Thursday 2 December 2021

A look at Gainsborough

I thought I might have to have a stay at home day today, big flurries of snow were falling at 7.30am. Thank goodness it didn't last for long. I got my bits and bobs ready and off I went to Gainsborough. I haven't been there for a long time. I remember walking through it when I was on a long walk along the River Trent. I needed to find a bed for the night and found a cheap one on Morton Terrace. 
This is All Saints Church close to the Town centre. It is pretty impressive. I made a video of it which I will put on tomorrow after it has been loaded onto yoooohoootooob. 
Close by is Gainsborough Old Hall. I did a shorter video of this as it was locked and I couldn't go inside. 


Across the road is this lovely building, it's the Library. 
I found my way onto the Riverside Walk. The sun was blinding me as it reflected off the water. 


This is the main road bridge over it. The A631. 

A little bit of information about the Aegir. It's a bit like the Severn Bore. You might be able to read it if you click on it. It will enlarge. You can find some information about it here. Someone filmed it close to where I was standing. See it here. 

This is the Trinity Arts Centre. There is a theatre inside with a stage. I used to come here quite a lot with my then boyfriend to watch stand up comedy. I decided I wanted to have a go at that so rang them up and booked a slot on the Open Mike session. I was a bit nervous, it was scary, but I managed to get a few laughs. It was much harder than doing a forty minute presentation in front of a group audience.  
This lovely building looks like it was a picture house, but there were no signs on it. 
I was starting to get hungry, I only took a few biscuits with me. I went to Tesco because I had some vouchers to spend. I bought a few extra items and put the money to it. I sat on a bench and devoured a small cheese and onion quiche. 

A twenty minute walk back to the car, and home. It was flippin freezing cold. 

Thanks for popping in. Catch ya tomorrow. Toodle pip.   ilona

5 comments:

  1. That's somewhere I'd love to visit - the architecture looks amazing. Thank you for the link on the Trent Aegir - not heard of that before, but know about the Severn Bore (would love to see that).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that people have been able to surf on the Sever Bore. I don't think the Trent version is strong or fast enough to do that.

      Delete
  2. I had forgotten that I had been to Gainsborough, but it was one of the first holidays I ever blogged about. You kindly sent me some leaflets and a recommendation for an excellent free museum to visit in Lincoln! Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got a good memory. I can't remember that.

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos of an interesting walk. Just walking and taking note of my surroundings is therapy for me and calming for the soul.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.