (iron) you need special tools to cut and weld them. If plastic and clean I would take them. Plastic can be cut with a saw. A long piece could be cut up into smaller varying lengths, stood upright in a cluster, fixed to a board, filled with compost and plants put in them.

      Delete
    2. Hi Ilona, I think they were some sort of heating pipes, hard to describe but they looked lightweight and sort of plasticky! I will have another look at them if the skip is still there this week, thanks for ideas:)

      Delete
  5. You could make a slight hole/depression in the yard. Or, you could make put bricks under the sides to keep it upright.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too have an old sink that I removed from the bathroom. I wanted to make it a planter in the backyard, but haven't decided exactly how to place it. I'd love to see what you will do with your sink.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I give. Please would you explain "Crafty Club"? I have seen this term on a number of UK blogs and thought it was a group of like-minded people getting together to chat and make things, but my daughter says she thinks it's seniors planning the next great train robbery (hence the "crafty"). Many thanks and hugs from Barbara (Canada)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. I added the letter 'y' to the word craft. We are a group of ladies who take our own projects in and sit round a table chatting. To give it the proper title, it's Chat and Craft.

      Delete
  8. Hurray for your eagle-eyed finds!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've just thought ,I wonder whether you had considered an all day swimming lido for your frog and other little creatures with your new rescue.Last week I opened my back door after 9pm and a frog,. only about I inch long hopped in-he turned left hopped behind the sink ,behind my clutter,which I had to move,then he hopped behind the logo.More clutter to move but at last I caught him with a plastic bug catcher and put him back outside near a small trough which I have pond weed in x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear not logo,sorry its my spell checker -loo x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fab skip diving! I have two sinks in my garden but also an old toilet that I grow herbs in! Just a great talking point. Love the plate rack and my husband says you can never have enough wood!

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.