Tuesday 15 June 2021

Here is the news.

 A fresh brand new news channel was launched on Sunday night. GB News UK is off to a promising start to deliver non biased news from all parts of the UK, and the world, and from all walks of life. They have a team of experienced journalists and presenters, and it's looking like they are going to report on a wide range of news items. Their tag line is, 'If it matters to you, it matters to us'. I am catching it live on their web site, it is available in other places, I haven't looked into that. 

Their regional reporters are out and about speaking to ordinary people about local issues. The studio teams are knitting it all together, with their lively chatty format. It has a positive spin on it, and is looking more well balanced than the established main stream media. It makes a refreshing change from the cardboard cut outs who are paid mega amounts of dosh to look glam and read from an autocue. 

It's early days. They have had their share of negative comments spouted on social media platforms, mainly I think because it's going to shake things up a bit. As far as I can see the only agenda that they have is to tell it like it really is, which is going to cause some angst among those who are half asleep. 

I won't be watching it every day all day, I will pick bits up from the Twittteratta. I am not going to become a news junkie. 

I think we need to make the best of the sunshine while it is still here. Thunderstorms are predicted. Time for breakfast. Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona

11 comments:

  1. I think they are more along the lines of controlled opposition, whilst appearing to be a bit more edgy. Time weill tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give them a month or two to settle in.

      Delete
    2. I hope I am proved wrong. I guess I have become very cynical over the past year, especially with so many people being 'de-platformed' and sites being taken down for not having the 'correct' view. I knew years ago that freedom of speech was an illusion unless one has the correct view, but the past year has been crazy. I did see today that (and I quote): 'The Swedish cider producer Kopparberg has announced that it will be pulling advertisements from the recently launched ‘anti-woke’ GB News after left-wing activists compiled a list of the network’s advertisers to boycott'.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I read about the advertisement thing. There seems to be a concerted effort to block freedom of speech. It can only lead to more divisions. I may not like what some people say, but I don't have to listen.

      Delete
  2. Non-biased? They are explicitly exempt! That's the whole point of them being set up! We can certainly argue about how well existing broadcast news adheres to the regulatory requirement by which they are bound and how well the regulations are policed, and some might like to have something like Fox News, especially those who like to be 'entertained' or revved up, but non-biased, no, they will be taking positions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You seem to have made your mind up pretty quickly. I would rather give them a chance.

      Delete
    2. They are very right wing. So it's a no from me. I forsee a continuation of the culture wars, which isn't even a real thing, to continue to divide and conquer.

      Delete
    3. All this right wing / left wing is nonsense. People have different opinions, that's all.

      Delete
  3. I can barely hear this channel on my telly, tried both sky and freeview. Production levels are coming across as quite amateurish so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give them a chance, they are working on it. They tweeted this morning. . . .
      Our team has been working hard to get our audio right. We've made a number of improvements to the sound overnight - let us know if it's made a difference in your home. We're small, new and building as we go.

      Delete
  4. i did like that someone had christened them GBeebies on line , not for me but my mother will love it

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.