Saturday 27 April 2019

I can make those.

A few months ago I found these embroidery silks in a charity shop. They were in a bag for £2.50. A good buy I thought. My embroidery threads are in a bit of a tangle loose in a box, so I thought these plastiky bits were a good way to keep them tidy. 
I think it must be a bit of a laborious task to transfer silks onto these , but at least it's easy to find the colours you need.

 I don't know how much it costs to buy the plastic bits, but why not make them for nothing. Some plastics are easy to cut with nail scissors.

There you are, two home made spools, now how many more do I need.

They don't cost very much to buy, on eeeeebay I found 100 for £3.29 with free postage. As I don't buy off the internet and I am not registered with eeeebay, and as I prefer to pay cash, I won't bother. I can make them.

The storage boxes to put them in are also for sale. I've found one for £6.49, free postage. I have made my own out of a cat food pouch box, cut down to size. This will do me fine.

Has anyone been over to John's blog yet, he is doing a feature entitled, 'My Corner'. Everyone sends in a photo of their favourite corner of their house or garden, and he posts them on his blog. Some lovely places to sit and relax and spend quality time doing hobbies or whatever. I sent him my corner. Craft table by the back window looking out over the garden. I picked up a smashing free lamp from my Aunties house clearance, now I can carry on working when it gets dark outside. Have a look, interesting to peek.You'll have to keep going back because more are arriving daily.
 

Looking like a day indoors today. Windy and showery. Plenty to do.  ilona

11 comments:

  1. My embroidery thread holders are cardboard, dead cheap and snag-free. I've been following and loving John's corners and have sent my little sewing corner in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tkank you for good idea,gteetings from Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like shadypinesqltr, my embroidery floss holders are white cardboard. I write the number from the embroidery skein label on the top of the holder. So when a cross-stitch design calls for certain colors (by number) it is easy to see if I have them. I’m not as creative as you, Ilona, and generally follow the colors listed on the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea for reusing!I am going to try this for my scrunchies,to tie my hair up with that I keep on the shelf behind the bed.Ive only got 3 but the cats tend to jump on there and knock them off.Im also going to try it with some earphones that get very tangled..,my wire from old christmas lights that I keep for tying my plants and also elastic bands that I keep in a reused jam jar.This will take up a lot less space.Ive never thought of cutting the cat food boxes down!.I use mine for filling the freezer as it starts to empty and keep onions and potatoes in them in a dark cupboard so they last longer.This gives me another use for them!.I also put mine ripped up in the compost..but there is also quite a few that go into the recycling bag.Earings could be put on the plastic as well...Oh now my mind is racing to see what else it could be used for!.Thank you for the idea!!...Yes,I have been reading Johns blog too and loving the photos!...Its been an awful day here in Leicester too.Cold,damp and rainy.I still managed to get out though even if it was just a short walk down to my Mams.At least it saves watering the garden!,xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mother sorted hers by color and stacked the skeins of embroidery floss in the empty boxes your checks come in. I use a combination of the white cardboard floss holders and specialty case with plastic sandwich bags sorted by color.

    Do the ones you have made, have rough edges? And if they do, could you take a emery board or a file and smooth up the edges so the floss doesn't snag? Or is that even a problem?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your little corner is lovely Ilona, very peaceful and happy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Difficult to decide which corner to show. At the other end of the room are the two computers and sewing machine.

      Delete
  7. I enjoy seeing your corner, where so much creativity takes place! Great idea to make your own thread holders.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea, especially if you have a lot of silks. I think you may be missing a trick Ilona by not having an Ebay account. We have often searched for something in town ie a part for our electric shower springs to mind and spent valuable time going round the shops and coming home defeated. Checked Ebay only to find what we wanted at reasonable cost. We have to price the cost of fuel too living in a rural location. Supporting our local shops is important but sometimes Ebay is a godsend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's ok, I'm happy to miss that trick. If I lived in the back of beyond I might use the site, but I have access to shops.

      Delete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.